1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need an outdoor mobile WIFI hotspot. Where can I get this?

Discussion in 'General' started by kevincg, Jan 28, 2021.

1. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

I have a remote property w/o a viable internet provider, but I have great Verizon and ATT mobile data available. I am looking for a mobile hotspot that I can mount outdoors to broadcast a wifi signal to my RING cameras to have remote surveillance of the property.
    In my search I only find indoor hotspots, or outdoor units from Europe.

Surely someone here knows where to point me to find this product. You specialize in EV car performance, day trading trends, general finances, guns and shooting as well as funny pictures. I also see some are interested in motorsport racing, so this is a very diverse group to post my inquiry.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Just buy an indoor unit and house it in an enclosure designed for the outdoors.

You will need to provide power. Instead of 120VAC, determine the DC input of the device and just run that to it. Have the transformer indoors.

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

4. kevincg

Wont this box reduce the transmittance of the 4G incoming? I have to mount this on a large metal building so I was concerned about that limiting the signal strength.

I have easy access to AC power, so getting the router and the cameras powered up is no problem.

5. kevincg

6. motomadman217

motomadman217 Well-Known Member

Simnet wireless, welcome to rural internet, its a PITA

7. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

They make mobile hotspots for $250-300 (some $100 used), you might want something a little more robust though if you're not there often and aren't available to hard reset.

Search for Netgear MR1100.

8. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Starlink

racerx43 likes this.
  9. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

Cradlepoint makes various types of quality hardware that will work for your application. Router inside and antenna positioned outside. They make 12 volt systems for automotive applications and 120 for indoors: https://cradlepoint.com/product/end...9r5WYv0NmfDuvCr6bi4NUEAFWYHLsURRoCnBYQAvD_BwE

You can get a directional (Yagi) antenna and aim it at the nearest cell tower for maximum efficiency, or get multi directional antenna (Omni)

Their target market is business/utility/medical etc, so they build a robust product for all day every day use. All hard case components, no plastic etc.

They will assume you will subscribe the the NetCloud 24/7 support program which is great if you are running a fleet of vehicles that require wifi, but as a sole user you can decline it.

I asked a buddy that is a pro in this type of hardware industry and this is what he recommended when I was looking for a reliable Cell based Wifi setup.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    kevincg likes this.
  10. kevincg

That's more like what I was looking for. I knew this was the place to ask.
    I'll check this out today.

11. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Data usage is going to be the killer. A ring can blow through 500 megs a month if it is constant on and / or it triggers a lot. Most hot spot data plans aren’t close to that and will throttle back at 15 gb anyway.

12. Your car should have one, right?

13. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    thrak410 likes this.
  14. What the shit? :crackup:

Did you mean to type a real word, but didn’t have your index fingers on “F” and “J”, and so jibberish came out?

Sabre699 likes this.
  15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Wait for it...

beac83 likes this.
  16. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

:crackup:

You got to google it to see what it is. :D

17. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

beac83 likes this.