1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

well things are gonna get pricier now if thats even possible

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Hard lesson learned an hour ago, that people have been long warning me about..........time to leave Maryland. :mad:

DmanSlam and Photo like this.
  3. Picked up an XD.45 with extended magazine today. I already have the 9mm version of this same exact gun. I love it, so I figured I’d get the .45ACP to match it.

With the extended magazine it has a capacity of 12+1. That’s pretty damn good for a Compact .45.

13D97960-AC27-4BA0-99AF-CD21A85AEA2C.jpeg

4. 605BBAB8-7BA8-4AF1-85AC-FC2B2FF64987.jpeg And finally got the damn Trijicon SRO mounted to the VP9L.

As an FYI, if someone gets (or plans on getting) one of these, you won’t be able to immediately mount any Optics.

It has the cutout for Optics, but you have to contact HKParts (I’ve got the contact info if anybody needs it), tell them which Optics you are trying to mount, and they will send you a “crossover” plate to adapt to that particular Optic.

5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

6. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  7. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I'm not a gun person persay....no issues with them, just could care less. But, with the end of world near :D, I would like to get a handgun for self-defense if ever needed...not for a modern day Civil War - if that ever happens, I'll hope for the best.

I'd be getting the CC permit in FL as well, so something reasonable size wise, and effective if needed to use.

Have a friend who's ex-military, and now a police officer, very bright guy. Again, for self-defense he recommended a few:
    Glocks - 19, 43, 43x
    S&W M&P
    Springfield XD

Would like to here you fellows thoughts as well.

Many thanks! :cool:

8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

All good choices. I'll add the H&K VP9 (multiple variants ranging in size, mag capacity, fancy bits) and anything from CZ that meets whatever criteria you determine. VP9 is my favorite. Never owned a CZ but shot a couple (and was very impressed) and hear nothing but great things from others about them.

SpeedyTide and Gorilla George like this.
  9. Those are all great choices. You can't go wrong with any of them. My advice would be to look for a range that has rental guns you can try.

Short of that, at least go to the store and ask to see one of each and see how it feels in your hand, how easily you can operate the controls, etc. They will all feel a little different, and/or they will have different mag releases (H&K's for example have the mag release on the trigger guard).

It is sorta like buying a new car. You can be sure that any brand new car from a reputable brand is going to run, the biggest variable is the ergos, ease of use for all the controls, etc. So you can find which car suits/fits you better, without actually driving it. Buying a new gun is similar. With those quality choices, you can rest assured the gun will shoot. It just a matter of finding which one fits your hand better and is easiest to work for you.

BUT, after you buy the gun you like the best, take it to the range and shoot at least 75-100 rounds of your ammo of choice through it. You dont want to rely on a gun for self defense without having put a few boxes of ammo through it. That is what i do. Anytime I buy a new gun, it will stay in the box until i have ran a few boxes of defensive ammo through it. I wont put it in a situation/location where i plan on relying on it for self defense until i know it will cycle good with my ammo of choice.

SpeedyTide, Triple X and DrA5 like this.

#156 Well-Known Member

If you are prior military you can get carry permit in florida with DD-214 and not have to take any classes.

11. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I am a fan of the Springfield XD line. I like the grip safety. Just one more hurdle for little hands to not be injured from a misplaced/found weapon. They make top notch stuff at a reasonable price. Their 1911s are sweet, as is their Saint Victor line. The hardcore enthusiast has a hate on for Springfield being anti-2A. I don't know the full backstory, but they say Springfield donates to anti-2A groups, which to me is like cutting your own throat. Unless they are playing the long con game, and knowing that gun-grabbing panic will result in empty shelves and an empty warehouse with full production lines running.

SpeedyTide and Gorilla George like this.
  12. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I have several Glock 9mm of various models. The thing i love most about Glocks over those other brands is the availability of parts and mods, holsters etc. You can grab like a dozen Magpul magazines in various legnths and they're all gonna fit the G19. Magpul stuff is high quality and very affordable.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  13. :stupid:

I’ve probably got more Springfields than anything else. I also love their XD line and they have a good stock of stuff online. I’ve ordered several extended magazines for several of them (9mm and .45ACP), and all of them shipped the next day.

On the other end of the spectrum, H&K is out of stock on a ton of shit and has been for a long time.

As far as the “anti 2A” stuff, I’ve read the story but it’s been too long. I can’t remember the details. But I believe they fired the guy that made the anti 2A comments and haven’t said/done anything anti 2A since due to the backlash from their customer base.

SpeedyTide and DrA5 like this.
  14. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

If you are not a gun guy, then I would recommend that you consider a double action revolver in 38 special, like a Ruger SP101. Once you become a gun person then you can add whichever pistols you would like to your collection. A good revolver is all you really need, the rest are just add-ons because you can never have too many.

SpeedyTide, Sabre699 and Razr like this.
  15. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

As mentioned, good list. Another vote to add CZ to the list. Kahr CM9 is pretty good pocket gun, at least for me. Like George said, go to a range that rents some variety and try them out. Need to consider how you're gonna carry it when checking 'em out. OWB, IWB, or pocket. If you're only going to get one gun to CC, then it needs to be one that you can shoot well, enjoy shooting it, and not have an issue carrying it.

16. Correction, capacity is 13+1. I put about 200 rounds through it today, and put the same through the VP9L.

Both of them performed perfectly. I like the VP9L so much, especially with the Trijicon SRO, that it is going to be my new primary home defense gun (instead of the Sig P227 TACOPS).

I also put 4 magazines worth (132 rounds) through the Ruger PC Charger. It took me a little while to get the Laser zeroed.

I like the Charger a lot. Because it’s a 9mm, but it’s big and heavy, there is very little recoil at all. Target reacquisition is basically instantaneous.

BUT, it did jam on me 3 times. I only had one kind of ammo with me (Speer LE Gold Dot G2, 147g HP). I would hope it’s not the Glock magazines. I’ll try a different kind of ammo in a day or two and see what happens.

17. Agreed.

7FC46E3A-59F7-4681-A15A-DA1EDE9231A4.jpeg

18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Add the Sig P365 to the list if you want a compact. Check the capacity vs the baby Glocks.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  19. Good call.

And also consider the Springfield Hellcat.

It’s a 9mm “micro compact” with a 14 round capacity. It’s been my primary EDC for some time now. Small, easy to conceal, GREAT sights, and packs a punch.

SpeedyTide and DrA5 like this.
  20. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

School me on your light setup. I have the Saint Edge pistol which is very similar but I'm looking for a light.