1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ski helmets: Yes or no

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Jan 18, 2021.

1. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Michael Kennedy

2. 418

418 Expert #59

He wore one.

3. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

And he still ended up in a vegetative state after a very slow speed fall. No way I’d ski without one now.

418 likes this.
  4. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I believe there was some talk of blaming the GoPro mount but never heard the verdict.

Jed and stk0308 like this.
  5. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Absolutely worth it. They’re pretty comfortable/warm, now, so that’s good. Don’t know if you have kids, but many resorts in CO require kids under to have one.

rk97 likes this.
  6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I went to a place in Michigan this weekend and it was about 50/50 for folks wearing them be not.

I have no issue with wearing one. Just thought I would get resident info.

7. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

For sure... wearing a helmet snowboarding for me is a must. Tahoe had some ok snowfall so far this year, but still there’s a lot of stumps and rocks popping up everywhere, and I had a few close calls and am glad I wore a helmet. Shit, i have an extra one if you want to take it at no cost. It’s used, but better than nothing.

YamahaRick likes this.
  8. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Probably a moot point as I doubt I'll ever ski again - don't think the knees would go for it... looked at my old ballet skis this past weekend and my knee started to hurt...

I always wear a helmet on a bike or bicycle. Always wear a seatbelt in a vehicle. Have never worn a helmet skiing, can't imagine wearing one. For some reason, it just doesn't seem right. Maybe it's because I started skiing @ about 10 (62 now) and am very comfortable with my skills. Maybe it's because skiing isn't like being on the road, where it very easily may be others that take you out. Maybe I just never had the right scare, dunno. I know it's odd, just the way I look at it.

Definitely a personal choice. Had a co-worker years ago that f@cked-up (caught an edge) and went off trail into the trees, messed his arm up pretty bad. When I asked him why he didn't just fall on his ass before getting to the edge of the trail, he said he just froze. Can't see me doing that. Like I said, moot point.

9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

If you think wearing a helmet while skiing has ANYTHING to do with your skill level, you probably don’t need to worry about wearing one ... nothing to protect. I suppose Bode, Maier, Vonn, etc. etc etc. just need more practice, then they can stop wearing them, too. :rolleyes:

stk0308 and wiggeywackyo like this.
  10. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

I woke up wedged up against a tree once on the last run of the day. There is a helmet in my car year round for every sport that sees me moving over 15mph now.

11. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

Nahhh you’ll be fine... here hold the wheel while I grab a beer from the back seat!!! Lol

12. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

Wear a helmet.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Was he the one playing football on the slopes, or was that Sonny Bono?

14. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Yes, correct. It was Kennedy.

15. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

@Hyperdyne ^^^^ This is exactly what happened to me. I was doing a rail slide and caught a back edge where a skiier had crushed the edge of the 1/2 pipe.
    One moment I was doing a back rail slide.
    Next moment, I woke up in the bottom of the half pipe, feet down the hill and seeing stars and a gnarly headache.

Made it down the hill, sat for 4 hours before I felt ok enough to drive home.
    Bought a helmet the next day.

Don't wait.

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Well, looks like I might not even need it. Just got a phone call yesterday that the hotel cancelled our reservations. Anyone know what Salt Lake is like in Feb?

17. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

@ton ^^^

18. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

That sucks...

I drove through Salt Lake a couple weeks back and it looked like Park City had decent cover. I spoke to my colleagues living there and they did say that conditions are “Ok” but nothing crazy. Haven’t been there in February, but things got icy by the end of the weekend when I was there earlier

19. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Yeah Mike wasn't too bright. He lived three towns north of me. Earlier that year it was disclosed that he was having sex with his 14-year-old babysitter. He denied it, took a lie detector test saying he didn't bang her until she was sixteen. That accident saved him from a lot of continuing embarrassment. :)

20. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Definitely. I use mine to put my gloves and other Shit in it while I'm eating lunch. It's saved my head more than a few times