1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOT vs Slicks on MW bikes.

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

The video said he completed the five lap test with just eight seconds difference. I take that to mean the total five laps, which would put him at near two seconds per lap.

Bloodhound likes this.
  2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

GP riders usually dont put together 5 laps that close to their eventual race pace in FP1 of race weekends, let alone their first 5 laps. The track is green. They are cold. Their setup is off. Etc etc. To do that on unknown tires (which significantly impacts setup) while hes screwing around doesnt make any sense. 8 seconds off per lap makes way more sense.

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

:rolleyes:

Who the f talks about lap times that way?

rice r0cket likes this.
  4. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Awesome and the motor sounded like a blender put on turbo

5. Past Glory

Then give your interpretation of the statement in the video.

6. Past Glory

I have no problem with what you are saying, I simply went by the words of the story narrator. Did I mishear the narrator?

7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Similar but different story for me. I burned up my rear tire warmer and decided to go out in practice with only my front starting our warm. I couldn’t even run a slow pace with that setup as the rear just spun everywhere. I don’t do mismatched levels of tire anymore.

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I don't necessarily disagree with your interpretation of what the narrator said. I'm saying it's the stupidest way to discuss lap times and intentionally vague because it's beneficial to the purpose of the video. It makes no sense.

"...a time which was only 8 seconds off his best"

His best what?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    TurboBlew and gixxerboy55 like this.
  9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Talk to a tire guy trackside. The end

metricdevilmoto and TurboBlew like this.
  10. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

I talked to a tire guy and his answer was "If its available why not?" I switched to slicks for 2020 from DOT and I spend less than half the money and did more races. Once you take out warmers and a generator I still saved well over a grand in tires this year. Slicks lasted longer on the track just like he said, go figure.

jd41 likes this.
  11. jdaniel

jdaniel Well-Known Member

Here is one of my favorite quotes.

We spend 400 dollars on a set of tires that last for 24 laps, and make us 1.5 seconds faster than on 200 dollar tires that would last 100 laps, all to get your ass stomped by a 14 year old who you're pretty sure you saw eating dirt at the riders meeting.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

lasted longer how? Ive had bikes with 3 year old tires go 15+ trackdays with slower paced riders and still have visible depth dots. How much money did I save in that scenario?
    Bottom line here... pace dictates wear. The faster you go the more tires you use. If you want to use the gieco method of calculating cost savings not signing up for track or race events is a robust way to save $$$$$.

13. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I agree it's one factor but another huge one is bike setup. Yet another is correct compound.

I've had bad track setups (stock suspension set up for sport touring on my street bike which I was using to control ride) that destroyed a rear tire in 3 sessions and I've been greedy and went for a medium Dunlop slick hoping to get 3 races instead of the recommended soft, only to toast it in one 10 lap race.

Expensive lessons learned - always adjust boingers for their intended use and always listen to your trackside tire vendor.

Point being - maybe CLM81 had the ideal setup for slicks and always used the correct compounds for each track surface and weather which greatly improved his/her tire longevity.

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Another common sense decree on this forum, here during the pandemic? I just don't understand what is happening here
    [​IMG]

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That was hilarious. Not a great look if you're trying to demonstrate how much traction they have.

Those were great tires though. I raced on them on a cold and damp track back in the day and they worked amazing.

SpeedyE likes this.
  16. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Or.. ya just rode the slicks way more than ya did the DOTs since ya couldn't see the wear as much as on dots.
    Just a thought, I could be wrong... !

17. CLM81

CLM81 Well-Known Member

I set the suspension, maybe I got super lucky. My pace increased over DOT tires for sure. Compound was what the tire guy said(Changed though the year) I just know that DOT tires where done in a weekend. Slicks I got 3 or 4 weekends out of. Your results may differ or maybe Im just a tire snob.

18. itsrichierich

itsrichierich Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I apologize for bumping an old thread; I figured it’s better than starting a new one.

I’m getting back into track riding after being away for three years. I’ve been riding at the go-kart track the last few weeks on my CRF150R, which is currently on PMT slicks.

However, the finishing touches on my CBR600RR are tires, as I converted it from a street bike to a track bike.

I’m a mid-B rider with no intentions to race (except on the mini Moto). Previously, I’ve ridden on Supercorsa SP and loved them, but I have the opportunity to ride on Supercorsa TD SC3 or slicks. Is there a reason why I should pick one over the other?

I figured I would go with slicks (I have warmers), but afraid I won’t keep pace to ride on them safely. On the contrary, I don’t mind TD tires but if they’re the same price as slicks and slicks offer more grip, why not slicks?

Besides slicks on the mini moto, I have zero experience with slicks.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

[​IMG]

If you’re going to Lazarus a thread, there better be some trashy cooze, entertaining drama or some cute fucking puppies (but not puppies fucking, sicko).

Asshole.

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Good timing on this thread. My son and I ran Michelin DOT's last year on our SV's but switch to slicks for this season (Stones from Stick). I've never run slicks and we've never had warmers. Now we have the full setup. Tally is this weekend and it's supposed to be cold. Can someone teach me the typical procedure for using warmers? Mainly how soon before you head out for 1st practice do you hook everything up? I'm a complete noob at this.