1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

400 vs 600 discussion...again

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, Mar 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Marcos415

Marcos415 Well-Known Member

I do race and have lots of fun despite doing it on a little bike. I jumped into this thread to inform the OP that at times he will wish he had more power doing track days but you can still have fun if you adjust your mindset. Riding in the intermediate group gives me the opportunity of getting some clean runs in where I don’t have to do much passing or getting passed and that’s what I like at track days. To each their own.

TurboBlew and DmanSlam like this.
  2. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I'm 'sold' on the fact that small bikes at track days probably won't be fun, or as safe as a bigger bike. And that's really a shame. I've learned more on my minimoto bikes that have transferred over to the big bike than vice versa.

3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I think the track can be a big part of that. I know some that run the smaller bikes at Shenny then the next day run the big bike at main. That said I’ve seen more than a few smaller bikes at the bigger tracks and having fun.
    All boils down to what your wanting to do. But it’s always a good time to buy a new bike

4. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

Dropping down from A to B because of the litre bikes in A makes little sense. Just as many in B with less skilled riders on them.
    Not better and maybe worse.
    Simple solution is a Lightweight group. Track Day providers won’t do it. Racing clubs do.
    I do agree the particular track can make a difference in the top speed differential such as the aforementioned Shenny where big bikes are not close to their top speed potential.
    Small groups make a difference too.
    As stated to each his/her own. If in doubt go watch each and talk to riders/racers participating. Maybe before you buy a bike.
    Cheers and have fun first and foremost

5. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say that’s a fact. I’ve been taking my little 300 to track days for a while now and with out any major issues. If you can run half ass smooth clean lines you’ll be fine.