1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Beeb's Best Recipes

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Serious, why are you not a chef Phl218? Seems like you like to cook?

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

Himalayan or fleur du sel?

3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Fuck that. Trapani FTW.

4. Captain Morgan

definitely fleur du sel. Brought some back from france when I sailed across the Atlantic. There is some great sea salt in the Bahamas too. Morton used to have a plant there

Phl218 likes this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

That is a really good question.

Captain Morgan likes this.
  6. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

if anyone gives a darn,

I did my 'dry' salmon today, it's in the oven finishing. My MIL is coming tomorrow with the wife driving up from Austin (they were visiting the kid at UT Austin today).

I decided I'd get a cold-pellet tube and s-hooks for my upright cabinet. I'll do the next one longer with cold smoke. Amazon'll have it here Monday.

7. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Oh yes! I realized I started this thread years ago and never posted up any recipes. Will do so ASAP. Oh I need ping Paige for her mac and cheese recipe!

Shenanigans likes this.
  8. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Hey, Wise, I'm making a mac' n' cheese for tonight:

1/2 cup cheeses (all the shit I have in the fridge... swiss, edam, gouda, some harder french fou-fou stuff, and a bit of mozzarella)
    tiny bit of crab newburgh (basically left over from something else: crab, butter, creamcheese and a little bit of sherry mixed over heat)
    2 tbs half-n-half
    1 tbs sour cream
    1 tsp butter
    2 cups half-cooked mac (elbows)
    dash red pepper powder
    dash smoked paprika (Hungarian something or other sweet)
    If no Parmesan cheese, I add a grind or two of sea salt
    a grind of pepper

Baked in a 6" cast iron skillet (yeah, they're tiny, recipie makes two, feeds four as a side dish) for 25 min @ 350

9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Holy moly that sounds awesome! Post up pic! I like a more "glommy" mac and cheese, and this sounds good. I'm really looking for a base recipe to slap in ingredients according to mood. I expect recently buying cast iron will help

10. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

In the oven now. If I remain sober in the next :30 will post :)

11. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

The salmon (excellent, btw):
    [​IMG]

The mac and cheese - this one is for the guest who did not want crab. it's ham and hamburger and kielbasa sausage chunks, and slightly undercooked at his request (he's been here before):
    [​IMG]

and, the same mac and cheese (the others were being devoured as I photographed):
    [​IMG]

12. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Drooling! That salmon, having lived in WA state for five years, looks nom nom! Mac and cheese looks equally nommy. Will have to interpret ingredients, lol.

13. Captain Morgan

On a lighter note, I actually had bad Mexican food for the first time in my life. I'm very easy and usually find the best food is made by grandmothers in holes in the wall. I new things were going south when I ordered in Spanish to go and they didn't understand. Its pretty hard to make a tortilla, meat, cheese, avacodo, salsa and lime suck!

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hey Ma, the meatloaf! :D

We're having meatloaf and I did the bacon wrap with a *ketcup glaze for a change.

I love meatloaf!

*calling it ketcup is like calling a 1986 GSXR750 an okay club race bike. My ketcup takes 2 days and will make a prom queen's panties fly off.

JCW likes this.
  15. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Nice reverse sear. I just made this tonight!

This is the way I do it too but oven at 200, cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hr until 120. Generously Salt/pepper prior.
    Add butter garlic thyme to the skillet while you sear it 30-45 seconds each side and edges. Spoon the butter garlic over the steak as it sears...
    Slice it into thin pieces on a cutting board after sitting for 7 mins or just eat it yourself.

I will still grill on charcoal occasionally. Same precook procedure in the oven. Reverse sear on the hot grill.

That seared crust really makes the steak.

16. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

The meatloaf recipe i use that my son likes uses alot of ketchup in the glaze and a little ketchup in the meat mix.

I've tried non ketchup recipes but still looking for one that beats it...

Honestly still trying old recipes

Chopped bread better than panko bread crumbs.

My son loves meatloaf

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  17. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Fish taco recipes are goood...

18. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Whoa, this is an old thread...

19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Dave, this sounds a lot like my mom's meatloaf. Try taking it out a few minutes early and finishing it in the pan- gives it a nice crust, so you won't have to use ketchup!

20. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Looking for a good recipe for wild boar loin if anyone has one.

Last time I brined them in saltwater for 24 hrs, then made a glaze out of mustard and brown sugar, cooked 'em on the Traeger.