1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Honestly I have no idea. I literally clicked on the link, clicked "add to cart" twice, then checkout. Didn't even care to look at the name of the place, only saw a note during the shipping part that there was an option to pick up at the store in Missoula MT, but don't know what store it even was. I was trying to complete everything as quick as possible, but still didn't make it :(

That's weird cuz their guns sure look good. I had been eying them ever since I shot my first 1911's about a month ago (a Magnum Research and a Les Baer), but wondered how good they actually are. Doesn't sound too good from what I'm hearing but I like a bit of a challenge. The way I look at it is that it's purely a mechanical item and with a bit of elbow grease I THINK I can make it better.

2. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Is it a quality control issue?

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Agreed that they do look damn good. That was honestly my biggest attraction to them.

4. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

That's my understanding as I've been told their older stuff is perfectly fine and well, the 1911 design hasn't really changed in a year or 2 :D

speedluvn likes this.
  5. Yep.

Make sure your dealer will accept the shipment from an individual (like Ron mentioned) and it’s yours. :beer:

sbk1198 likes this.
  6. speedluvn

What are you guys hearing as far as complaints about the gun? The reason for my sudden interest is that my cousin brought his wife a “Kimber 45” cause their son has one. I’m not saying Jack, to hike but I did wanna know what to expect.
    I don’t expect them to encounter many problems cause I don’t expect her/them to shoot much.

7. speedluvn

What model Kimber are you gifting? It was my understanding that just the low & midrange Kimbers were the models with the problems.
    They also have a “custom” line as well?

8. I think the full name of the one I have is “Kimber Custom II”...whatever that is supposed to mean or represent.

It’s been a while. But IIRC, I think I paid around $700 for it (for some reason $760 is the number that popped in my head).

9. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I have no intention of buying any more hand guns, but heard of a LGS (well an hour away) selling hellcats for 499 today. Sold out by the time I found out. :( My EDC is either a pocket LCP or appendix carry Glock 33. I can see swapping both for that gun. A nice midway between both.

10. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Once you finally get to reloading, you're going to laugh at people paying 1$ plus a round for stuff worse than you can make. :p

speedluvn and sbk1198 like this.
  11. I can’t remember which site it was, but I saw some no-name reman FMJ going for $1.20 a round earlier. What the fuck

galloway840 likes this.
  12. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Judging by the picture and looking at Kimber's site, I think it's a Custom LW. I'm guessing LW stands for lightweight, much like in moto racing, because that model is the only .45 that comes with an aluminum frame, and it retails for $761 so that goes along with what he thought. All the other ones have a steel frame. I don't have much experience with 1911's but I've always been drawn by their design and also knowing that it's an over 100-year old design is kinda cool! I liked the Magnum Research and Les Baer ones I shot, but the MR kept jamming all the time. That's supposed to be a pretty good brand (they make the Desert Eagle guns), but I suspect since this was a rental gun it probably hadn't been cleaned in a long time, plus they gave me Wolf steel case ammo which is shit.

Gorilla George and speedluvn like this.
  13. speedluvn

That sounds like the price range of what my cousin quoted when I asked him. I only further inquired about the firearm because it’s been mentioned before in this thread about this particular manufacturer.

14. speedluvn

What does “custom” mean concerning this manufacturer? Reading some manufacturers’ websites mean nothing when seeking specific information on a product.

15. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Custom can mean many different things to many different companies.

When we ran Springfield Armory custom pro rails they were hand fitted and assembled in the “custom shop”. It really meant something and each part was numbered and fit perfectly. Now these were $2800 guns back in 04 so you expect that. Also if we had any, and I mean any problems one call and you would get an RMA and very good customer service.

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. speedluvn

That’s what I would expect custom to mean in the traditional sense.

17. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity to send a few with a buddys kimber and i dont think i got very far before the first FTF and it wasnt the last , i would not trust that particular firearm and told him so . It did look rather handsome all shiny riding in that old school Galco .

18. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Kimber had a very good marketing campaign back in the day. In fact, just the other night I’m throwing my kit on and a local saw my staccato and asked “how do you like your kimber...”.
    It’s almost like Kimber became the generic word for 1911 (even though my staccato looks NOTHING like a kimber.
    With that being said, my buddy loves his and shot 3 mags back to back in the staccato gun range yesterday to prove his point that his compact kimber runs LOL.

Buell1965 likes this.
  19. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I must be in the minority.
    I LOVE my Kimber 1911.
    My first pistol and never had any kind of trouble with it.

Buell1965 likes this.
  20. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I have a kimber 45 that is a little picky on ammo. It’s probably 25 or 30 years old and beautiful. I bought a 10mm last year and haven’t shot it yet. This kimber makes me think of STI looks

Attached Files:

Sabre699 likes this.