1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Your worried it won’t be traveling fast enough to expand thru your shorter barrel? I have a g43 and my GF has a 365. Want me to chrono it?

2. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

That would be cool but I guess I am splitting hairs huh?

3. wsmc 589

I think you might be but it’s a educated question and ain’t a damn thing wrong with that. I’ll hit up their rep Monday. DM me nlt Tuesday so I don’t forget.

4. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna change course a bit since you mentioned "chrono"....any of you guys use the MagnetoSpeed chronograph for rifles? If yes, any idea if the V3 is worth the extra money? The V3 (newest version) is like $380, but I can still get the original model for about $170-$180. Of course I want the V3, but I'm not convinced it's worth the extra $200.

5. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

v3 if you need to chrono a gun with a suppressor . The sporter works fine if not.

my v3 was stolen pisses me off it happened at a private range

sbk1198 likes this.
  6. wsmc 589

I’ve only used lab radars. I think we have some older magneto but I’ll ask my buds to see if they have any new ones for comparison.

sbk1198 likes this.
  7. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

What difference does it make if you’re measuring a suppressed gun? I know fuckall about chronos for what it’s worth.

8. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Great question
    I’m also curious
    I would think if your chrono is 6-8 ft from rifle it wouldn’t know any difference but I am looking forward to the answer.

9. Steak Travis

I think it’s just a more sensitive chrono that can read farther away from the center of the muzzle. Some people have been able to rig the sporter to get reading off a suppressor but the V3 is designed to work with one, thus the higher price I’m guessing for a better chrono

I had the sporter and tried to make it work but i never could and got the v3 and now have good data on my suppressed rifles

10. Steak Travis

it’s a bayonet style chrono . Goes off the end of the barrel

11. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Never used or seen one like that. Seldom do I find myself using mine so I’ve never really checked many out. If I should start loading long range ammo I’d probably use it more. I’ve only used it on pistols for power factor calcs

12. Steak Travis

Yep getting an accurate MV is key in long range shooting

13. redtailracing

Ah I think this is the answer to my question. My chrono is just a cheap Caldwell setup. I'm definitely not in the "jUsT aS gUd" crowd but wanted a chrono of sorts and couldn't justify the cost of a nice one yet. Once I get deeper in long range shooting and especially if I ever get to start hand loading, I'll spring for a nicer one. But I was able to get the Caldwell setup for under $100 and I figured it would work just to give me some ball park ideas for now. Instructions say to set it up 15 feet from the muzzle, hence why in my mind a suppressed/unsuppressed seemed like it wouldn't make any difference. The Caldwell basically does exactly what I hoped it would. It gives me some good ball park estimates and seems to be consistent. Downside is "error" readings are not uncommon which is rather annoying and I definitely wouldn't bank any money off its data.

14. redtailracing

Alright someone help me out on purchasing a suppressor. I think I finally found the one I want in stock (triarc says they have 1). From what I’ve seen silencershop makes it super easy to get through your paperwork, pay for your tax stamp, and setup a trust and one of my LGS works close with them to guise you through the process. However I don’t see such options with triarc so what’s my best bet for purchasing the suppressor, making sure all paperwork is done right, and it’s in a trust that I can add a family member to? Never bought an NFA item before.

15. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

If it's a form 4 be prepared to wait 6 months to a year before you bring it home

16. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I have SilencerShop shop do all my NFA paperwork regardless of where the buyer bought his device/firearm. The buyer sets up an account with SS and it’s way better than the old way. I’ve been on both sides of the counter for NFA sales and suggest you go that way.

17. redtailracing

Yea I know :(

noles19 likes this.
  18. redtailracing

Cool. Talked to my LGS again and they also told me they could walk me through all the paperwork and creation of the trust through silencershop. Only shitty part (well aside from ya know, the $200 tax stamp, the long ass wait, the trust fees) is the LGS NFA transfer fee is also $100. The fucking red tape around suppressors is ridiculous.

19. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Cool! Ask them if any of them are selling theirs too ;) I'd love to get the lab radar but it's out of my price range.

The MagnetoSpeed mounts on the end of the barrel. It works with barrels 1/2" to 1" in diameter. Most silencers are much thicker than 1". The "bayonet" on the V3 is shaped differently so it can be mounted on a suppressor. Then for regular barrels you just use spacers. I'm pretty sold on getting that style as oppose to an optical one like the Caldwell because:

1) a lot of people say "it's not about IF you'll shoot it, but WHEN you'll shoot it" lol,
    2) it needs to be setup like 10-15 feet in front, and depending on the range you go to, that means you have to wait until range is cold to fuck with it. For me setup would be a PITA. When the range is cold, we're not allowed to touch the guns, and when it's hot I obviously can't go in front to set it up. So I'd have to take a guess that it's setup right and the chance I get that right on the first try is pretty small. Just seems like too big of a hassle, and
    3) it doesn't work when it's raining and sometimes might give you false readings when it's sunny, depending on the position of the sun relative to it

20. Steak Travis

Is the silencer in stock at silencer shop? If so skip the stupid $100 fee and do it at Royal range or Nashville armory at the silencer shop kiosk