1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying an Airplane?

Discussion in 'General' started by Steak Travis, Aug 6, 2020.

1. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Stay classy. There were two people in that cockpit that night. They both made mistakes and in retrospect they both could have been better equipped for the task at hand that evening. To chalk it up to “he was an idiot” is grossly simplifying what happened. That attitude also hinders the modern safety culture. If everyone is an idiot, why change sop’s, reg’s or equipment for the better?

In the end, the crew had families that miss them just as much as the passengers families. Tragedy all around.

SteveThompson likes this.
  2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I would blame both crew members in the same fashion, since they both sat back and watched themselves crash. If I watch the NTSB recreation of that accident it still makes me sick. Having been employed at that company for quite a while, and when that happened, it would never have happened before ALPA became involved.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yes they both messed up. But the captain was flying and not only ignored the stick shaker..he pulled up. And when the stick pusher fired he pulled thru that as well. WTF. That is like flight lesson #1 when...dont pull back when you stall. That's why I called him and idiot. Because his idiotic actions killed all those people.

Just like that idiot in AF 447 who stalled the plane at 38,000 ft and rode it, stick back, all the way to the water.

beechkingd likes this.
  4. Jay Hodge

Jay Hodge Well-Known Member

Congrats man, good job.

Did you buy an airplane to build hours? Great way to do it, by the way.

5. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Actually, pulling up is likely how he was trained. In a large turbo prop every stall recovery I've been in during maintenance check flights or during training flights was simultaneously adding power and pulling back to recover. He was just so far behind, that he couldn't recover and didn't get the power back in soon enough. They never push the nose down like in a small aircraft. He left the AP on below the altitude it was supposed to be off, pulled the power back to descend and didn't increase power when it leveled out at the new altitude. He just wasn't paying attention to the airspeed tape and most likely froze when the AP cavalry charge/shaker/pusher more or less all went off at the same time.

6. Jay Hodge

Ughh, no. He was stupid and lacked basic flying skills.

Red Fox Racing likes this.
  7. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

another CFI, at the school, his family has a baron and I'm supposed to get on their insurance and me and the dude are going to fly it all over the place and split fuel as well as instruct. More expensive than a single but cheaper multi time will be gold

8. Jay Hodge

Stall, reduce angle of attack. Fucking simple

Steak Travis likes this.
  9. Jay Hodge

Awesome, get all that multi time you can.

you will enjoy this ride!

10. Steak Travis

I got down to 24 mph today with a head wind. Probably could have gotten a little slower. First flight and the guy was worried about falling out of the sky so demonstrated some slow flight. Then I stalled it and we didn't didn't fall out of the sky because of that ol reduction of AOA . I even waited to add power just to show him how it doesn't want to fall out of the sky with no power but just lowering the nose got us more airspeed and lift.

He's been texting me all afternoon about how awesome it was and couldn't believe we did all that. I made sure before showing him he was comfortable obviously with what we were about to do

HPPT likes this.
  11. Jay Hodge

Yep, people make it out to be way more complicated than it is...you stalled? Well go ahead and reduce the angle of attack! Guess what, she’ll fly again!

12. Steak Travis

my first two students I signed off for check rides passed today. One commercial multi and another was an MEI. My private student also had the light bulb click on landings today and hope to have him solo soon.

I was basically the only Mei at the school until today, I told my student he’s not allowed to steal any new Multi people that come :) but it’s nice building multi time.

however I’m not building total time fast enough and thinking of how to get an airplane and split fuel has me up past mid night now

there is a 1947 c140 I can rent cheap it’s a lot of fun to fly but not sure I want to spend much time in it

Rugbydad and Photo like this.
  13. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

Congrats on getting all your ratings. If the flight instruction isn't getting you enough hours, look into banner towing, aerial photography, pipe line ect. Back in my day, I was doing 100 hours a month with aerial photography. If you are still looking for a plane, I think I will be selling mine this summer. It's a 1954 Bonanza E35. We've had it in the family for over 20 years. My dad is no longer flying and I want to upgrade to an A36. Good luck with the time building.

14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

[​IMG]

I took this screenshot of ForeFlight earlier today on my flight home. That’s pretty fast for a single engine airplane. :D

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Jesus, what the hell were you flying?

23103a likes this.
  16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

One of those Navy UFOs obviously.

17. Steak Travis

TBM's are fast

this is the 140 85HP!!
    [​IMG]

18. SteveThompson

TBM910

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Some days, I hate you.

20. SteveThompson

I flew a new TBM940 to my meeting last week. G3000, auto throttle, auto load, auto errrthang.

Gino230 likes this.