1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can any of you guys manufacture plastic pieces?

Discussion in 'General' started by SirCrashAlot, Dec 18, 2020.

1. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Looking for a plastic protector for my tailgate on my truck. I don't think anyone makes one yet so there may be a market for it.

The fancy ass tailgate thing doesn't lend itself to being able to be fitted with a simple piece of plastic. I'm sure you guys can figure out what I'm talking about. Screenshot_20201218-191831_Gallery.jpg

Forgive the crude illustration but the area that would need protection is inside the lines with the cutout for the tailgate controls.

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I find it hard to believe there isnt a factory one available

henry_carlson likes this.
  3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I know 2 guys that have scratched their gate already because of that stupid design already. I can imagine an aftermarket piece is in the works from somebody.

If you could find a piece of Kydex big enough it would be easy to form with a heat gun and towel to form it over the tailgate, then just trim it to shape with snips. 3m tape would secure it. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  4. TSAVO5150

TSAVO5150 ASMA #70

They can mask the shape and cover that area with spray on bed liner.

OldSwartout and SirCrashAlot like this.
  5. SirCrashAlot

Both great ideas guys. Thanks.

6. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

Multiple layers of plastidip?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

7. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I'd spring for the berliner. Simple, easy, and super durable. Would look good too.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

PPF?

~sent from mobile

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I'd go for the bedliner too now that I think about it more. Didn't even cross my mind initially.

10. SirCrashAlot

Yeah I believe that may be the best idea also. It's damn dumb there's no protection there as it's the first place you grab when raising the tailgate. I'm sure there's some money to be made if someone with the knowledge and equipment wanted to manufacture and sell them.

11. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Ford makes a fix for that.

12. SirCrashAlot

OMG.... I already drive an Escape..

Knotcher likes this.
  13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Its a truck...be a man and scratch it

Buell1965 and Waterboy like this.
  14. SirCrashAlot

You don't understand... I already have :(

15. Berliner, I’d go as heavy as you can as a dent will show up a lot more than in the bed.

16. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Clear 3M paint protection film. You can buy it in rolls. It would be perfect for that.

88/532 and A. Barrister like this.
  17. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Along the same as the 3M tape but you could lay some wax down and use some grip tape like you'd use around a pool. It has about the same texture as the snakeskin Tech Spec stuff.

Phl218 likes this.
  18. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

That’s what I would do. Do the whole tailgate.

19. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

The only thing I can add is there is like zero paint on the new GM trucks … got a bunch of little chips in weird areas ( I understand the nose getting them ) . Truck has 14k on it so I barely drive it (2018 ) and theres 2 dozen chips. My buddy has a 2018 Ford F-150 and the paint is jumping off of it . So much for technology.

20. Phl218

Phl218 .

Molding such a large piece will result in significant tooling cost.

You could have it 3D scanned and CNC-milled but that’d also not be cheap

Find a carbon fiber guy... this is a racing forum ffs :D