1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is VR46 toasting his rear tire for the past several seasons?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Apr 6, 2021.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Rossi complain about edge grip and corner speed. This implies the problem is drive grip, which is not on the edge of the tire. And the force at the contact patch doesnt change no matter how much the bike doesnt lean over. So its probably not this.

Full lap charts are available on Motogp.com. But they aren't that helpful in the way that you want. At high wear tracks, the riders purposefully don't push for some laps in order to save grip for the end. Today's Michelins aren't like Bridgestones where the riders can push 100% for the whole race and turn lap records at the end with less fuel. Also, the spec electronics don't protect the tires as well as the full factory electronics from back then. They only have 3 diff maps for Fuel, EB, and TC (9 maps total), IIRC. Sometimes they change maps to save fuel, sometimes to protect tires, something for something else. All effect the lap time and make it really hard to analyze.

GP is really close these days. Rossi's latest Qatar race times are 42:37.5 in 2019, 42:39.3 R1 2021, and 42:38.2 R2 2021. He was 5th in 2019 only 0.6sec back, but only managed 12th and 16th with the later times. He's not slow. He's just not getting faster like everyone else at some tracks. Everyone in front of Rossi for R2 2021 was faster than the 2019 winning time. That's nuts!

3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

LOL yea, no.

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Get that shit outta here......don't you know where you are?

stangmx13 likes this.
  5. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Thats really cool data. Crazy how close the race times are.

stangmx13 likes this.
  6. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Get the GOAT some foot anchors!

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

and some stickboy tire wear savers...

8. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

The lean angle measured is from the bike , not the rider. Look at all the current riders and they’re all getting about the same. If they could go more, they would.
    Now the body’s position when leaned over could have an affect on tire wear because of where the weight is distributed.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

If you dig a bit deeper you'll find they loved the front BStone but not so much the rear so tire management was still a big thing. And comparing 16.5" tires to 17" isn't a fair comparison.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I guess i thought 17s are better, are you saying they aren’t? I honestly didn’t know the latest bridgestones or the current michelin’s are 16.5’s just thought they were all 17’s?

I remember when supermotos were on 16.5 but that died off? I thought it was like 16 fronts from the old interceptor, an idea that seemed good at the time but wasn’t?

I know F1 is going from little 12 or 13” up to I think 17s and I suspect that will cause issues as they try to make the suspension do what the sidewall used to do on the old F1 tires.

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

You caught me a few minutes from a glass of red and some dinner so give me a few.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

14. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

The big riders are having issues...Petrux too

~sent from mobile

16. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

He should show his tire wear to dave moss

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

or Sete

18. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

I wonder if the power of the ducati and honda has pushed the yamaha riders and engineeers to try to make up some of that deficit on corner exit? When in previous years, they have been able to more gently apply throttle and maintain a competitive top speed, now they have to dial in more power sooner???

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Two full pages that no one has suggested the obvious, most achievable and, let's face it, slightly shameful solution to this problem: he needs to embrace his inner-Barbera and wait for a tow in FP3 and qualifying. Nobody is making Rossi start from the pit lane. They would be looking for a job on Monday.

If he can start from the second row, he can probably salvage a top 10.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

16.5 WSBK tires were replaced with 17” rubber by Pirelli in 2013 and MotoGP switched to 17s when Bridgestone pulled out of the series in 2015. It’s difficult to explain but the simple explanation is the tire companies felt that 16.5 technology was about done and developing 17” tires would support/help street tire development into the future. And I'm not saying 17' tires aren't better. What's changed in the last 10 years is the tire technology meaning how they're built, how the compound(s) are mixed and the chemicals in the tread/carcass compounds. So it's a mute point since 16.5 rr tires are gone, but the tires have improved and so have the bikes. And Supermoto 16.5 fronts are still the favorite so companies like Metzeler, Michelin, and D are offering them.

In regards to F1 I remember the car guys telling me back in 2009/10 they wanted to immediately switch to larger diameter tires (from current 13”) but it was decided that it should be done gradually. And the reason again was it would help improve street tire products. So, they are testing 18s this year and switching in 2022.