1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

You climb trees with those toes???

2. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Being ready is almost a guarantee you want see any hogs. I saw a big old coyote bow deer hunting but his normal route was 120yrds from me so I started taking an AR 300 blk pistol. 15 or do trips and never saw the dog so I started going without. 3rd trip without and there’s the dog MFer

3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

my wife doesn’t believe this phenomenon but it happens EVERY single time

4. :crackup:

I didn’t even notice my toes were in the picture. Haha

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have carried a handgun quite a bit when out in the wilderness hunting, fishing, berry picking, etc. in Alaska. I have carried anything from a 3" 38 Special, 1911, 44 revolver to 45LC Blackhawk. In your situation I would carry a 45LC Blackhawk if you reload and a 44 Mag Blackhawk if you use factory ammo. Either way, use a 300 gr bullet. I really like the 300 gr Hornady XTP. I don't know if it is available in a factory load, but at 1200 fps, it will get the job done on anything. I shot a wounded Sitka Blacktail deer at about 30 yds, quartering away. I hit it right behind the left shoulder and the bullet blew out about 18" of spine and exited the top of the neck, taking a fist sized chunk out with it. That was a handload in 45LC with a 300gr Hornady XTP at a chronograph average of 1225 fps in a Ruger Blackhawk with a 4 5/8" barrel.

6. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Well I did read the whole thing...although when I saw the length of this (even though i'm on a 27" monitor lol) I questioned myself whether I want to or not lol

Anyway, thanks for the input. A lot of good points and as someone that's never shot a pistol with a red dot, I can still probably agree with all of that, however most of what you said is relevant to a self-defense scenario and/or for a conceal carry gun. Personally I choose not to put on on a carry or home defense gun for some of the reasons you mentioned above already. For my conceal carry, I just don't want the extra bulkness that is added on. Not to mention that in a self-defense situation, more than likely my target will be very close...like within 5 yards, maybe 10 max. I can shoot just fine with iron sights from such a close range.

I'm talking mainly for accuracy at up to 25 yards trying to hit like a 4-6" target. Or shooting fast at targets varying from like 5 to 25 yards and shooting somewhat fast...not Jerry Miculek fast, but maybe like 2-3 rounds per second fast. That's where I'm wondering if a red dot would be beneficial. It would strictly be for a play/range gun, nothing that I would use for self-defense.

7. In that case, the answer is a definite yes.

I have a lot of guns without optics. Now that I think about it, I think I only have one .45 with an optic (the FNX 45 Tactical). Surely that can’t be right. I’m racking my brain now. I’ve gotta have more .45’s with optics than that. Or maybe I don’t. Maybe I just have a ton of 9mm’s (and all AR’s) with optics.

Shit, what were we talking about again? :crackup:

Oh yeah, accuracy with red dots. There is no doubt you’ll be more accurate, especially if you get one with a small MOA.

Like you said, it’s almost like cheating.

Sabre699 likes this.
  8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I thought those were your fingers and you were holding the gun with your feet. :Poke:
    Thanks for clarifying.

On another note, thoughts on the Sig p320 X Five Legion.
    I’m looking for a 5 inch, 40s&w for 3 gun.
    Besides the Smith & Wesson CORE, what other 5 inch 40 cal. Guns are out there?
    The Springfield XPDM or something? But that’s only offered in 9mm?
    Anything else?

9. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Glock 24 or 35
    I use a 35 with a 9 barrel

10. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

What size dot do you use for them on pistols? From what I've read in the past it seems that it's common to have a larger dot for pistols since you're not shooting that far. On my shotgun I have a 6 MOA dot which is really meant for pistols (Vortex Viper 6MOA) and that size is plenty fine since I mostly shoot around 25 yards, 50 yards max with that gun. For AR's I wouldn't go above a 3MOA, but prefer a 2MOA. I would think for pistols anything around 4-6 MOA is fine, right?

11. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I had a Glock 22 but I want something that excites me. I will look into the newer generation of Glocks. Thanks

12. The

The Baddest Mofo in Town

My X5 Legion in 9mm is awesome. The non Legion left me pretty disappointed. That tungsten polymer grip makes a hell of a difference.

speedluvn, MachineR1 and sbk1198 like this.
  13. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

3.5 is a good size

14. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I'll take red dot over irons any day. Single point of focus versus constantly transitioning between 3 is always an advantage.

Triple X likes this.
  15. :stupid:

I typically use a ~3 on handguns (3 - 3.5, depending on brand). But when i ordered the one for the Q5, the only one in stock was a 5. So i got it to try it out.

Triple X likes this.
  16. Steak Travis

Got a hog this morning. Didn’t shoot the 44. It has a 8” barrel or something and wasn’t any less cumbersome than bringing my SBR.

I guess I’ll never get a deer again since it seems all I see are hogs

17. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Our season ended at the end of January and I thought that was late. When does yours end

18. Steak Travis

Next week sometime
    but this is my last few days to go. Gotta actually work hah

the local store here did have some H4350 powder so that was a win

19. So I ordered the Trijicon SRO for the Canik, and it came quickly.

Then I ordered the same thing for the Q5 and it was supposed to be here yesterday. I was pumped for it to show up. Instead I get an email that the new delivery date is the 16th-18th.

What kind of shit is that? I can see “It didn’t make today’s shipment, but it will go out in the morning”. But “it will be another 2 weeks” is bullshit. That tells me they took my money without actually having it in stock. :mad:

Anyway, the gun range/shop just had a Trijicon RMR show up, so I grabbed it and threw it on. I’ll leave the SRO on order. I’m sure I’ll get another gun between now and the next 2 weeks, so I’ll need it eventually.

CC0EF77D-0B87-461E-B2F0-349D8F922568.jpeg

20. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You can just give it to me also, xdm elite needs a sight!

Gorilla George likes this.