1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whiskey Prices WTF?!?!

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave_SV, Mar 3, 2021.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

lolol.

Skrewball 1L = $37 and I found a raspberry liqueur for $10 that works well as chambord substitute..because you right...visitors don't get the good stuff when you doing shots

Dave_SV likes this.
  2. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

I'm in NJ, I stick with the 1.75l handles of bullett or makers for every day use. I keep a decent bar for special occasions but these prices were so outlandish they caught my eye

BigBird likes this.
  3. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Old Grandad hasn't raised their price since prohibition. If you drink on the rocks or mix, best $20 you can spend on booze.

Spang308, Dave_SV and R1Racer99 like this.
  4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Thats y I don't generally buy liquor at small stores. Everything at Bevmo seems to be the same or on-sale.

5. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Ha, wish it was legal. When I saw those prices I was wondering how many unscrupulous bars are reselling stuff like that.

6. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Dafaqu you at picked up something today and blantons is 45

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

I'll have to check Total Wine by me...i have to go there tomorrow....becoming a super regular over the last year :oops:

8. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

No shame, stay strong!

BigBird likes this.
  9. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Those are BS secondary prices.....let the owner/manager know you're going to find another establishment to support because of their greed and walk out.

There are plenty of places still charging normal prices for those bottles..

cpettit and BrianC636 like this.
  10. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

You should see cocaine prices..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuddenBraking likes this.
  11. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

7.00 for a bottle of Bacardi Blanco here in Mexico

12. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

At that price level, I like Ezra Brooks better than all of them. Way better than the price point indicates.

13. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Excellent. You keep drinking during fantasy league. One week you’ll have Rossi for the win at least.

BigBird likes this.
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Y'all need to make a trip to Kentucky...it's still reasonable here. I get my green label Weller for $45, and Old Forester 1910 (which I think is even better than the Weller) is around $50. If you want a real deal, Evan Williams Single Barrel is around $25. And it's BOURBON...we don't sell no stinking whiskey here!

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I can definitely confirm that heavy drinking on Saturday nights does not lead to MotoGP fantasy success.

BigBird and Quicktoy like this.
  16. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I’d have to agree. @BigBird and I were pretty dedicated last year to getting up early and adjusting pics in the morning before the race. Yes it bit us both a couple of times but did way more good.

BigBird likes this.
  17. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

Friend just visited from Utah, wellers is like $50 here and she said it was on a lottery system there so she legit packed a suitcase with 50lbs of booze to take back home so her husband has whisky to last a while lol

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  18. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Personal still......

Oh and I got a bottle of Buffalo Trace as a prize once, I did not realize at the time it was a booby prize. Stuff is vile! I could barely choke it down as Honey Whiskey and Lemon Juice when I was sick. Could not think of an enemy worthy of giving it to.

19. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

There are alot of problems in the industry but the biggest one is the explosive popularity of bourbon at the moment. So many people who don't even drink it are out scouring the stores all day every day buying up bottles for reasons they don't even understand. Blantons is the best example of this. Buffalo Trace makes if for a Japanese company. They also make a bunch of other bourbon from the exact same liquid. It all sells well but every whisky squid (they call them taters) wants Blantons to show their friends and post pics of on FB. States that aren't liquor control states have crazy prices because the store owners just jack up the price because they know people will pay it. The distillers HATE this. Unfortunately it takes time to make good whiskey so they are trying to play catch up but it will take a while. I've worked on expansions with MGP, Bulleit, Four Roses, Jack Daniels, Buffalo Trace, Diageo (more Bulleit), Old Forrester, 1792 and Heaven Hill all within the last 4 years. They are furiously trying to increase supply to keep the availability up and the price down. They are mostly good old boys and hate that secondary market shit.

Here is a older illustration of most of the buffalo trace products. They have 3 major mashbills for bourbon and one for rye. I think #1 is the best and #2 is my least favorite. They recently acquired Early Times from Old Forrester so look for that one to be scarce soon as well. On the flip side, if you have any older bottles of Early Times save them. Might be worth something before too long here. I've got a couple bottles of Stitzel Weller, Old Fitzgerald bourbon and people have offered over $500 per at the mere mention of it. They were probably $10-20 back in the 80s.

I like all kinds of bourbon and have a ton of it but anymore i try to stick to a couple of rules. Know what retail is on a bottle before you buy it. Don't buy bottom shelf crap just because the internet says it's cool. Learn what you like and steer your purchases that way (example i don't care for finished or flavored whisky. I like high corn and high wheat mashbills). Bottled in bond is always a good sign and will almost always be better then the one next to it that doesn't say it (think old grandad). Once a guy who's family owns a distillery in Bardstown told me "if it ain't at least 100 proof it ain't wort fuckin with". I've learned that is mostly true but be careful, some of the barrel proof ones are downright dangerous. Moral of the story is don't get into whisky as a drinking/collecting hoppy. You will end up a broke drunk.
    0 unnamed.png

Dave_SV, R1Racer99, Senna and 2 others like this.
  20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Good points. It's all about drinking what you like and the hell with the perception that just because it costs a lot, it's good. Didn't know about Early Times being sold. Fuck Sazerac...I built their offices in Southern Indiana and they were assholes. We're currently building at Angel's Envy and Maker's and they're great people to deal with. I did bid the project for Evan Williams to build their new "bourbon experience center" but I didn't get that one. It was a nice ride to the site:D

cpettit likes this.