1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jesus Christ is the only way to eternal life?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by josephalghrary, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Greetings all,

--Thank you for your replys, the good, the bad, and the ugly. And yes, I drew heavily in my last post from Dr. Norman Geisler's "Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics." If any of you are interested in studying this issue further, I highly reccomend it. If you are a Christian, then it will help build your faith. If you are not a Christian, it will no doubt give you much to consider.

--Now the original question I was presented with was the idea or ability to know the morals of God or His attributes. But it seems that many have stumbled on my second part of this three part argument.

--My intent was to continue this argument by not only proving God's attributes, but proving the Bible as God's only inspired revelation of Himself. I also want to demonstrate that Jesus Christ was in fact who he said he was, God. And finally, I would like to demonstrate and confirm the fact that many of you fear so greatly.... THAT JESUS CHRIST IS THE ONLY WAY TO ETERNAL LIFE:

"I AM THE WAY THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE. NO ONE COMES TO THE FATHER EXCEPT THROUGH ME." (JOHN 14:6)

SO, I know that many of you are not satisfied with the reasoning thus far.

Yet, if any one now has particular questions or contentions I would like to try to answer them. None of you seem to be able to logically deny the necessity for an UNCAUSED CAUSE which is eternal. Thus, from that point forward I will try to address anyone's questions or comments on WHAT OR WHO THAT UNCAUSED CAUSE IS, AND HOPEFULLY TACKLE OUR ORIGINAL QUESTION ON THE MORAL ATTRIBUTES OF GOD.

----FINALLY, Let it be known that I am a Chrisitan Pastor and motorcycle rider. I am much more interested in helping any of you than winning arguments. If any of you are having trouble with spiritual questions or have sincere problems, I have private mail and will gladly help you any way I can, including prayer.

And so, I am ready to answer on these threads the serious questions or contentions you may have.

Thank you, and remember that the day our beliefs will be put to the final test is quickly approaching. That day may be here very soon for some of us, who knows?

May God guide us all into His Truth,

your fellow rider, who currently has nothing to ride,

Joseph

2. chameleon68

chameleon68 Anti-whatever

The only reason we "need" an uncaused cause is because otherwise, we end up with an unending cycle (who created God, then who created that, then who created that and so on to infinity).

Providing an uncaused cause is like providing a god - it only helps us discuss that which we cannot know/understand/discuss. That doesn't make it real. Although we may need to use an uncaused cause for argument's sake, that also doesn't and can't lead us to a Christian God since many other religions as well as physics would also qualify as an uncaused cause.

Again, you can believe what you want to believe and that can never be argued against. You run into problems when you start using logic to prove things that aren't logical and can't be proven.

A book suggestion to add to your reading list is "Philosophy of Religion Selected Readings" by Michael Peterson, et al. Most of the arguments you've used are in it as well as other arguments from other views.

3. tcasby

tcasby Banned

How can one have eternal life if the universe is finite? What is happen to all our souls when time no longer exists?

4. It is good to see my opponent admit the logical necessity for an uncaused cause. So then we no longer need to combat athiesm. Now we CAN REASON from the admitted necessity of that eternal uncaused cause to the God of the Bible.

Also, eternal life is given by the only eternal being. We will be changed, our mortality will put on immortatlity, our corruption, incorruption and thus we will have eternal life both spiritually and physically in the new creation.

Thank you, again
    Joseph

5. Richard Lesher

Richard Lesher Well-Known Member

<<Jesus Christ is the only way to eternal life?>>

That really sucks for all those folks who were around before Jesus. :rolleyes:

Humanity on a whole lacks the capacity to understand eternal and finite within the infinite.

Take a moment to imagine the universe, as you know it as a whole. Put in your mind the infinity you can imagine.

Then take a pen, and peck a piece of paper to put the smallest dot on it you can. Now, imagine that dot represents everything you had just a moment ago used to represent the entire universe.

It now seems what was once so immense is now rather small.

We have no concept of eternity. Should there indeed be a divine entity we are far less to that entity than an ant would be to us in an ant farm.

So how is it all things seem to come down to eternal well-being are dependent upon humanities actions which are infinitely small and irrelevant in an infinitely large creation.

It is likely humanity's reaction to pain and suffering we seek to cure with religion and promises of grand eternal fortunes.

As well, I greatly do not understand those religions which promise those in eternity which we desire when mortal. Separated from the flesh would our motivations also change from our desires which are tied to the fundamental building blocks of being merely animals with a highly structured social complex.

Be good to people now, enjoy your time here. Any eternity there may be will be nothing like what you think you may be prepared for.

6. mrussell

mrussell Staff

Even if an atheist were to accept the questionable logic of the 'uncaused cause', he does not have to accept it is God.

7. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Time is a concept that was created by God. Therefore the creation holds no power over its creator, as God existed before the concept of time existed.

AND FURTHERMORE!

Where's boy george????: :Poke: :Poke: :D

8. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Joesph - excellent execution of the set 'em up/knock 'em down method:D

9. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

questionable logic? please explain to me what element of the cause and effect argument is questionable? (no sarcasm intended...i really want to know :))

And...what is God in his purest/simplest form if not a knowledgeable creator outside of our known universe...so i spose your right on that aspect...one doesn't have to accept it is God, but it does require that one believe in the supernatural event taking place in which nothing was created from something - and that supernatural event returns to the cause/effect laws where by something or some will set that event in motion...which points to a supernatural being with intelligence;)

10. mrussell

mrussell Staff

If the first premise is that everything has a cause but then to say there is a primary uncaused cause (to avoid an infinite series of causal agents), then the first premise is no longer true.

An uncaused cause neither has to be supernatural or intelligent. Just because we don't know how the universe (as we understand it) came to be doesn't mean God did it. It is possible the universe has all the necessary properties to be the uncaused cause itself. Assuming an 'intelligent designer' seems to be a human conceit. God seems to be suspiciously made too much in man's image.

11. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

ahh...i get it:) I guess by that same logic we could also state, that eventually we could work our way down to nothingness...where, after bazillions of causes from effects...eventually they could be widdled down, and we could all become nothingness?

I mean...couldn't we also state, that since a cause was caused by an uncause...couldn't there eventually be no effect after an innumberable amount of causes? (this is fun :D)

12. 600inline4

600inline4 Mentally unstable

god

greenie..

is this like the:

"if god is so mighty and powerful, could he make a rock so big that not even he can lift it" question?:D

13. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

i don't know...i think i confused myself again....little help ova heeeea! :D

14. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Greenie you got a thing for Boy George or sumpin?

15. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Tcasby used to have him as his avatar:Poke:

16. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Oh.

Well kinda shoots that to heck huh?

17. jwb

jwb but... I AM NAPOLEAN!!!!

do you have any idea who he has as his avatar now?

:Poke:

18. dave333

dave333 traveler

Well, kinda sorta not really...

Joseph,

We are all infinite beings, in other words, we will all "live" eternally. Jesus provides the only way to spend that eternity in Paradise. Everyone else better put on the nomex suit 'cause for them it's an "all expenses paid trip" straight to the Lake of Fire.

Heaven or Hell.

The monumentally important work of Jesus is not as the way to eternal life. He is the One who set things right between God the Father and us. We have all done what we wanted to do when we wanted to do it with full knowledge that we should not be doing it. (All have sinned)

God and rebellion, defiance, injustice, cruelty (i.e., sin) cannot exist together. If you have not taken care of that "stain" on your eternal soul by the time you meet Him you are going to spend eternity in Hell. (Fire, torture, pain and suffering. Not a good time.)

Jesus’ work was and is as the One who removes that stain of sin from our eternal soul so we can spend eternity in Paradise. Every tear wiped away, no more pain or suffering. Mucho, muchisimo good place to spend a long, long time.

We accept Jesus’ death and punishment as our own, to mend the separation from God that sin created. Or we don't.

Heaven or Hell. Forever.

19. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

not a freakin clue....:(

20. tcasby

tcasby Banned

Re: Well, kinda sorta not really...

Is it required you accept Jesus as the Son of God to avoid an eternity in hell?

You can probably guess where this is going.