1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you guys use to sharpen your knives??

Discussion in 'General' started by zook131, Nov 28, 2020.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

The number of woodworkers who have come out of the local art school that have never seen or used a cabinet scraper is depressing. I couldn't make it through lots of projects without mine.

britx303 likes this.
  2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Loud and clear! I get what you mean 1000%! Drove me nuts dealing with them types. They’d look at me all puzzled trying to figure out wtf my cabinet scraper was.......so I’d have ask them “you went to school for this?!” :D Face it man, we are a dead trade:D

3. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yep.

4. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Your 1st mistake was buying a Kershaw. Your 2nd mistake was thinking they were worth re-sharpening.

Juuust kidding ;). I have several Kershaws and I don't cry when I lose or break them, because they're affordable and some aren't half bad. My OD green Knockout is a damn fine knife.

5. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Kershaw's are extra affordable if you go to the annual warehouse sale.

I've got 2 Shuns for over 50% off

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I'm looking at a 3 knife set of Shuns. They come with a stick shear and another type sharpener. I hope they work well. They'll sure be an improvement over my cheap Hampton Forge set I've had for the last 15 years.

7. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

+1 Lanske.

8. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Mud Whistle likes this.
  9. zook131

zook131 Well-Known Member

It's not that serious & I'm not that dedicated!! I'm just trying to sharpen my kitchen knives but NOT get a Samurai sword edge. I ordered one of these, I'll update on how it.works.

Screenshot_20201129-104628.png

10. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I bit the bullet a week ago and bought a wicked edge with the stones and stropes from 50 to .5 microns.

The damn thing is incredible.

Previously I used stones from 200 to 6000 (DMT, Shapton, and King). The locked in angle the WE provides a whole new level of precision and speed.

I will say that since the diamond stones are so new I'm still getting deep scratches with some of the more coarse stones than I'd expect. WE says this is to be expected as there are typically extra diamonds that need to wear away to get to the true advertised grit.

Expensive AF but I sharpen as a hobby and for friends.

RichB and BrianC636 like this.
  11. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

I bought one of these probably 25 years ago for sharpening my kitchen knives. I have a J.A. Henckels chef's knife that I use 95% of the time that is as old as the sharpener. I probably paid $30 for the sharpener and it has worked flawlessly. It has a coarse grit and fit grit wheel. I probably only sharpen my knives a couple times a year, if that. It may not be the best way to sharpen a knife, but for my needs, it works great.

[​IMG]

12. I sharpen my knives on the skulls of zombies.

13. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Bullshit. You just buy a new one.

Sabre699 likes this.
  14. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Keep it very short and fast, been banned for a while. Maybe my comments on how well South Americana girls cook and clean. Get a wet stone. A steel and a tomato. Do the stone one way 3o times, repeat, till you can cut a tomato skin

15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The tomato skin sure is there international benchmark.

16. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

That was a test reply, so I'm officially not banned, Christmas came early, joy to the world, ride fast and drag your knees
    It works, 1000/6000 on the right angle. And a diamond steel (cheap dexter russel) Do the same count sharpening both sides, steel it and cut a tomato skin until your knife goes in it like butter

cha0s#242 likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yepper. Just have to hit the internet each time to remember the angle on the shun stuff.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It is kind of funny, I've got an electric sharpener, just haven't had a knife I cared little enough about to even plug it in and try it out yet. But it's only been 15-16 years since I got it so one of theses days I'll give it a shot.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

I have this one for about 5 years, definitely does the job.

[​IMG]
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TYBWJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1