1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Even Formula 1 Drivers think F1 is boring

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I stopped watching when they invented KERS. Red Bull cars that first year had such an advantage with the better technology I checked out.

BigBird likes this.
  2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

That's part of the reason the racing is more boring this (and past) years. Merc has nearly everything figured out better than their competitors. The last race was an amazing drive. But it would have been so much more exciting if anyone besides Merc had won. Its not unlike GP this year. Remove the top guy - Merc in this case - and the rest of the pack makes things more exciting. 12 of 20 drivers have podiums this year, which I think is high for F1.

Quicktoy likes this.
  3. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

Smaller cars, less downforce, more horsepower, fuel in pit stops. Problem solved.

4. Quicktoy

See I want more downforce. Their wings look stupid to me. I want the big 90s wings where the cars could drive inverted lol.

5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

LH: Who's that? Haaahhhahahahahaaaa!!!

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

People bitching about Mercedes/Hamilton domination: the record number of wins in a single season is still 13, a tie between Schumacher and Vettel. And that they had fewer races to do it. Predictable results go way back.

7. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

F1 would be awesome if they passed each other in the race.

BigBird likes this.
  8. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

According to commentary this morning, 54 passes in last year's race in Bahrain, eclipsed only by Monza, with 59. Not really sure what you folks are watching. Well, maybe you're not watching, just bitching. :cool:

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Passing for the 19th position is never seen on TV and most of them happen in the first 3 laps of the race or during pit stops. I stopped watching for the same reason I don't watch Napcar. Unless there is a wreck you might as well be asleep.

BigBird likes this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So, all those outside passes into T1 at Mugello this year, you didn't see any of that but you claim there is no passing? (And that was the track where they said there might be to fewer passes this year because of the layout.)

It's never going to be MotoGP but the current iteration of Formula One is certainly not the worst I have seen in terms of passing.

11. stangmx13

You think the current wings/cars have less downforce than the 90s?

There are a few corners on the calendar where the drivers say “This used to be scary. Now it’s flat out and easy.” R134 and Eau Rouge come to mind. That suggests current cars have way more downforce.

Razr likes this.
  12. stangmx13

Just imagine how many passes older generations of cars would produce if they had DRS

13. Quicktoy

I apologize. I thought they used to have way more down force. I loved that look more but I honestly thought I read they created more downforce.

14. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

F1 would be awesome if it they ditched 2 of the wheels or moved the races to Baja California and ran off-road for hundreds of miles at a time.

Sorry, 4 wheel pavement racing is about like bowling for me.

badmoon692008 and Quicktoy like this.
  15. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

What I have found is that you have to be into any sport to really get what its about, things change and the differences just get finer . F1 is great to watch if you know the backstories and tech details, right now one of the greatest drivers is in form and makes it look too easy so all the trolls are out in force wanting it dumbed down so other teams can catch up. Like Marquez is utterly dominant in MotoGP and we are (or sadly were) witnessing one the best ever riders in the sport at his peak, LH is the man of the moment. The difference between winning and losing is one cunt hair in tech or skill, it just doesn't seem like that to a casual onlooker.

16. stangmx13

Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound like a dick with my reply.

Honestly, the wings individually might have made more downforce sometime in the past. But current cars have so much more than just a front and rear wing to create downforce these days. The diffuser, the front T-tray, the floor, the barge boards, the engine cover, the T-wing, the rear brake duct fins - they all contribute. And every aerodynamic device on the car works together to make each one more effective. So in isolation on a test stand in a wind tunnel, the current front wing may make less downforce than some older design. But it creates vortexes that nicely feeds air to the T-tray and floor, allowing them to make way more downforce.

Of course, the teams dont want just more downforce. They want more downforce with less drag. And sometimes they dont even want more downforce. But id bet they always want less drag. Verstappen in Turkey accidentally had one side of his front wing turned up during a pitstop. Sure, it produced more downforce. But he sure went a lot slower with it that way. Even if both sides were turned up, the car would still have been out of balance, probably would have produced a ton more drag, and he would have been slower for both reasons.

(Ive got an aerospace engineering degree. This stuff is my jam. Can you tell...)

Quicktoy likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think he might have one too. Report cards at noon!

stangmx13 likes this.
  18. stangmx13

I meant to imply "Can you tell how obsessed I am?" :crackup:

Quicktoy and HPPT like this.
  19. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

And God are they fugly effin' cars.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Quicktoy likes this.
  20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I'm going by what a saw from the last season I watched. So take my opinion for the value you paid for it. I quit watching becasue I couldn't stay awake through a race.

BigBird and Quicktoy like this.