1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

building a new garage/shop. Advice please!

Discussion in 'General' started by Brianj666, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Brianj666

Brianj666 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! I'm going to be building (have one built) a new garage. I am leaning towards a 40x40 pole building i think. Can you guys give me any advice, or tell me things you wish you knew before taking on this task. I am gonna start with a concrete pad, building structure, and power for now, insulation will come at a later date. I appreciate all your help and wisdom in advance. Thank You!

2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Where are you building? How high of ceilings?

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Heat the floor.

4. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Whatever size you think you need.........Go BIGGER!

jkraft likes this.
  5. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

The footprint is the cheap part. If you're thinking 40'x40' go 40'x60' if you have the room

Floor drain

Stub in for a bathroom. I've had some changes in my life since I built my shop, wish I'd put in a shower like people told me to.

Tall enough for a lift, enclosed trailer, motorhome.

Plumb for floor heat or at least insulate under the slab.

RRP, G2G and ducnut like this.
  6. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Put in a floor drain. Put man door about 4-5ft from the corner (always need a corner to put stuff). Go bigger than you think you need. Bring water into it. If going 16ft inside height, put a couple windows in a back upper corner (in case you put in a mezzanine)
    Look into Ag Tuff for interior walls. It is PVC and easy to handle and install, but has a steel look.

Bloodhound likes this.
  7. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Have a pit/depression in the slab to allow a lift table to be flush with the floor.

8. Patent1

Patent1 Well-Known Member

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Hot water floor heat. It’s the most efficient and effective way to warm the space and humans inside. Search the topic, as it’s been discussed many times, here.

With the world’s craziness every manufacturer is taking advantage of, I’d wait until the cost of materials comes back down.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

permits? zoning? :)

RoidRageFool likes this.
  11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

12. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

everything said above
    The only thing I'd add is if you know where you need power, running conduit under the floor to the point of use is handy
    If you live in a colder climate doing infloor heat is recommended. I have my outdoor wood boiler heating my shop using a boilermate type tank, it's 8 degrees out and the shop is easily holding steady at 60*F that I have the thermostat set at
    Map the tubing out prior to pouring and get alot of pictures so you know where you can drill concrete anchors later

TurboBlew and ducnut like this.
  13. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

The more power outlets the merrier, also try and think what you need to power now and into the future and add those outlets too meaning put some higher current carrying 220vac outlets if you are going to have a welder, large compressor, etc.

crashman and Ducti89 like this.
  14. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I don't know your situation, but here's what I would do if I was in your situation:

-Tall ceilings, but also tall door. Make sure I could fit any camper or trailer I'd ever consider through the door.
    -I'd want a spot for a lift, so do what's necessary for concrete prep / thickness / reinforcement in that spot
    -Wire it for an outlet every few feet.
    -Put at least 100A service in.
    -Go overboard with lighting. I have T5HO's in my little garage - I'd have to research what do do for a shop of that size, but lots of light.
    -Wired for 20.4 surround sound.
    -Figure what your heat situation and plan for it before building
    -As others have said - floor drain.

jkraft likes this.
  15. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Floor heat (even if you don't plan on hooking it up right away, pex is cheap, and you can't do it later), Lots of lighting, outlets, insulation, and ceiling height (for a mezzanine). Put pull pots in the floor. Winch points, Floor anchors, whatever you want to call them. Can't remember where I saw them, but basically a pipe with a chain inside you can pull out and anchor to. I don't know what you plan on doing in your shop, but I would use the heck out of those for anchoring down tools, benches, winching in projects etc.

I personally would lean more towards conduit vs buried electrical as it's easier to change around, but that's personal preference and depends what you plan on doing with the space.

An overhead beam with a chain hoist, or even a gantry crane if you've got the dough :)

2 post Car lift, flush mount bike lift. 4 post lift for project/winter car storage (not bad money storing other peoples cars for the winter)

Security system.

16. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Definitely a punching bag for when you need to release some steem !!! o_O

:D:beer:

Attached Files:

969 likes this.
  17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

All this $hit is over rated. Just take your money and buy blow and strippers instead. It will be better spent.

:D

18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Ahhhh - the voice of reason!

19. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Make sure you have a exhaust fan or a hook up to vent exhaust outside.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

so a 2 story stripper pole and a VIP champagne room to generate cash flow...

t11ravis and KneeDragger_c69 like this.