1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

You can switch to the milder ignition map to tame it down a touch till you get used to it.

turbulence likes this.
  2. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

hmm.. good eye. i’ll give it a look

3. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

The dude from the Dirt Bike Channel on the tubes (Kyle) is out of Utah- he rides countless trails locally that are absolutely amazing. Check out his content if you haven't already.

4. turbulence

i have been watching his stuff. he definitely rides some cool spots

5. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Yeah, the 300 has a shit ton of power...big thing that'll help is if those newer ones still have adjustable power valve springs in them, put the softest one in (green I think? yellow medium, red is most power as soon as possible). On my old '08, it was like a 2 minute swap. Just take the little cover off and swap the spring out.

turbulence likes this.
  6. turbulence

apparently the new ones don’t come with any springs

7. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

No to engine braking, there isn’t much there so usually it’s clutch in and brakes. If I feel like I’m really lugging around I’ll pull the clutch in and give it a few good “ring a dings” to clear it out but my bike is carbureted and an mx bike so it doesn’t like the low rpm putting.

You’ve basically bought yourself a litter bike for your first ride. Hang on and enjoy lol.

SuddenBraking, Phl218 and turbulence like this.
  8. turbulence

lol right? i’ve been riding a long time and have had a lot of bikes... i felt like it was my first day on a bike today. lots to learn yet!

DWhyte91 likes this.
  9. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

it was my understanding the 250 2T was more, hard hitting, and aggressive, than the 300... even though the extra CC's. Ski

10. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

You’ll loop it out at some point and then you’ll be good from there on.

Use the clutch when going over obstacles or up hills with reduced traction, etc.

A lot. Way more than you think. A slight slip of the clutch calms down that immediate “yanking on the leash” sensation and improves grip.

2t without good clutch skills is a hot mess.

also, dirt bike channel guy is ok. IRC Tire Guy is awesome. Rich Larsen can really ride and lays out some good drills.

cpettit, turbulence and Blue Junk like this.
  11. Phl218

Phl218 .

I have a deja vu , just like when I thought I need to start out in the dirt on a 450. :D

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

My first bike was a GSX-R1000K1 and it was totally fine. No dain bramage or anything, brate gike!

13. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Make sure it has the small throttle cam installed on the throttle tube, it comes with two. A map switch is a good investment also although just plugging, unplugging the wire works. The soft map definately helps. The power valve adjustment makes a HUGE difference in bottom End. Did on mine anyway. Stock seemed to have a hard hit because the power valve was closed too long then jumped open. Loosening it smoothed that out and picked up the bottom end. I ended up at 1-1/3 turns in. Stock was 4-1/2 on my bike. Most come around three. I really like the way they make power, very linear and smooth. I do a lot of small throttle opening smooth riding though, if you turn it a quarter way and let the clutch out it will make you rethink things in a hurry....
    If you want to scare your friends, put the aggressive throttle cam in, aggressive map and back the power valve off to 3/4 turn or so!
    It’s like riding a 500! That doesn’t vibrate and has electric start.

If it acts like it is wanting to foul a plug and burbles at low speed riding like a carb bike would swap the Baro and map sensors and ride it. Mine had a bad map sensor for the first three months. Swapping them was a instant cure.

The dirt bike channel guy makes some nice videos, till he starts talking.
    To me the Dirt Bike Test guys do the best job of providing useful credible feedback on stuff. Make a pretty cool online mag too.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    turbulence likes this.
  14. DWhyte91

But the torque the 300 puts down is where he’s feeling it. The power band is broader so the 250 will have that brrrrAAAAAP, but the 300 is just BRRRRHOLYSHIT. I want a 300 now.

15. DWhyte91

You should find a long stretch, get it up to 5th gear, tap the clutch and giver the gas. Make sure you’re filming it because it’s going to be really good or really bad lol.

SuddenBraking, turbulence and Phl218 like this.
  16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Really want to ride my beta 300 now.

renegade17 likes this.
  17. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

18. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

There is a SORCS race Sunday in Dawsonville Ga. Will get to ride mine for a couple hours. Looks like the weather is gonna be prime. The previous years courses had plenty of grass track mixed in that should be a blast on the 300!

19. turbulence

Just so ya’ll don’t think I’m a total squid..

I’ve had 4, 450 supermotos

2 s1000rr’s
    A paingale v4
    2 multistradas
    A 1290 superduke
    An 1100 V4 tuono
    A 2500cc rocket 3

And like 20 other bikes of smaller displacement

So no, I will not be taking it up to 5th, tapping the clutch and blipping the throttle :crackup: I at least have SOME sense of throttle modulation. There’s definitely an on/off switch with a smoker though that’s unique.

*Cues up 500cc MotoGP racing and :bow:

I’m just new to the whole, riding on dirt thing and breaking traction at 1/8th throttle.

but if I loop it, ya’ll will be the first to know :beer:

DWhyte91 and Phl218 like this.
  20. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Why would we think that? There are no GSX-Rs on the list. :D

Phl218 and turbulence like this.