1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Formula One Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Jan 16, 2014.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

That's a good analogy. Guess MB took away something from their FCA collaboration... FCA is still using the MB architecture for their cars and haven't changed their models in like 8 years, and none of them are known for their driving dynamics, well except their best driving vehicles, the T&C/Pacifica

Wish MB drove like a proper German sedan, rather than a German Dodge.

~sent from mobile

OGs750 likes this.
  2. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I'll take the opposing view. Checo does nothing for me. He is known as being good on his tires and just "being there". I can't think of any real flashes of brilliance that would put him into the consistently good or excellent tier. I rate Ricciardo far above Checo. Perez would be a great IndyCar driver. I also think if all teams in history acted like Red Bull, reflect on all the champs and good drivers that probably never would have made it because they didn't produce RIGHT NOW. Red Bull's rotating door, bar Vettel and Max doesn't convey stability for a younger driver to be comfortable and gain meaningful experience unless they are a wunder kid from minute one.

3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

The latter point you make regarding developing young drivers is exactly what was said on Jalopnik.

DrA5 likes this.
  4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

No one asked about Ricciardo though.

The comparison that should be made is versus Hulkenberg, where they both were on the same team for 3 years, and he outperformed Perez. Only reason Perez came out ahead on paper is all the bad luck that Hulk tends to attract, but points are points.

Hulk's been out of a solid seat for a year though, so Perez was the safer option. That and I bet he's bringing a bucket of Carlos Slim money with him.

5. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

So a perfect 2nd driver. On a grid where we have Latifi, Mazipan, Giovanazzi, Kimi (lately), potentially some others, it would definitely be a shame if Checo wasn't on the grid.

HPPT likes this.
  6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Yeah, perfect second driver... always there getting points, probably consistent top 5 in that car. Compared to Albon its a no brainer.

7. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

What about driving from last to first for his first win?

8. rwdfun

rwdfun

You definitely forgot Stroll in your list

9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Able to run an effective second car strategy to help Max.

10. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

That was good and unprecedented, but that was one race out of starting nearly every F1 race since 2011. Not consistently making an impact, at least in relation to the amount of attention people give him.

11. Pittenger5

Stroll isn't terrible. He is a midfield driver on merit IMO. Will never be great, definitely not as bad as some of them on the list.

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

LOL, Russell's time in Hammy's seat has everyone guessing if F1 is full of crap drivers.

BigBird likes this.
  13. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

Except for the fact that Russell is a great driver that's had the misfortune of being stuck in a crap car. I really hope he doesn't end up like Hulkenberg.

beechkingd likes this.
  14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Wait, what? There are people debating whether Hamilton would've had the same results if he wasn't in the best car? How much free time do people have on their hands?

I don't think that anyone in their right mind thinks that he would average double-figure pole positions and wins every year if his car wasn't the best. His results would unquestionably not be as good. But does that mean he wouldn't win the championship if they had people equal cars? That's an entirely different debate.

As for Russell, anyone following F2 knows that his stint in the Mercedes didn't prove shit. He is far from an average driver. Put him in a Red Bull and see if Verstappen can put 6/10th on him. Or even three. I very much doubt it.

beechkingd and Razr like this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Razr likes this.
  17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

BigBird likes this.
  18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

19. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, he is quite the tool. Close enough, yes?

beechkingd likes this.
  20. Pittenger5

Im sure appeasing his sponsors has nothing to do with that statement, as opposed to his intellect.