1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

That fully removes the radius on the front of the action. I will be doing more work on my match guns, so I will probably tweek that number a little to a set distance to the lugs, rather than a randomish number off the front, so gun to gun, that distance is consistent.

I prefer 2 stage triggers, but thats not always an option, such as my hunting gun, which is a Savage. One of my match guns is a Tac, so it has a 2 stage trigger, while my other match gun was a regular T3x, put into a Tac chassis, so single stage for that only, at this point. I want either another Tac trigger, or I need to buy (2) aftermarket 2 stage triggers.

OGs750 likes this.
  2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Well, thats not even a Tikka, so just a MDT chassis.

3. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

How does the Tac trigger stack up against the aftermarket stuff?

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Honestly, I've never owned an aftermarket trigger, but with a spring change, I think it's a great trigger. I'm not one for buying a bunch of stuff, I make what I already have, work better.

OGs750 likes this.
  5. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

yeah but he was asking about a what a chassis was... and google shot that back. i didnt think he needed to see an actual tikka in a chassis so much as just see a chassis.

6. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

What's the word on a Bergara LRP 2.0 300 Win Mag, with a 26″ Barrel. I am having dirty thoughts about getting one. Just for fun, I do not hunt.

P.S. I have a Sig SRD762 can laying around that should be rated for 300WM. That can go on it.

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The only experience I've had with Bergaras is one of the guys I shoot with weekly has a HMR that he was having some small issues with . Figured out that the ejectors pin was installed backwards, and the chamber must be real tight, because he gets pressures at real low load rates.

8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Should be fine. I really like my bergara ridge rifle and my brother bought one after shooting mine. I'm looking at the wilderness rifle in 7 mag. I don't have a magnum and really don't have a use for one since I should be Elk hunting next year with a bow.

3 shot group with 6.5 130 prime ammo off a rear bag and atlas cal 2 bipod 100 yards. Bergara ridge SP 18" barrel

[​IMG]

9. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

[​IMG]

Introducing the 14.9 SOP. Necked down from a 20mm vulcan casing, this round is capable of supersonic speed to 5400 yards, and lethal out to 3.5 miles. Where ever you hide, this will find you. This will decimate all. Rifle is from 50 West Armory, 07 FFL - 02 SOT

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  10. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Because fuck you, fuck your cover, fuck the 6 guys behind you, and fuck my shoulder.

DrA5 likes this.
  11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Nobody makes a bad rifle anymore, once you get past the budget basement offerings. Get whatever standard kind of rifle you like best, such as has been recommended already, Savage 110/111, Tikka, Remington 700, etc. Personally I lean toward Ruger. I would suggest you get it in 30-06 if you will be shooting factory ammo. If this is going to be your only hunting rifle, forever, then an 06 will do everything including moose and bears with factory ammo. If you really get into hunting, then you will be getting plenty of more rifles in a whole variety of calibers but will always need a 30-06 as a loaner or just a go to meat gun. I will always have a 30-06, but my current go to meat gun is a 375 Ruger African. I just got a 6.5 Creedmoor, because I would like to hunt antelope. See how it goes.:crackup:

aftriathlete likes this.
  12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I want to see the reloading press for that!

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

image.png

DrA5 likes this.
  14. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

My buddies dad playing with his new toy (.460)

Attached Files:

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Long time since this thread had any life.

Built myself couple new guns.

I wanted a replacement got my 7-08 hunting gun, because I never could get it to shoot as well as I wanted, so I built a 284 Shehane. It's on the heavy side at 12ish lbs, but I don't climb mountains with it. I built it to shoot 160 class bullets, hoping for ~3000fps out of a 26" barrel. So far I have been able to get almost 3100 with 166 A-Tips, but backed down my load, because that was a bit hotter than I wanted, as I actually put it in a chassis and shot it in a sling as a match gun for a while. Bartlein barrel, Tikka SS T3x action, Boyds Pro Varmint stock and a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44. Will carry 1000ftlb out to 1000 yards.

I also just got done building a smokeless muzzle loader. Savage Target SS action(right bolt/left port, as that's all I could get my hands on), 26" Bartlein heavy varmint .45cal barrel, ASG LRMP Gen 2 breach plug and modules, 300gr XLD bullets, H4198 powder. Shot it for the first time last night. 2850fps with 75gr of powder. Now to see how it groups. 20210816_191426 (1).jpg

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

^^ That’s a sexy firearm.

Good timing on the thread also. I have questions:

I picked up a Christensen Ridgeline a few months in 300 WM. I took it on trade to settle a bill with a local gun shop, so I didn’t give it a ton of thought.

I’m exclusively an archery hunter now, but decided a contingency plan was in order since my last two elk seasons have been bust with the bow.

I’ve hunted deer in shotgun only zones most of my life, and even when it was allowed, heavy brush and short range made my Ruger .44mag carbine a better choice than a proper rifle. So here I am at 42 with zero long range rifle experience. I’m capable with firearms, and shoot pistols and carbines well enough to not embarrass myself around my friends who do it for a living, but when it comes to long range and large calibers I’m clueless.

The blanks I need to fill in are: What optic? What ammo? Where do I go for training?

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Optics: hunting only? How much do you want to spend?

Ammo: I don't buy any loaded ammo, and don't have a 300WM, so I'll ask a couple friends that have then. I just threaded a 300WN for a brake last week.

Training: are you still out in Cali?

18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'd say hunting mostly. I can imagine geeking out on shooting targets a mile away someday, but the primary purpose is harvesting meat. I really want to stay under $1500 for the optic, but I'm a "never china" guy so that limits my options.

I don't anticipate being a guy that shoots elk from 700 yards. That's impressive marksmanship but to me it's not hunting. No issues with guys who do that but it's not for me. If I don't get a bull this year with the bow I'll likely get the rifle dialed in and go out with the plan of getting within 200 yards. That's still an easy shot for an amateur marksman.

I'm still in Cali but would travel for training. I actually prefer it.

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I like Leupold scopes for hunting. A VX5HD 3-15x44(same as on my Shehane) with CDS would be perfect for what you want.

JBraun likes this.
  20. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

answer to the "what ammo?" question- test a bunch and find out what that barrel likes if you plan to buy ammo and not make your own.

Gunsight Academy in Prescott (really chino valley) AZ has some long range classes, 6 hour drive from you down there in IB if you know the backroads out through the desert. little longer if you want to stick to the main highways.

there is also an academy or something in pahrump NV, frontsight? and i imagine they would have some long range stuff. i have never checked them out to be honest though.

JBraun likes this.