1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long, LONG, DIRK DIGGLER LONG Term Storage of Bike

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Dec 29, 2020.

1. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

So....I'm thinking that I've owned my RC51 for about 3 years now and if I've put 300 miles on it in those 3 years I'd be shocked.

Thinking about turning in the plates and killing the insurance and just doing long term storage. Either in the garage or my local Honda dealership has said I could put it on display in their showroom with some other vintage Honda stuff they have.

Either way.....what's the proper way to set it up for long term storage? Remove the battery, drain all the gas and run it till it shuts off? Fresh oil?

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Dip it in cosmoline? :rolleyes:
    Seriously, I might consider also putting a silica gel pack in the gas tank to suck up moisture.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sell it to someone that will ride it?

joec, gixxerboy55, Razr and 14 others like this.
  4. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

fogging the engine wouldnt be a bad idea

R/T Performance and TurboBlew like this.
  5. ClemsonsR6

Ugh, No.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

drain the pump fuel, run some kind nonpump fuel thru system then fogging oil galore. Cap exhaust & intake.

7. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

This is pretty much what I did with the Ducati that's in my office. It's been there for 5 years, but I'm confident I could have it running in less than 30 minutes (the exact amount of time it always takes to get an old Ducati running).

R/T Performance and TurboBlew like this.
  8. ClemsonsR6

Ok so far:

1) Drain the Gas
    2) Fog the Engine
    3) Gel Pack in the tank
    4) Pull the Battery
    5) Plug the Exhuast
    6) Cap the intake
    7) Cover the bike

9. ClemsonsR6

What "non-pump" fuel did you use and did you leave the tank empty or topped off?

10. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

The tank is empty. I followed the directions on the fogging oil. I think it was spray until the bike stops running. Then I emptied the rest of the fuel. It's in my office so it is low humidity and great climate control. If I was storing it in a garage I might do something different.

TurboBlew likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's probably not ideal in a showroom.

Mud Whistle likes this.
  12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Never leave pump fuel in the tank. Never ends well plus it will vent the fumes. Trufuel or similar just to fill the pump and injectors.

13. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

Oil change, run it a few minutes to circulate the new oil
    Detail clean the thing.
    Run non-ethanol gas through it (ie VP 4 cycle small engine fuel), then drain.

Quick google on long term classic vehicle storage prep:
    https://www.volocars.com/auto-sales/news/how-to-store-a-classic-car

14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

You realize in a showroom that RC51 will get fingered more than the Prom Queen and Lead Cheerleader for the football team combined.

Graphic. Yes. But it makes the point in no uncertain terms.

jasonhise, Fencer and BigBird like this.
  15. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Pretty funny, and true. I go through this every year with my bevel Ducati’s. It always takes me more like an hour each.

I don’t know as I would put them out on a showroom floor though. Shop here has a bunch of really nice stuff out with “do not touch” signs. Last time I was there, standing 10 feet away with the owner, some clown hopped on one, put up the stand, and started twisting the controls.

BigBird likes this.
  16. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I'd flush all the brake fluid and coolant too.
    Clean and coat the chain with corrosion inhibitor.

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

You need to also be concerned with all the hardware and frame. If your not making a display out of it, you can use Fluid Film (stinks), CorrosionX green can (stinks less) or Zep Linebacker (the best IMO). These are all lube with wax. Very common in the marine industry. Spray it, let it set up and when you decide to get it going again, clean the shit off and you'll have a perfect bike.

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Fuck that noise with the dealership. :Poke:
    Garage it, keep it ride worthy and put 100 miles a year on that fucker.

StaccatoFan, RichB and TurboBlew like this.
  19. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Bring it here to Phoenix. Leave it however you want besides draining gas tank and battery. It won't rust. It won't corrode. It will last forever.

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Will you put it on front and rear stands?