1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an Airplane?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steak Travis, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Pffft light single :Poke:

I did banner towing for a few yrs in So Cal. I really liked it it was fun. The restrictions after 9/11 cut down a lot of the stadium event flying.

I gotta fly next to a ford trimotor pulling a banner a few times. That was freaking sweet! I would love to have seen him pick up the banner.

2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

After I got my private, me and a buddy stopped by a banner towing field on the eastern shore. The old guy running the place was really laxed and told us to wander around wherever we want, just don't get hit. We walked down to the goalpost looking thing that held the banner line and watched those dudes snagging banners for at least an hour. I was facinated by it. The whole drop, circle back and snag the next routine was so well orchestrated.
    That said, you gotta really love flying to sweat your ass off all day in a Cub pulling banners for $10/hr.

3. Dave Wolfe

Yeah, but no students to deal with, and YOU get to fly.

And I was getting way more than $10 ;)

4. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Another pilot checking it.

also in the race for 1500. I teach and do corporate part time. Currently 900 hours.

I fly a Mojave and Aerostar for a couple local companies. Pretty cool planes.

5. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Yeah I may see about corporate when I can but so far most are looking for higher time guys because they are out there. My multi time is better than most in my position but i need to get my total time up.

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Speaking of Foreflight, I worked with the founder / CEO for a few years before he started the company. We were both at a startup, I left, he went to grad school. After he graduated he started ForeFlight. The company we both worked for was owned by a couple of guys who were pilots. Other guy started flying lessons but I don't think he finished before grad school. I caught up with him after he sold the company to Boeing. I think he's rolling in a TBM 900 now. The effer is two years younger than me and also now sits on the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum board. Am I bitter? Yes.

7. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I can’t believe anyone still keeps a Mojave running.

8. SteveThompson

I assume you’re talking about Jason. He and I have spoken a few times. I’m on the TBM Owner’s and Pilot’s Association board of directors. He seems like a good guy. We also both support an organization called Able Flight. I’ve seen him at their event at Oshkosh.

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Tyson

10. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

had to google TBM940.....wow....what a beautiful airplane!!

11. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

It’s a great plane.... when it’s not broken.

In all reality it’s been really reliable except for one issue we are still trying to fix. It eats pressure pumps in the decent. 2 mechanics later still no dice. Hopefully soon.

12. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

Turbine singles is the way to go if you have money, but not stupid money. I flew a Pilatus doing air ambulance for 2 years back in the day. If I had the money, I'd get one in a heartbeat. It's the family truckster of airplanes. We could fit our bikes in the back pretty easily. I wonder if you could STC the Pitbull TRS? Lol

23103a likes this.
  13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

There's a picture of the PC24 with a sportbike in the cargo area. Is that yours?

14. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

holy smokes that thing is nice

15. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

Ha, I wish. The PC24 looks pretty badass as well. The family truckster of corporate jets.

16. SteveThompson

A $12M family truckster

Photo likes this.
  17. Dave Wolfe

A cherokee 6 is more in my price range for a truck

Actually cost about the same as a new truck

18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

It’s amazing. I don’t know what’s worse a 6 for 80-120k or that a new truck can cost that much....

19. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Kicking the tires with people and old pilot friends and should be flying a Mooney around getting some hours.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  20. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Don't know much about the Mojave but I worked on an Aerostar a few times. It had the twin turbo charges engines on it and scooted along pretty fast. I think it was supposed to be the fastest piston twin airplane (not including military). The engines were a pain to work on because there wasn't much space around them.