V.I.R

Discussion in 'General' started by castoracing, Aug 4, 2001.

1. castoracing

castoracing Well-Known Member

I plan on going to VIR on August 18th does anyone have any idea if there is anything to do down there? I plan on being there on thursday with the wife and kids we are looking for something to do.

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

there is a good sea-food place up on the hill. lots of good food reasonable prices. othere than that, i dont know

3. Aaron Stevenson

Aaron Stevenson Well-Known Member

check out http://www.virclub.com There should be some info there on local stuff. Info on Friday's practice is at http://www.cornerspeed.net
    Look under schedule and FAQ's concerning open-practice. Most hotels and eateries are on Riverside Rd.

4. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

You could take the kids horse back riding. There are some stables to contact through the chamber of commerce on the VIRclub website. The Dan River Memorial Park is also nice.

5. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

There's a lot to do only 25-45 minutes east of VIR in the "Lake Country" region. Fer instance:
    • (I know this is NASCAR, but you asked....) On Saturday night, August 18, South Boston Speedway is holding the Hooter's Pro Cup/USAR 250 lap race that will be televised on a delayed basis on Speedvision. Lots of car racing, Hooters girls, Speedvision, Saturday night short track racing in center of bubba alley...look at it as an eye-opening, cultural experience for any family from New York state. Don't try the fried bologna sandwich...I repeat, don't try the fried bologna sandwich...aww, what the heck, when you're in Rome, do as the Romans do.
    When you head out of VIR's front entrance, take left instead of taking right that heads to Milton, N.C. or Danville. Drive about 4 miles, take left (north) on Rt. 119; drive about four miles, to U.S. 58, take right (east); drive about 20 miles to intersection of U.S. 58 and U.S. 360 (second stoplight in Riverdale section of South Boston); drive three miles east on U.S. 360 and track is on the right...you can't miss it. Every bubba within a 50 mile radius will be there. (Hey, Hooters girls in SoBo. It likes Christmas, happens only once a year.) See www.southbostonspeedway.com for more info.

• About one mile before you get to the speedway on right is Ernie's Restaurant. Out-of-towners love it...It 's a "high-end" authenic country cooking restaurant that has a huge buffet (seafood on Friday nights). Good value for a huge amount of "home cooking" Southern chow.

• If you like water sports...keep going east on U.S. 58 for 20 miles past the turnoff to South Boston Speedway. Buggs Island Lake; North Carolinians call it Kerr Lake. Second largest man-made lake on east coast. Several state maintained day use swimming areas. Arrangements can be made for boat rentals, jet ski, bass fishing, etc. See the Clarksville Lake Country Chamber of Commerce website. I forget its web address...just put into search.

• Two best restaurants around lake: Lighthouse Cafe just east of Clarksville right on U.S. 58. Excellent !
    The Copper Kettle, 10 miles east of Clarksville and best seafood in region (couple that own and operate it are transplants from Maryland, Chesapeake Bay area.) Excellent! It also has cool night life with the lake homeowners crowd who come to party and feast (music too, Buffet kinda place) on Saturday nights. No bubbas will be there August 18, they'll all be at South Boston Speedway. Just turn into the Town of Boydton on U.S. 58 Business (an old courthouse town that is a trip itself). Go through downtown (takes eight seconds) and just before getting back to main U.S. 58, it's on the right...can't miss it.

6. zx6r535

zx6r535 Active Member

Thanks everyone for the info very helpful like always

7. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

This may be way out of the way for you but I thought I would mention something else for the kids. There is a really cool water amusement park in Greensboro. It is called Emerald Pointe on I-85 at the Holden Road Exit. Greensboro North Carolina is about an hour and 15 minutes South of VIR. Anyway, Emerald Pointe is a blast and it is an all day event for all ages.

8. stickboy274

i wanna go. take me take me

9. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

No problem, Stick, but you gotta pay your own way into the water park.

10. stickboy274

aaww man. thats no fun. well i'll come up anyway.

11. mad brad

mad brad Guest

that place is actually called "wet-n-wild" now,it used to be called emerald point.new owners i guess.sorry laurie,but i don't live too far from there.

12. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

Hey Laurie and Brad do you remember when it was called Water Country USA? Now that's been a while.

Chris

As for other things to do your not to far from Hyco Lake if I remember. Now that I live in Atlanta I'm a little out of the social activties for Greensboro.

[This message has been edited by WERA476 (edited 08-08-2001).]