1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old GS500 Race parts

Discussion in 'Wanted to buy or trade' started by Hpugh, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Hpugh

Hpugh Member

I am building a track bike out of 1990 GS500. I am looking for any old stock or spares like rearsets, clip ons, engine crash rails, etc. Any help will be appreciated. This will be my first build and I know it’s an older one, but will give me confidence in stepping up to my next level.

Thanks,

Howell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I think this is cool. I started with my wife’s GS550E back in ‘04.

Upside to Suzuki is “parts bin engineering”. Do your research and find out what’s interchangeable between the GS, Katanas, GSXRs from 88-2005. There will likely be a ton of hard parts that will fit or are an easy swap.

Also, hit up @Rich Graver as I believe he is(was) a GS hoarder at one point.

good luck on your build.

M

3. Hpugh

Hpugh Member

Thanks. I have been all over the twins forum and have purchased an early 1990s gsx front end and for when I get comfortable with what I am doing, a 1996 gsxr rear swing arm.

I know woodcraft made rearsets and I have called the company and they have no stock left.

I have looked other places for parts, but they have dried up by now.

If anybody has anything sitting around, let me know, I’m ready to do some track days on their bike soon.

4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I have a complete 89 that Graver built for me with a bad motor. Already has all those parts and upgrades done. Buy mine, put a new motor in it and be done with it!

5. Hpugh

Hpugh Member

Details on build please and price

Thanks!

6. fastedyamaha

Has a first generation sv front end to keep the forks legal, with springs etc inside. Has the R6 shock upgrade on the back, rebuilt by traxxion dynmamics with 1 race season on it. Brembo m/c with braided lines. Has sv wheels but I was never thrilled with the rear wheel, was going to swap the rear back to stock. Sv slicks are fairly cheap and I got a whole season out of 1 pair of slicks. Has rear sets and gp shift pattern from a gsxr, definitely makes a big difference for the pegs and are easy to replace. Fully race wired and has a belly pan. Unsure of state of engine, hasn’t run in 6-7 years. Has gr650 cams in it and air box mod. Due to possible engine issues, $500 takes it. Located in Akron Oh. I’m sure Graver would be willing to go over it and get it running for you if you asked.

Hpugh likes this.
  7. Hpugh

Hpugh Member

I’m super interested now. Do you know of a motorcycle shipper in your area that you’ve heard good about?

8. fastedyamaha

Where are you located? you might get lucky with another forum member coming your buddy way or you can use motoshippers.

9. Hpugh

Hpugh Member

Also, is the engine stock or was anything done to it when t was gone through?

10. Hpugh

Hpugh Member

I’m in the San Antonio, TX area

11. fastedyamaha

Motor is stock other than the gr650 cam swap. There’s really nothing you can do with these motors. Custom pistons are available from wiseco but they’re $200 each. You’d easily have $1500 in the motor to make another 5 hp, it’s just not worth spending that kind of money. You’d be better off buying an Sv650 than building a gs motor! The bike handles really good with the suspension work I did.

Hpugh likes this.
  12. Hpugh

Hpugh Member

It sounds like what I am trying to do with the the two rollers chassis that we have. I’d love to buy your bike. Let me work on transport next week and go from there. Thanks for being so very helpful!

Just a guy trying to learn to go fast on two wheels in a controlled manner.

13. fastedyamaha

It’s a fun little bike, it’s fast enough to have fun on but not fast enough to constantly worry about getting hurt. It’s cheap on tires and fuel as well.

Hpugh likes this.