1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What services do you tip for?

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Nov 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. BigBird

BigBird blah

At the end of the day, I'm pretty sure they don't want to be there either. It's a job and they are trying their best to earn some some money. Just imagine the smells, they have to deal with, and well the ones at a club/lounge that have to deal with the drunks and vomiters.

Just that alone is worth a couple $$ and I don't have to touch anything is a bonus.

2. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

I've never understood why I'm supposed to make that MY problem.

+123456789

Rebel635 likes this.
  3. Like I said, if I saw that one was actually making effort. Meaning the bathroom was clean, counters were wiped off, etc then maybe I might tip.

Sitting on a stool and handing me a paper towel, which is usually followed by looking at me and looking at the tip jar, hell no.

At most it might have saved me from having to take an extra half step, and reduced the height at which I have to raise my arm by half.

But it also added another pair of hands touching the paper towels I’m supposed to wipe my hands on.

Waitresses, delivery people, etc...sure. I am just sitting at a table or in my house and they are doing something so I don’t have to do it. They are actually providing a service that saves me both time and effort.

4. I reckon the biggest difference is that I didn’t ask for it.

I requested someone to move my boxes, I got someone to mow the yard, I sat down at a table and ordered food so someone can bring it to me.

I didn’t ask anyone to grab paper towels and hand them to me. Someone took it upon themself to do it, and then expects me to pay for it.

It’s right there with being at a red light and someone coming over and spraying soap on your windshield and then wiping it off, and expecting you to pay them for it....when your windshield was fine to start with, and you didn’t ask them to do it.

5. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Would all be less awkward if it was a full time, on the spot cleaner that left me alone and had a tip jar. I want that service, I don't want a soap squirter.

Most ridiculous place I've seen a bathroom attendent: Hustler Club on Bourbon Street. Bathroom was so small and dirty and dude was just in the way.

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

For servers, hell yes unless they're just gawd awful. They, as far as I know, make massively less than minimum wage. I was a server at outback for many years and we got something like 2 bucks an hour AND had to give a hefty portion of our tips to the bus boys and hosts/hostesses.

As for valets, F' THAT! I can park my own damn car. I have never had a valet park my car in my entire life.

One place I always,now, tip is a small mom and pop restaurant I go to almost weekly. They've been routed by the govts decision to lock them down. They're Japanese immigrants and I actually worked with their son, who literally gave up a lot of his salary to help them open. I go there every single time I go to my data center, and buy lunch for my whole family. Now, I tip them too. Those are the companies I pray stay alive through this plandemic.

Shocker and Gorilla George like this.
  7. Agreed...especially on the “leaving me alone” part.

And I cannot confirm or deny that I know what that bathroom looks like. :D

Chino52405 likes this.
  8. Poop

Poop solid today

shit in the sink watch him clean it up and you better tip him if he does a good job

jrsamples and Gorilla George like this.
  9. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

I hate the credit card readers that have appeared at every small business, the ones usually connected to a phone or tablet. They always pop up with recommended tips and some are stupid high. Then as I try to figure out how to enter my own or bypass it they're standing there staring at you...

The most agregious is the groomer that we use. She does a great job and I feel $65 is a fair price for her services but then that tip screen pops up and the lowest of 4 or 5 option is 18%. Pisses me off every time

Rebel635 and Gorilla George like this.
  10. :crackup:

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I've been amused a few times at restaurants when they bring the bill with the tips conveniently computed for you at the bottom. Only problem is that their 15% listing is actually 18%, and their 20% is actually 23%, and so on....

I guess that some fall for it.

12. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

If I’m getting someone to do something for me where I might be expected to tip, lawn guy and housekeeper come to mind, I straight up tell them I am not going to tip you. If you want to quote x dollars for the job and hope I’ll tip you another x dollars I don’t play that game...tell me what you want to do the job.

I’m not 100% DaveK though. This time of year they typically get paid double for one service and maybe even a gift card.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Gorilla George likes this.
  13. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Maybe his real job is to dissuade dudes from wanking in there.

BigBird likes this.
  14. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

You should always tip your dogshit scooper guy well.

o_O

BigBird likes this.
  15. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Only if my house is the last one on the route and he dumps his days work in my favorite neighbor’s fort.

auminer, Potts N Pans and BigBird like this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

In NYC, unfortunately valets are a way of life. I valeted in LI for a little in college and almost always the big tippers were people with older cars. I remember some dude in a brand new at the time 2 door SL550, asked me to park it up front. Sure. Got $1. A dude in a rusty manual subaru, $5.

20 years later: If it's the wife's car, i tip $2-5 when I get the vehicle back. I try to never take my car, but if I'm forced to, I usually hit them off with $10 to take care of it when I first leave it there. and depending where it is when I get back, i'll hit them up with another $5 or so.

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I tip people that have skillsets I can appreciate or have beyond my own capabilities, 99% related to the construction industry. There isn't much I won't tackle on my own so when I see someone that's a master at their craft and/or someone I can learn a new skill from I offer a tip. Most recently was having a concrete floor done.
    The remaining 1% above is to my barber but since I've been doing my own haircut in my driveway since March due to covid there's been no tip

18. trancework

trancework It's always now...

I follow the 'gentleman's rule' which states: Any time another human performs a service for you, you tip.

When traveling, a few $20 tips with the concierge makes getting any room/upgrade available a breeze.

Karma's priceless, good will is also comparatively cheap.

TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  19. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I tip at the usual places, amount is dependent on the quality of service.

If I'm somewhere that tips aren't a typical thing, and someone has earned a tip, I ask for the manager. I make sure they understand just how impressed I was with said worker, why, and that their service will make me a return customer. I figure this will help them get a raise as a valued employee, which will lead to a much better value to them than a small one-time tip.

20. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I’m gonna go Chaotic on your asses. Wtf does Karma have to do with tipping?

and you boys Christian? Why the fuck you quoting Buddhist philosophies? Karma is a scale to determine where on the charmic scale you’ll come back when reincarnated. You Christian boys believe in heaven so what exactly does Karma have to do with it?

“boo hoo hoo, waiters are paid peanuts”. Then quit and work somewhere else...free market determines wages. Seems working as a waiter pays well enough...

tipping is supposed to be for above and beyond work. When I’m impressed with your work and skill. Apparently just doing your job requires a tip?
    Cool. Imma hang a tip jar off my tool box from now on.

to me, people bitching about not making enough in tips are no better than people demanding $15 minimum wage. wanna earn more? Then go out there and and get a better job, skill, experience that’ll get you that. Instead of showing a tip jar or screen at me so I can offset your employer not having to pay you more.

PS. I do tip, cuz theory and practice are not the same. But to expect a tip for doing your job rubs me the wrong way. And going back to karma thing. You do the good thing cuz it’s the right thing to do, not to score some imaginary points with some accountant in the sky. SMFH

redtailracing and Gorilla George like this.