1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spirit Airlines

Discussion in 'General' started by acorn27, Dec 22, 2020.

1. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Looking at some super cheap fares on Spirit right now - O'Hare to Tampa, non-stop for $37 round trip. That's crazy. It would only be my 13 y-o son and me for a few days, just a couple of backpacks/no luggage. Never flown Spirit. They say if it seems too good to be true.... Anyone have experience on Spirit?

2. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

NO!!!!

[/thread]

SuddenBraking and TurboBlew like this.
  3. acorn27

Why not?

4. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Fuck Spirit

TurboBlew and AC1108 like this.
  5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

100% you will wish you booked with JetBlue or Delta.

always delays or issues. tickets are cheap, because they tack on fees to everything. i think they even charge for a carry on. seats all have fees. food/drinks are extra charges.
    Spirit is the one airline you never want to use in the US. i've had friends that had flights cancelled on them and they couldnt get another flight and fought for refunds too.

6. acorn27

Fees for everything is getting to be pretty common these days. Many airlines advertise low fares and then charge for stuff. That I can handle, we don't care about any of that anyway.

But high chance of cancellation would suck, I would avoid Spirit if that was that big of a problem. But really if it is, how can they still be in business??

7. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I flew them once and that was enough. I think they charged for each sheet of toilet paper in the bathroom. And I think the bathroom door was coin operated too. At least it felt that way what with them nickeling and diming you for everything. If you go for the deal, good luck, just make sure you know how much they charge for luggage (carry or check). I think you get to bring on a small purse free of of charge and that’s about it. Maybe they’ve changed and my impression is wrong but maybe not.

BigBird likes this.
  8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Won't go near Spirit or Frontier. The last and only budget airline I took a chance on was Sun Country when I just needed to make a quick hop from LAS to PHX....fortunately I lucked out on that one, but I only took it because the one way United flight was 8x the price.

As mentioned, your ticket price literally only lets you enter the door of the aircraft, they nickel and dime you on precisely everything else they can.

BigBird likes this.
  9. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

if it's a short quick flight by yourself and you arent bringing anything, then it might be worth it. but i'm sure by tomorrow, there will be a lot of other comments on this thread advising to stay away from Spirit airlines.

10. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I’ve flown them a bunch of times because I’m cheap and don’t care about being uncomfortable for a few hours if it saves me hundreds of dollars. I had a long wait in Fort Lauderdale once, the line went out the building and people were losing their minds, but I still made my flight so again didn’t care since it saved me money. I think 3 little bottles of bourbon were $27 which is fine by me, and I never check baggage so didn’t care about that either. For those prices why not try it out?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. acorn27

Agreed, I can handle "roughing it" and even with fees it's still crazy cheap. What I can't handle is higher than normal chance of cancellation and leaving you screwed. I ended up booking on American instead and still got them for $106 per person. That's still an insane cheap price so I'm happy with that I guess.

BigBird likes this.
  12. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I’ve flow frontier into Tampa dozens and dozens of times.
    They charge for everything.
    Carry anything more than a small back pack and will cost you.
    Better of to check a bag.
    I think it’s them or frontier checked bags can only weigh 40 lbs not the normal 50 lbs most offer.
    Ive seem people flip out when they have a bag overweight of 40 but under 50. They assumed it would be 50z so check one or both of them can get you there.

I never had issues with flights being cancelled.
    I use Tampa airport all the time. Sarasota / Bradenton is closer to me but Tampa offers spirit and is only 45 minutes away.

Ride safe,
    AAron

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I flew them a few times years ago and they sucked hard but it was cheap and they were the ones who had the flights into those shitty airports/ locations. I think they stopped flying out of the DC area (except for BWI).

You might get there and they are cheap (up front).

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Be prepared to be surrounded by a clientele several steps below what you find on a greyhound bus. I would describe it as an open seat on a prison transport

OldGuyOnBlu, crashman, tl1098 and 3 others like this.
  15. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Fuck Spirit in their fucking face. I would rather walk

Sabre699, TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Just spotted one of their flight departing...

[​IMG]

17. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I fly Spirit a lot because of the cheap fares for my family of 4 and aside from some interesting clientele as mentioned above, I've never had an issue. I could easily pay the $4-600 more to fly Southwest, but why? Its a two hour flight. Just flew Spirit from Tampa to Houston this week. You will likely end up spending more than the $37, but thats just to pick seats if you want to sit next to your son, so maybe another $30 or so each for that.
    I live in the Tampa area and will take Spirit over Delta and American any day. I have issues with those two everytime I fly with them.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  18. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Isn't that true of most airlines these days, unless your riding up front?

19. mb17

mb17 Broughton859

I do it all the time and the people are trash and there are delays and last minute cancelation. It's definitely not a good airline but that's also why it's $30 to fly somewhere. I just take a backpack and sit wherever they put me so I pay their advertised prices so it's dope but I normally fly alone. If I went with my kid I would probably splurge and pick my seats.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

:stupid:

Once with a transfer was more than enough. Never again. Also, might as well stand for the flight like in a bus. It would have been much more comfortable

TurboBlew likes this.