1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help us get this approved.

Discussion in 'Announcements/Information' started by john westcott, Jan 20, 2021.

1. john westcott

john westcott Well-Known Member

A new study has confirmed a list of uses for a proposed motorsports park complex as a way to generate revenue.

Previously, developer H.E. “Rusty” Bittle has talked about many of these different options as possibilities for the future motorsports park complex in the Horizon Center. They go beyond racing events into other possibilities such as a research and development facility, a restaurant and even tennis courts. The new business plan from Tilke Engineers & Architects formally lists 10 sources of revenue, and a news release lays them out.

First, Tilke stated in the news release that the motorsports park can earn revenue off of memberships. Bittle has said on an earlier occasion that he hopes to sell 350 memberships.

Another source of revenue listed was High Performance Driver Education (HPDE) Track Days, which the news release said would be for both “circuit and karting.” A karting track has been part of the proposed development from some of Bittle’s earliest shared proposals.

A research and development “mobility testing facility,” is another way Tilke said the facility can generate revenue. On previous occasions Bittle and Christian Epp, director of the Americas for Tilke Engineers & Architects, have talked about automotive companies, insurance companies, departments of transportation and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory using the facility.

Another source of revenue listed by Tilke in the release is “real estate,” which it states includes garage condos, karting and car storage and “villas.”

Tilke also listed as a source of revenue, “motorsports services,” which the news release stated includes “full concierge services for cars and karts.”

[​IMG]
    “Non-motorsports activities” is another proposed source of revenue, with the news release stating it is “to include restaurant, pool, tennis, etc.”

“Off-road experiences,” conference space, “hospitality & merchandise” and driver training are other items Tilke listed as generating revenue for the complex.

The news release also stated the development will have “non-revenue generating amenities” such as public meeting spaces and walking and biking trails in addition to the sources of revenue mentioned above.

The news release described Tilke as “recognized as one of the most experienced companies when it comes to planning and construction management within the automotive industry and motorsports sector” and stated the company is under contract to help develop the Oak Ridge Motorsports Park.

Bittle, the developer of the project, reportedly engaged Tilke to draft the concept for the park and analyze the business model. The news release stated the company will also be retained to design and manage construction of the park as the project progresses through various governmental decision points.

“Oak Ridge is a magnet for the technology and automotive industries. A motorsports park in the community can help the city build an international reputation for next generation transportation technologies and become a tourism destination for automotive enthusiasts,” Epp stated in the news release.

The release stated Oak Ridge is home to one of the world’s leading technology centers and the nation’s largest science and energy national laboratory, ORNL. Additionally, East Tennessee is home to three Tier I automotive original equipment manufacturer facilities.

“I am thrilled to have an opportunity to develop a project that will expose auto enthusiasts to Oak Ridge and provide a state-of-the-art resource for the auto industry and technology-based industries to develop advanced transportation technologies,” Bittle stated in the release. He is listed in the release as the founding partner of the motorsports park complex.

“Similar motorsports parks in the Southeast have resulted in a positive economic impact for their host communities. The Greater Birmingham (Ala.) Visitors and Convention Bureau calculated the Barber Motorsports Park had an economic impact of $1.17 billion, including some $122 million dollars of tax revenue generated in state and local taxes during a 10-year period from 2003-2012. Additionally, the Atlanta Motorsports Park in Dawsonville managed to sell $8 million in condos in a two month period during the global pandemic of 2020,” the news release stated.

Bittle has designed the motorsports park for development at the Horizon Center. The area was set aside for industrial development rather than motorsports parks, but many parcels have sat vacant.

“A major contributing factor to the success of this project is the motorsports park’s proximity to Oak Ridge National Lab, so a site in the city of Oak Ridge is ideal,” Bittle stated in the release.

The next decision point the project faces is zoning. The city of Oak Ridge Community Development Department drafted a new zoning district that could apply to this project, but which is more general, describing the restrictions and zoning definitions that would be in place for any large recreational development like a zoo or an amusement park in Oak Ridge. The Planning Commission is scheduled to vote on the new zoning district at its meeting this Thursday at 5:30 p.m. People can view the the live stream meeting at oakridgetn.gov/online/streaming.

Written public comments regarding items on this agenda, which are received by the Community Development Department before noon the day of the regular business meeting, will be provided to the Planning Commission for their consideration.

Submit public comments electronically to [email protected], or by post to City of Oak Ridge -Planning Commission, PO Box 1, Oak Ridge, TN 37831. Contact the Community Development Department at (865) 425-3531 or visit www.oakridgetn.gov for more information.

After Planning Commission votes, the new zoning district plan will go to Oak Ridge City Council for two readings to be approved or turned down. If approved, the property would then need to be rezoned, and Planning Commission would need to approve a site plan.

Call Ben Pounds at (865) 441-2317 and follow him on Twitter @Bpoundsjournal.

2. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

I saw this the other day. Just my luck, I sold my race bike last year and now they want to build a track in my back yard. Regardless, I hope it comes to fruition!!

3. john westcott

They are getting closer to ironing out the details with the city and Gov. Paint Shaker are you in Oak Ridge too?

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Sounds like another AMP .... No racing...

5. john westcott

From a conversation I had today about the proposed new track in east Tennessee. "John I want you to know that I am pushing REAL REAL hard on the developer to make a statement for FIM compliance design by Tilke to be BIKE and CAR FIA COMPLIANT. I want to make that statement public BEFORE we go further.. I want the SuperBike fans to support us - they seem to be nervous.. so... we are trying to make a PUBLIC statement with a stake in the ground.. Can you get those bike supporters to stand by for news without saying anything too much? Be patient! Your message has been heard LOUD AND CLEAR"!!

E Reed and Phl218 like this.