1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just don't see this working...nascar Bristol dirt

Discussion in 'General' started by joec, Mar 3, 2021.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...ils-for-inaugural-bristol-dirt-track-weekend/

I did short track moto races with dirt over asphalt and instead of ruts these potholes in the dirt would form..with an asphalt bottom to the hole. It sucked..after the races I walked the track to figure out the holes.. I couldn't really believe it.

But I have sooo many questions. How will spinning crashing cars affect that.. what if it rains significantly any time before or during the race.. are they building special cars for this? Are there really drivers who have come up through dirt oval racing still? Is it going to a shit show? Dirt and banking makes no sense to me.

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

They've run super late models etc at bristol before on dirt, and are running them all week leading up to the nascar races so they will definitely have the dirt right.
    They are taking the splitters off the cup cars and doing a few other things to them.
    And yes probably half the field are dirt racers or have dirt experience.
    Christopher Bell, and Kyle larson are two of the best on dirt period.

BigBird likes this.
  3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It doesn't matter how good the racing is, as long as it is a spectacle.

That's nascar since... oh, about 1999.

And for the last couple-few years, it's been 'as long as it's a politically correct spectacle' .

BigBird and 418 like this.
  4. joec

joec brace yourself

Ok. However don't modifieds do the sideways slide thing? Im more interested in dirt short tracks than the normal nascar stuff.. I actually liked the roval races. But isn't nascar mostly go straighty bump draft turn left still for the most part? And aren't those modifieds doing some crazy stagger thing to get that slide?

Don't get me wrong...I think it's a cool idea. I'm just not sure about it. It's sorta on the level of the bagger class to me. But good racing is good racing.

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Nascar trucks have been racing on the dirt in Eldora for a few years. They won't brake any track records vs a sprint or super modified, but still good racing.

joec likes this.
  6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Would be surprised if the cup cars are any faster than a good Pony car would be.
    Will be interesting to see what lap times they do compared to the 602 cars with 350ish HP...
    They Super guys are already doing some testing and Rolling. Last time they did this in 2000 there were major problems with breaking wheels. Hopefully that won’t be a issue this time.

Razr likes this.
  7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

The nascar's will be sideways too

BigBird and joec like this.
  8. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

Thought I saw where Bloomquist ran a 132mph lap. Don't know if anyone's been faster.

Guy local to me had an entry to run 604 Late Model. Rocket had a list of things that needed changed. Most notably stronger right side wheels and RF control arms and spindle. His car owner opted to not go because of everything they'd need to change.

I'm afraid it will be carnage in the lower classes. There's a kid with a SportMod who's shop is right down the street from mine. He's never been on a half mile. I see it ending badly.

9. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Bloomquist.....I remember the Outlaw Sprintcars running there on dirt......only 1 yr, right?

10. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

They ran Late Models too, twenty years ago. Dale McDowell won IIRC

The Bloomquist lap was a few days ago in testing.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  11. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

If they are running modified cup cars they will still be around 33-3400 lbs, so now way they will run laps like a Sprint or WoA car which weighs 1K lbs less and has the advantage of huge tire stagger.
    We used to race a dirt car that was a modified street class and our weight was 3400 lbs and had to run street legal tires. With the right setup it still got around pretty damn well and the racing was close and tight.
    I will definitely try to watch Bristol on dirt. Should be interesting.

Razr likes this.
  12. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Yep, Dale won. He ran good, but also had some luck and survived the end.

Hadn’t seen where Bloomer went that fast, I expect them to pick up
    A bit come race day though. 50k is a decent payday...

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

This is very intriguing, and also they added a lot more road courses. So at least they are moving away from the merry go round.

Razr likes this.
  14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Carousel...:D

BigBird likes this.