1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 Ram 2500 limited megacab diesel 4x4

Discussion in 'Other' started by michaelrc51, Feb 2, 2021.

1. michaelrc51

michaelrc51 Well-Known Member

If the opportunity arises I’ll let you know.

Right now, I’m avoiding going back to stock. I don’t want to put it stick and then not have it sell, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

The gross and payload topic is why I hit the scales every time we leave for a journey.

gives me paper proof that I am within range, no matter what an estimator comes up with

TurboBlew and michaelrc51 like this.
  3. michaelrc51

Yeah, pin weight blows the payload and GVWR of the truck. Some argue that a fifth wheel makes it so as long as you’re under GCWR you’re ok.
    If I had concrete proof of that I’d be ok with it.

I use aftermarket TPMS on my truck and trailer, but having an extra 3k lbs of pin weight over a SRW is also something that goes through my mind. A blow out at highway speeds would definitely lead to a bad accident, possibly a roll over.

4. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

I have that same tuner and tunes by DRD. I am very happy with it....No smoke, good fuel mileage, and more power than the 68rfe could handle. I went with 5" exhaust with muffler. What egt's are you seeing while towing? What rear end gearing 3.42?

5. michaelrc51

Yeah, I’m careful about using all the HP/ TQ. I also put a Revmax VB in, doesn’t appear the truck towed anything until I got it.

Mine doesn’t smoke at all either.

I saw sustained 1500* EGTs on long uphill pulls. This is another reason I deleted the grid heater and added the Banks elbow, it should help reduce EGTs.
    While those EGTs would destroy a gas motor, it appears to be fine for a Cummins 6.7l. Lot of research has shown no issues with those EGTs. Cummins advice is rated at post turbo for some reason at 900* sustained.

6. Dave675

5" will really drop them. Most I've seen is around 1200 and thats at a sustained 95mph pulling a grade with a 6,000lb trailer. These trucks have so much power, even on the lowest setting, when deleted.

What is the rear end gearing?

7. michaelrc51

I’m not convinced of that. Where are you measuring your EGTs?

The elbow and grid heater delete doesn’t give a HP advantage but it has been proven to drop EGTs substantially.

Yeah, 3.42s

8. Dave675

At the rear block off plate.

I've heard that it can be up to a 200 degree difference between there and taping the manifold right before the turbo. I've also heard that once the engine is heat soaked, it all evens out temperature wise.

For what it's worth, I don't think 1500 is too hot. Pretty sure thats about what they run stock.

9. michaelrc51

Mine is in the collector. Yes, I have read about the difference in EGT from collector to rear EGR port. My rear EGR block off is purple from the heat, lol.

I’m with you on that, everything I’ve read says it’s fine.

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Trade for new SRW 3500.

If dually you can cancel any drive through, any car wash, any parking garage, any tight parking lot....and add 800 bucks every time you do tires.

The choice is yours.

11. michaelrc51

I’ve thought about it, I’m not the biggest fan on driving a dually around.

But......I don’t ever go through car wash, hand wash only. I take my wife’s car if I’m parking anywhere in a garage and if I’m in a parking lot I park far away from everyone else, regardless.

As far as numbers go, a 3500 SRW gains me 2300 lbs of payload. With 4100lbs of payload I’d probably be ok, but not much to spare. My trailer has a pin weight of 2850lbs empty. Add family, dog, and full tank of diesel and I’m coming close to 4100lbs. This would also limit me if we decide on a newer camper down the road.
    I’m not spending $80-$90k on a truck and risking being in the same boat later.

And when I get a dually, I’ll most likely put 19.5” or 22.5” wheels and tires. Might cost $6k-$10k but look awesome and last 150k+ miles

12. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

This all day.

Nice truck! Glws!

13. michaelrc51

Here’s some more pics from other day

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]