1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Well GME closed today with less than 35 million volume ... thats ridiculous.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

you're totally correct

auminer likes this.
  3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

SLV is almost irrelevant to the discussion anyway, in comparison to the buying of silver options and demanding physical delivery.

THAT is what will blow the market up.

BigBird likes this.
  4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Hey, no fair!

You're supposed to be angry and argue!!!

:D:beer:

BigBird likes this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

it may be options that they were talking about for $SLV, not shares. No matter, we all Rihana fans now

[​IMG]

6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

They know the risks. It's as simple as that. Also, there are a lot of those smooth-brained apes. Enough that there is real financial power there.

7. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

It’s called basis trading. Physical commodities are always at a disconnect from futures. That’s basis’ job.

8. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Not if you're holding and squeezing.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

i mean seeing 170 was a bit disconcerting... like is it over? or are we still in it.

A lot of the kiddies seemed to be a lot less rocket ship and more paper hands. price did start to tick back up. I must say I don't have many shares, but it definitely is more than I probably should have played with.

I really do want to see a change to Wall St, so at least it hopefully was worth something to that effect.

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I don’t understand this take. GameStop, AMC et al are overvalued. Why shouldn’t you be able to make a trade on an overvalued stock? There’s nothing wrong with shorting a company. That’s how we keep irrational exuberance in check. For every short sale, someone has to take a long position. So you’re hardly “tanking” the company, you’re just increasing the supply of shares available and driving down the price through the law of demand. The stock market has ZERO to do with a company’s ability to cover operational expenses and remain a going concern. When a company’s shares go down, their ability to raise capital is reduced. No one deserves to magically have access to capital markets. You’re hardly driving a company out of business by tanking a stock if they have excellent financials to begin with. You’re just tanking their ability to keep the farce going on longer by raising more money.

As for Reddit, altruism has nothing to do with it. This is about 80% just trolling the crony elites for amusement and a a giant “FUCK YOU” and 20% making money.

I shed no tears for the hedge funds. This is the same shit they do, except they have access to the mainstream propaganda outlets to run their shenanigans. We just have Reddit. The elites are running scared now we unwashed plebes have figured out how to use technology to disrupt them. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

And this is why said tech and information sharing for the commoners will be disrupted and driven into illegality

they have to keep the cream afloat

BigBird likes this.
  13. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I've heard this a couple times from coworkers who bought some gme stock. I think it's a coping mechanism :p

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

I totally understand shorting, but how can you short a short? like 2 people renting the same car at the same time, and then no one has the car at the end to return to the owner. Someone/they both have to pay to put the owner in a car until they can return the car. Or they kill the owner, and they don't return anything.

The biggest issue with the GME situation was the valuation of $4, instead of the $30-60 it should have been. The pandemic and new consoles definitely did help to drive business and have a steady stream of revenue, even before that, because of what essentially was the mortgage back security of Gamestop, the hedge funds wanted to just kill them. That's not right. A business with cash on hand and thousands of employees. I'm not with that hedge fund business.

nah. i was on the train. it made sense to me. no coping. Again Wall St can DIAF :)

OGs750 likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

RH just wrote:

• For Robinhood to operate, we must meet clearinghouse deposit requirements to support customer trades.
    • Deposit requirements are determined in part by how much stock a firm’s customers hold. If a firm’s customers’ holdings are volatile, a broker (in this instance Robinhood) is obligated to meet higher deposit requirements.
    • Last week, in part due to volatility in some popular stocks, Robinhood’s deposit requirements rose tenfold. The combination of the deposit increase and the extraordinary increase in volume on these particular symbols led us to put temporary buying restrictions in place on a small number of those stocks.
    • We had to take steps to limit buying in those volatile stocks to ensure we could comfortably meet our deposit obligations. We didn’t want to stop people from buying stocks and we certainly weren’t trying to help hedge funds.
    We hope you take away this: at Robinhood, we stand with everyday investors participating in the markets

16. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

if anything would be a silver lining in the end, it would be for people to mass exodus their platform and their IPO to totally flop, again costing a bunch of Wall St. dickheads a bunch of money. whether or not people have the conviction is another story. they fucked this up so bad and now everyone knows they have connections to Melvin thru their backers. there's dozens of platforms to use. why they'd be deserving of anyone's business at this point is beyond me, but i'm sure it'll get into somebody's 401k portfolios somewhere when it drops.

BigBird likes this.
  17. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Careful with the word "should" when talking about the market. It can be an extremely expensive (and painful) word.

Inst Tech, Chino52405 and BigBird like this.
  18. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

My neighbor, CPA and CFO of a large construction company has been making tens of thousands in the market lately....basically told me, hold it.....the big players from Reddit aren't selling anything right now and that will drive the price way up as the hedgefund people start loosing money and the shorts are called in.

So....that's what I'm doing.....the price dropped to $120ish last week and was right back up to over 400. I think it will do the same this week...

But, with all that said.....I didn't sleep at a HIE last night.

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

RH does have a great and easy to use platform. Very accessible, user friendly UI, and explains things in layman's terms to the new investor.

What RH doesn't have any longer is loyalty. Fidelity has had +700% new user accounts and migrations since Thursday. Them and Vanguard are private and gave no F's to the hedge funds, and didn't limit anything. E-trade, RH and others did. Their IPO will certainly flop as all of this will be fresh in everyone's mind. But hey, for a penny or two, it may be worth something in the future....like $.05

F**k RH and all those platforms that gave it up on Thursday, if that buy restriction doesn't go into place...$hit we could all have saved road racing and open back the dungeon. But Wall St wins again.

20. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Huh? Who what? Catch me up on the convo.