1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedhive App - Worthwhile?

Discussion in 'General' started by alienbogey, Nov 4, 2020.

1. alienbogey

alienbogey Member

New racer here, going to be a Novice in 2021, covid willing.

So I'm shopping for a transponder and, broadly speaking, I can find an old-school non-subscription transponder for $400 or so, or I can get a new TR2 with lifetime subscription for $599 or so. Aside from used versus new, the only advantage I see to the TR2 is that it is compatible with MyLaps' Speedhive app.

Is that worth $200 more?

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

the answer is always new.

I did find a nice deal on here with a member though for the old one, so I can't complain.

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

All my results with the old non-sub transponder show on Speedhive. I think it’s because the race orgs submit them to MyLaps.

cav115 and BigBird like this.
  4. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I had the new x2 transponder and absolutely hated it. It required a subscription and would work in practice then not register during the race and all kinds of stupid shit.

I as well as many other riders bought one of the old ones and have had zero problems with it. One 12hr charge lasts the weekend. Works every time you cross the start/finish line no drama.

5. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I have an X2 and have had no problems with it. Ebay has the best deals with online dealer.

6. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Should be a 20% discount with your AMA membership, which you need anyway.

7. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Fixed it for ya....

[​IMG]

Seriously though, Big props if you really coming to race. Will be the Best times of your life, best memories of your life.
    Welcome :timeforabeer:

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't see what the old ones wouldn't work with the app - the app is just to view scoring isn't it?

9. Critter

Critter Registered

find a friend with a smartphone at the track and don't worry about lap times in your first year, save the money and buy more tires... just use a 12.00 stop watch

SpeedyE likes this.