1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Las Vegas Bicycle accident

Discussion in 'General' started by SundaySocial, Dec 11, 2020.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I didn't say that you made such a statement because I did not go back to look if you did. I asked where your response is to people who say those things. Because that includes cyclists like Nicky Hayden who are simply out there trying to share the road with cars. It's not a sad tragedy only when it happens to people you care about, and Darwinism when they are strangers.

And one doesn't have to call for an all-out ban to express an opinion that cyclists don't belong on roads. Enough examples in here to show that.

2. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

I thought Nicky blindly rode out of the bushes into the path of a speeding car? Not smart either. All the respect in the world to the dude for being who he was and what he accomplished but yeah... not smart.

vizsladog and pscook like this.
  3. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

4. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  5. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

InSome very good points and easily could be avoided as (most accidents) potentially could be.
    Nicky Hayden unfortunately was a perfect example as ANY of us whom are in " accidents"
    He wearing earbuds ,was running stop signs.
    And the driver of the other vehicle was speeding you can't always count on the other people doing the right thing.
    What Nicki did wasn't any different than probably any of us do on a bicycle while on the road. No matter if it's a BMX bike mountain bike or road are obikes.There. most just don't stop at stop signs but slow down we go to left or right but many just don't stop
    It just takes the other half of that equation to meet up with us, most of us get lucky.

Just like on a motorcycle and I used to split traffic getting into L.A. 3 hrs of traffic every day & every
    day a 1/2 dozen uh ohs and almosts.

And today it's no different wai..I. it's so much worse with people today!!
    to drive a car and bicycle or a motorcycle.
    every single day you go out on the road some jack off fucktard rides your ass... generally a Joe Constructo in a pickup truck....int matter if you're doing 80 they ride your ass to get you out of there fucking way the same people who flip out over bicycles same people who flip out on old people driving slow....
    Now as far as the drunk driving charge what the fuck took so long!
    My brother was killed on his motorcycle by a drunk driver.. fuck drunks!
    They need to be punished to the highest extent of the law.!
    to get on the road or you can't handle a vehicle and stay in your lane..... it's abhorrent irresponsibility.
    He'll probably never see the light of day again.. for which he does not deserve.
    I doubt there's a single one of us here who is not a hypocrite when it comes to driving it's some point or many times slightly tipsy or like me 30 years of driving any vehicle be at motorcycle car or truck on the road fast if I had caused an accident my vehicle easily could have hurt somebody... We're all the same we just count on that other person not making that mistake.
    With more people the lines tend to converge More often.

Fate and circumstance is a strange thing...
    Whether it be Yourselves, mysef Nikki Hayden or the 5 poor bicyclists..
    If only any one of them... Throughout their day prior to the. accidents, just hesitated ever so momentarily in their day as to tie a shoe, look at a bird or just comb ones hair ...... That line of convergence would have been avoided ?? It goes both ways
    Every single one of us that is able to read this or comment.... is just plain lucky.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    RichB likes this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I pointed out your post. Deal with the now.

I’m not your fucking errand boy, you wanna get your Jill Biden doctorate, read them yourself and write your dissertation.

7. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

So I should respond to someone saying something I disagree with and if I don’t , I’m a hypocrite because I didn’t do respond to them ? Strange way to get there. My response to those that said that is in that post you quoted. It’s silly.

This incident is a tragedy also. Not to me, but for the families involved. I have only argued that it is plain stupidity to trust others on busy section of road. Especially a hwy. That’s what you do when you ride, push or power bikes. You’re trusting others. With power you have the ability to take yourself out of more dangerous situations. With a push bike, you don’t. You’re in that situation for a much longer period of time with almost zero ability to change it other than pull off until it clears.

Life is a risk and we all make choices based on how much risk is acceptable to each one of us. They choose poorly and because of that they are dead. I’ve seen people act like total asshats on back country roads towards cyclists. It’s uncalled for. I’ve also seen cyclists act like complete asshats because they feel people should recognize them. This happens in the city most of the time. Not all act like asshats in either situation. The roads are filled with assholes and people that shouldn’t have a license. Putting yourself in a situation where your safety is almost 100% relying on others to pay attention is foolish. Hence my Darwin comment. Same with riding a motorcycle with no helmet. Darwin Award.

About Nicky, I don’t know the specifics but he was not on a hwy, he wasn’t on a main city street in the heart of town. Nothing about his accident is the same or even similar to this other than they were riding bicycles. That’s where the comparison stops.

This is America, there are country roads in 99% of this land no more than 30 min drive at max. Europe is different as you know. Why would someone choose the level of danger these cyclists did when there are clear alternatives that bring the level way down is beyond me. I have yet to see a good reason posted.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not remotely writing them off but as a group who understands their hobby is dangerous we tend to have a bit more of a realistic view of tragedies like this. Driver being drunk wind or no there is now no excuse for this happening. However being on the road on a bicycle or motorcycle you have to accept these things do happen and you make the choice to put yourself in danger.

Bloodhound likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, although it was different, he screwed up running a stop sign. Totally his fault.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

His idiotic move was running a stop sign. That being said I think riding a bicycle on roads in Italy would be even more dumb than doing so on Hwy 95 in Vegas...

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I'm sure the people in Italy are more respectful of cyclists than people in Nevada. cf. Miguel's misadventure in Red Rocks Canyon.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not from everything I've heard about Italian drivers but I haven't driven there so maybe they respect bicycles just not cars/motorcycles/scooters.

13. cha0s#242

Bicycles are part of Western European culture. Romans drive like nutcases for sure lol

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah that's a good point, even slow single speeds are all over the place in the smaller towns and such.

15. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

As said, rolled a stop sign and had earplugs in.

16. cha0s#242

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

RIP.

I wouldn't want to travel that road regardless of number of wheels or mode of power. Straight is boring.

18. joec

joec brace yourself

Uh....excuse me?

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

He outted himself.

20. joec

joec brace yourself

So he's the guy always getting in my way? ;-) I figured there's one in every thread.... And well that pretty. Much had my name on it.. Lol