1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel transport ideas

Discussion in 'General' started by tdelegram, Jan 25, 2021.

1. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Gents,

I just picked up a worknplay 18ec baby hauler to offset my 44 foot heartland. I am looking for ideas on transporting wheels with tires mounted. Typical track day or race weekend for both bikes I’ll have 3 front wheels and 4 rear wheels. I am trying not to drill into the walls as they are finished and space is somewhat tight. Anyone come up with a stackable system that doesn’t allow the wheels to contact each other?

thanks

2. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

I’m interested as well. The more wheels I accumulate, the harder it gets to transport them.

3. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You got a toy hauler so you don't have to tow your toy hauler?

Tom.

Sabre699 and Shenanigans like this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

I am designing a wheel cart that can carry 2 sets of wheels with the option of an additional set.

can’t give any details on design and such since I’m talking to a patent attorney right now

but come March I will have something
    Wheels don’t touch so you can have warmers on

backbone and TurboBlew like this.
  5. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Yep, something for the 8 plus hour tracks, getting home sundays with a 30,0000 pound rig after racing/riding take a level of concentration that I struggle with at the 8 hour mark and the misses and pack wont go on long trips with me so I can do something smaller for those. Stop judging me John, you one legged wanna be fast guy.

6. RoidRageFool

RoidRageFool @FundedByWifeRacing

I too would like to know. My trailer should be coming to me within the next two weeks. I wasn't sure if I wanted to hang a tire shelf, or build some type of stand.

7. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Here ya go.....a tire box with shelves to separate each tire/rim. :) Patent pending.

tire box.jpg

Phl218, backbone, Shenanigans and 3 others like this.
  8. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

I built a PVC version for 2 sets of wheels. Got the idea off from this forum I think and have seen it somewhere on the internet for bicycles in the back of pickup beds. 2 slots for rear tire widths and 2 slots for front tires. It’s only to store/hold them during transport though.

9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Lowe’s carry’s these brackets for hanging stuff in the garage with foam and you can screw them right to the wall of the trailer. Works perfectly.

10. Robby-Bobby

11. Robby-Bobby

12. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

So this is what I did....

Grabbed me one of these car tire stands and modified it. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/certified-tire-stand-275-lbs-0090073p.html
    [​IMG]

I removed everything, as all we need is the base.
    Made a circular platform (made of MDF) dimension of a front tire
    Made a sleeve to fit where the old tubing was, whit an I.D. (inner diameter) to fit a closet poll.
    Took old street front tires and sprayed them with insulating foam, to be used as bumpers between each wheel. Did this to save on weight and was a fast quit solution.

Simple and non expensive. I can fit 2 sets (4 wheels)

I don't have any pics on me but if need to, I'll what I can do to get them up.

RoidRageFool and tdelegram like this.
  13. RoidRageFool

RoidRageFool @FundedByWifeRacing

Yeah I was thinking about getting some hooks for the E-track system and seeing if that would work well.

14. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

I have a couple different sized hooks from DC Cargo that could work like the ones Robby-Bobby mentioned. If you order please mention my name which I can give to you.

I am using the hooks to hand various things and really think they are strong enough to hold a wheel.

https://www.dccargomall.com/?utm_so...DJIABM-hUTioyu6CtmmX-Ojlio08Yj0oaAupzEALw_wcB

15. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

if you do go with drilling holes, the tire shelf from Pit Posse is really nice. it folds up flat against the wall and holds a crap load of wheels (300 pounds).

16. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Ive been tempted to build something that will stack a front and rear for in the bed of my truck, on top of tubs or something. A threaded pipe the size of the smallest axle, a threaded flange bolted to some base, and an ABS pipe as a spacer between the wheels should do it. HomeDepot DIY.