1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 street bikes discontinuing

Discussion in 'General' started by DBConz, Nov 17, 2020.

1. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

wow...the beginning of the end for the SuperSport bikes. Guess all the BNG was the writing on the wall

Odilup likes this.
  3. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Isn't that just the UK though?

Ninja edit: guess not

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

No new ones sucks but for those who own them there are about a gajillion parts available and they'll probably be around forever.

5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

End of an era.

6. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

guess i'll be racing my 17 R6 until i break down and buy a 2023 R1 lol

7. From what I read, after 2020 they will still be available as track-only, and you will be able to upgrade/customize them to order. But no more will be homologated for the street.

So I assume that means that everyone will have to race ones that are <= 2020 models, correct?

WERA and MA doesn’t allow non-homologated specials to compete, right?

cav115 likes this.
  8. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Wow. Glad I just bought the 2017. Maybe that will help increase the value just like Kalifornia not producing gas powered cars in 14 years. My F250 Diesel is a wise investment!

SpeedyE likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

GP class gone?

10. Yeah, that’s true. But I doubt someone would go through that much time/money on buying and prepping a new R6 for just one class.

It’d be cheaper to just find and older model one.

11. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

explain. i'm not getting this one

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

There is a WERA GP class for non-production bikes. You can race a NSR500V in it if you can convince Geoff Maloney to sell you his.

13. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

For the bike to be legal for Supersport it has to be a production / homolgated machine. GP classes the bike does not have to be a production machine

SUPERSTOCK: There must be at least 1000 motorcycles available to riders, worldwide, per year and the machine must be generally available on the U.S. market with full EPA and DOT approval to qualify a machine for the Superstock categories. Proof of eligibility must be provided by the rider. Superstock machines are defined original motorcycle manufacturers’ equipment intended for use on public roads which are allowed to use an aftermarket or racing exhaust system instead of the stock exhaust system and other modifications as listed below. The decision regarding the legality of any machine entered in a Superstock class is the responsibility of the Chief Technical Inspector for the event in progress. The rider or sponsor of any machine is responsible for producing a service or owner’s manual with all part numbers, specifications and other material required to prove its legality. Legality will be determined based upon manufacturers’ specifications (or comparison of similar OEM parts) for the year, model and make of the machine entered.

14. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

ok, so why would the GP class be gone?

wouldnt that mean the SS classes will be lower since the newer R6's wont be production?

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Broome has been to a WERA event more recently than I have. He said there was no place to race a non-homologated R6. So I wondered if the class had been terminated.

16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

It wouldn't be non homologated... it's previously homologated

17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

and it's demise can be chalked up to the cost of emissions compliance

18. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I don't know how to feel about this one. I am in the middle of gathering parts and race prepping a 17 R6 for endurance.
    Do I stop and jump ship or press on with the hope that there will be used parts available for a long time to come.

19. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Shame, but it cost just as much to develop a 600 as it does a 1000. Then you cant expect to sell a 600 and make nothing.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Id be ok with them selling for off road use only. No exhaust or lights or body and a primer tank. Or offer race glass with factory motifs. Would be awesome

cav115, turbulence and backbone like this.