1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Undisputed or nearly undisputed GOATs

Discussion in 'General' started by 2blueYam, Jan 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Personally, I think Stevie Ray Vaughn was a better guitar player than Hendrix, but I feel like Hendrix was greater in the context of his overall level of influence in the history of Rock.

I gotta give KISS the award for most revolutionary band as far as their Live stage show. All the elaborate stages and effects we see in modern concert tours, it comes from them raising the bar.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Alice was there before Kiss.

t11ravis, stk0308 and StaccatoFan like this.
  3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

VALID Point, Sir!

4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Maybe the best example yet.

bigtime likes this.
  5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You aren't wrong, srv was way more technically sound than hendrix and much more melodic, while also playing better solos.
    Hendrix was the perfect combination of flash( that he stole from buddy guy) and talent for the time.
    Hendrix was also a much better song writer

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think you could find 10% would vote for Smokey Yunick over Lance Armstrong. :D

redtailracing and Past Glory like this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Been thinking about this since you posted it and I can't think of anyone in that sport and in the age of everyone doping that is as great. If he hadn't been greedy and had to make a come back he'd be the GOAT.

I really can't think of anyone before or after that challenges him as sad that is.

bigtime likes this.
  8. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I would tend to agree with this. He may have been doping, but most everyone was. He was the best of the bunch, still. But, even if you take the cycling title away, has anyone raised more for cancer research?? Could still be a GOAT, but in a more meaningful category.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The stories would have come out sooner or later. It was only a matter of time.

10. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Lance was the best of his era. Just so happens that his era was full of cheating. Same with Bonds IMO. I don't throw out the accomplishments, just view them with different context. That's how the game was during that time frame. Stay tuned for pitching stats in a couple years.......

JBraun likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah it would but he'd at least been able to fight it longer. Might have stood a chance of beating it for a decade or two if he hadn't been such a complete asshole.

12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Eddie Mercx. He won everything. There's a possibility that his stuff wasn't clean either but he won all three classics, won different categories in each classic, won multiple stage races, one day races etc. Armstrong's achievements don't come close to his, even with the doping.

Senna likes this.
  13. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Who?

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Most creative cheater in NASCAR. Look him up.

15. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you, anything that can handle that diet clearly deserves the GOAT title.

16. noles19

As an example, when nascar confiscated his fuel tank he started the car and drove it back to the pits:D
    "Another Yunick improvisation was getting around the regulations specifying a maximum size for the fuel tank, by using 11-foot (3 meter) coils of 2-inch (5-centimeter) diameter tubing for the fuel line to add about 5 gallons (19 liters) to the car's fuel capacity. Once, NASCAR officials came up with a list of nine items for Yunick to fix before the car would be allowed on the track. The suspicious NASCAR officials had removed the tank for inspection. Yunick started the car with no gas tank and said "Better make it ten,"[3] and drove it back to the pits. He used a basketball in the fuel tank which could be inflated when the car's fuel capacity was checked and deflated for the race.

Yunick also used such innovations as offset chassis, raised floors, roof spoilers, nitrous oxide injection, and other modifications often within the letter of the rule-book, if not the spirit. "All those other guys were cheatin' 10 times worse than us," Yunick wrote in his autobiography, "so it was just self-defense." Yunick's success was also due to his expertise in the aerodynamics of racing cars."

intrcptrrdr and scottn like this.
  17. noles19

Nah, bonds cheated and still clearly wasn't the best. Hank Aaron is the best.
    Bonds is in the top 10

18. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

It’s really a shame he got caught cheating but didn’t have the balls to admit it...

:D

RRP, t11ravis and scottn like this.
  19. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

dude was extremely dedicated to winning no matter the cost. I agree with you if he wasn’t such a narcissistic asshole he would have had a better chance of getting away with it. But those types never get enough of that particular drug. The knowing they are getting away with it

20. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

honest question because I really don’t know. Do you really think it would? Why didn’t this come out much earlier or someone from the laundry boy to the head doc slip up and say something to a hooker, bragging in a bar, or just let slip to their wife. How they kept that level of doping under wraps for that many people that long is a testament to win at any cost