1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules Questions for "C" SS

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Gerry Gentry, Aug 27, 2020.

1. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

that's something i wasnt aware of. seems a bit silly since most people are running them on their bikes unless your bike comes with a good Brembo already on there.
    LRRS, CCS, ASRA, and AMA Grand (whatever) seem to allow after market masters.

2. Gerry Gentry

Gerry Gentry Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Mini info!

The M/C could become problematic. I've checked a couple of suppliers that sell OEM parts and the M/C for a 2006 GSXR 600 is listed as "not shipping" in other words not available. So the only source for OEM may be a used part.

Regards,

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

weird...maybe. Just one of those rules. Worst case you just have to run superbike classes vs superstock. Theres no shortage of C eligible classes. Especially on an older bike that can run in V8. And you can enter SS classes but be prepared for a dq if someone protests or they catch it in post race tech.

4. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

you're 100% right. it's just a bummer when bikes like the daytona 675R, and BMW1000rr, and ducati's come stock with really nice stuff, and the rest of us suffer and often upgade. that's why most orgs in the east allow "Safety" upgrades as long as their OEM size.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

But that's just it, it's not a safety upgrade. It is a performance one. You choose the bike to race, up to you which you choose. SS rules are merely a line drawn in the sand, as different as the OEMs can be trying to make all brands equal winds up being stupidly expensive and really no point, we have Superbike for that.

TurboBlew and SWest122 like this.
  6. Gerry Gentry

So I'm getting to know this bike we bought a little better (06 GSXR 600) and it looks like the fork tubes have been changed out to 750 tubes. Clues are black uppers with lowers that seem to have a coating. As far as I can find they are dimensionally and functionally the same as the 600. Mongo, can you give me a rules read on this? Would this bounce the bike out of SS into SB?

Thanks

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, the coating matters. The upper color does not. Still good for V8 and superbike no problem at all.

8. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Dude, just run what ya got. Nobody will care...promise. Good on you for doing such a great job at RTFM (most have the opposite problem), but don't sweat the little things.

If you got some time to kill, search on here about the double bubble debacle that ran on for years if you want some good entertainment.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. Gerry Gentry

Hey WB,
    Thanks for the info. Looks like our plan is to be at Willow in November with one rider for the lic. school. I don't see that showing up on the schedule yet but I have to believe Mongo is in the know so we are planning for it.

Regards,

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's on the yearly I just don't have the event schedule done yet. It'll be very similar to the last one which is linked lower in the list.

11. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

Semi-thread hijack...still a SS rules question..
    For ULW endurance the bikes are SS
    Stock transmission on Ninja 400 has wicked habit of slipping from 5th to 4th gear (at least mine does and it got worse during the season last year)
    So, the question - Undercutting the transmission to hopefully prevent this allowed for SS/ULW endurance bikes?
    Rulebook says OEM transmission must be used but doesn't say anything about modifying it to work better..is technically a "performance advantage" over stock but it is also done to fix a problem with the stock bike that probably doesn't present itself during typical street use...
    Thanks in advance

12. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

That is covered under the catch all rule, copied here directly from the rulebook. "The items above constitute the entire realm of deviation from showroom stock for Superstock classes. If it does not mention you CAN do it, you CAN NOT."

So you cannot do that per the rulebook

13. TurboBlew

How would you know its done, from a tech inspection standpoint?
    One could take the whole trans apart and WPC it... you probably could not tell a difference if you had a treated one vs untreated on a bench, let alone in the bike.
    I doubt someone is going to pay the $500 for a teardown to DQ a back cut trans...
    A well resourced team would have a buffet of "stock" parts... some are going to be better than others out of the casting or manufacturing process.

14. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

My response had nothing to do with enforcement of the rulebook, merely what the rulebook states. I've only had one bike I've ever ran in SS classes out of the 4 I've raced since I like to tinker. Some of the mods really didn't make any real world difference on the other 3 but I ran SB classes since it wasn't an allowed modification for SS. That's just the way I choose to compete. Anyone can do anything they want and I could care less since I don't run those classes.

Although I have been shocked at some of the stuff people have ran in SS that was absolutely an advantage including aftermarket fully adjustable triple clamps.

15. TurboBlew

Ive seen it as well with masters, aftermarket wheels & probably slippers... not worth the effort to protest for a position or 2 for a single sprint race.
    But for an endurance bike I would think you'd want to cover every mechanical weakness or repair short cut prior to the season starting.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That is true, so it's up to you if you want to cheat or not. The whole parts bin thing hasn't been true for decades, too easy to measure things and make sure they're all the exact same not to mention tolerances aren't remotely as sloppy in making things as they used to be.

Lance Molnar likes this.
  17. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

Thanks Sean...I'll assume that means it is not allowed?...will save me some money if nothing else....