1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohvale vs rs/tz150r for Training

Discussion in 'General' started by Foolius, Oct 16, 2020.

1. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

If
    If you can get past the fact it’s made in China then it’s a great option for the price. Much larger than an ohvale and decent power/weight ratio.

2. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Another one for a 450 supermoto. You can ride it like a sport bike, parts are cheap and crash extremely well.... plus unlike the Ohvales you can use it for motocross and trails.

3. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

4. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

Who is selling these?

5. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Not sure how good it would be on a kart track.

The new Ohvale GP-2 will fit just about anybody now and is VERY comfortable to ride...and I’d be willing to bet would lap faster at a kart track than the Tianda.

6. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

These discussions always seem to include an rs chassis with the 150r or cr85 engine or some variation of that. Why not an rs chassis with the real rs125r engine? Is there something that prevents that from being a good track bike or a good learning tool?

7. racerx13

On a kart track the internal gearing is way off. You’d never leave first gear.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Hard to ride on small tracks mostly

9. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I saw ad on los Angeles CL. Looked like distributor for them.

WANABE RACER likes this.
  10. racerx13

I believe the main US distro is svracingparts.com. The owner regularly advertises over FB

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Aren't those Heroic? In which case Todd is selling them himself.

12. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Actually I just bought them from a friend of the Haydens who had them made as a tribute to Nicky. Couldn't pass up the bargain and pretty much the only number I'd have on my leathers besides my own.

13. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

A8B919E9-B6B6-413C-A830-DC4E6ED97D0D.jpeg Aprilia RS50/KX65

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Also the maintenance of a RS125 is pretty high. You get all the speed you need out of a RS85 or RS150 and the maintenance on a mini track is next to nothing compared to real RS125 maintenance. On a real RS125 you are putting in a piston, at least on a big track every 1-3 weekends and if you ride a lot, 1-2 crankshafts per year. Plus you have to pay attention on a real RS125 to warming it up very well, and making sure if the ring land starts to collapse, you pull the cylinder and hit the land with a triangular stone and reassemble.

On a WERA weekend, we often would practice on Friday if there was a track day. After each practice day, the top end usually came off to inspect the piston and ring, etc. Sometimes, depending on mileage a new piston would go on, and then you need to heat cycle it. More than once, I remember changing the a piston in Vegas and pushing the bike to the far end of the track so no one could here me and heat cycling the thing at 1 am so it would be ready for another heat cycle the next morning, before my kid would ride it.

When my kid ran a RS65, RS85 and then a RS150R. It was just gas and go, plus tires occasionally. On the 150R we did change the oil every weekend, if I remember correctly, and checked the valves once in awhile. But still next to no maintenance compared to RS125 maintenance. The good thing on the RS125, is the maintenance is very easy to do, since they are made to be taken apart easily. By the age of 13-14 Tyler started doing all the top ends, because I'm lazy and had grown tired of it. I still did the crank replacement, usually at work, and he wasn't around.

Senna likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

From what I've been told the RS65 chassis combo handles better than the Aprilla, but not 100% sure that is true, since my kid never rode one of them.

Some kids out here had Metrakit's with KX65's in them. Joe Roberts rode one for a couple years at least. We tried a Metrakit 50 and while it was extremely fast, the handling was not very good for my son, compared to a NSR or the RS bikes. After asking around and speaking with Matt Roberts, Phil Hartl and Mike Ochs, racer dads, the way they got them working was paying a pretty good amount of money to some suspension company, maybe Racetech, to change it up. I want to say it was over $2k, and at that point I hadn't started spending anything on suspension, so I just said forget that and sold the Metrakit.

That is the other cool thing about a RS chassis. At least for kids, you can run the stock suspension and it works great on kart tracks. Actually when he raced the RS125 on big tracks for 3 years we always ran stock suspension. It is really good and the bike/rider was so light it worked pretty well.

Senna likes this.
  16. Marcos415

Marcos415 Well-Known Member

Blair Layton at SVracingparts.com he’s a good dude. I bought a Kayo off him.

WANABE RACER likes this.