1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Gorilla George and Photo like this.
  2. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a warning sign on front door for the Fire Department... drop the fire hose and run like Hell !!! :blart::blart: :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    DmanSlam likes this.
  4. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

"drop leg" holsters are very secure depending on which set up you have. Id highly recommend safariland with their qls stuff. Below is a link to trex arms and their ragnarok holster and on the same page is the safariland items that go with it. I dont think his site has the low drop attachment

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/ragnarok/

5. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. :crackup:

Ive actually never thought about that. Is that a thing?

7. I just saw that email before coming here. :D

Is it only on Mondays? I need to order one right now.

8. I put in the code and it wouldnt work. Even with the ammo I added to the order shipping was only $15 so I said fuck it.

9. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

That's weird I just entered the code and it worked. I hate paying for shipping!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  10. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I have looked at the Safariland one. The only options I've seen that seem to be decent are from Safariland, Blackhawk, Orpaz and Alien Gear. The Safariland is about double the price of the other ones and I don't like the design as much. I want a Level 2 type. The Blackhawk one has a button you push with your index finger, and the Orpaz has a thumb button. I like both of those options, just can't decide which one lol The Blackhawk doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere in black, which is what I would want. All I can find is Tan or Olive green

11. I do too.

But I hate waiting for shit even more. :D

Photo likes this.
  12. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Yes the electronic one. It’s called the “ASAP”.

13. wsmc 589

I’ve been wearing drops for years. Only because my vest sometimes requires it. If you don’t need it don’t bother. Unless your going to wear a belt that will attach to your under belt... then it’s going to shift around. Most people wear them because they think it’s cool, and then they wear them halfway down their leg. Makes me cringe. Why carry the gun farther away from your hands??

DmanSlam likes this.
  14. sbk1198

Well I'm sure this varies slightly from person to person, but for me my natural reach is somewhere about halfway between my waistline and knee. That's where my hand is when I'm at a rest. I haven't tried one personally but it seems much easier and natural to draw from that position rather than a standard OWB that's at waist level.

jdaniel likes this.
  15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

When I read that I thought this dude is part Orangutan but then I stood up and checked myself. I’m also a banana eater

sbk1198 and wsmc 589 like this.
  16. wsmc 589

Is that where you hands are normally? Also when would you wear it? They are slower as well. The distance from your hands to the gun back to target are measurable. Start getting that gun away from your midline and the time starts increasing. Notice how several mfg’s went away from double straps in legs because guys starting hiking them up as high as possible while still being able to clear vests. Look at safarilands drop without the leg shroud. Then add a strap that prevents the holster from pivoting up. Seems to be the sweet spot for a lot of guys.

17. sbk1198

Hahaha! When I saw those holsters in the pics I thought, how can you reach that without bending over to the side a bit. Then I stood up and looked at where my hand is and I was like "ohh...right" lol

18. sbk1198

Well you definitely got me there on the "when would you wear it?" part lol I think that's one of those things that would get used like once every 2 years lol But same goes for my OWB custom holster for my Beretta 92. Carrying a gun in public NON-concealed is stupid IMO even if it's legal. People that do that are just asking for trouble, unless it's part of your job to do that. For me the only time I could see myself using a holster that's not concealed is when I'm out in the wilderness like if I ever go camping or on a hike because then the only people that would see it would be the few that are with me. Or alternatively maybe when I get into doing some pistol matches in the future. But for competition shooting, what I've seen people use are waist holsters with a lower offset that puts the gun maybe like 2-3 inches lower. So not as log as a drop leg holster but not as high as a typical waist one. Black Scorpion, Comp-Tac, Safariland are a few of the ones I've seen like that.

As far as where my hands are normally...I would say yes, if I'm just walking or standing around. Isn't that where everyone's hands are? The only difference in draw that I see between a leg holster and a more traditional waist one is with the leg one you're grabbing the gun right away. First step in the process of drawing, because the hand is already right by it, so grab the gun and start pulling up then aim. Whereas with the waist, you're grabbing the gun along the way as you're moving your hand up. I can't imagine there being any significant difference between them. Probably talking miliseconds.

19. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

That’s not always the case. Many times you’ll start a stage at surrender position. Other times you’ll be doing a transition from another gun. Most competitors by a decent margin holsters have the grip very close to waist line. Some are lower and some are higher but I’ll only see a couple out of fifty have a grip below pocket. It will always come back to what works best for you. That’s why most have a pile of “ I used to” accessories

wsmc 589 and sbk1198 like this.