1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serial 1

Discussion in 'General' started by Phl218, Oct 27, 2020.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Getting an eBike was one of the best purchases I've made in many, many years.
    I was so unfit I could barely complete 2 laps of an mx track

I spent too much time working, eating like shit and hadn't worked out since 1992.
    I've lost 30lbs since riding and eating better.
    I can ride 45/55 miles of pavement or tag along with my brother and friends on any trail.

Its like a gateway drug, I'm now looking into getting a Pinarello road bike.

cha0s#242, ducnut and Phl218 like this.
  2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

You have to pedal the e-assist bikes. And when the battery dies, you are pedaling a really heavy bike.

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

In a hilly area for people who aren't in great shape or who are older, those bikes are great.

stk0308 and L8RSK8R like this.
  4. L8RSK8R

Yup. Very difficult to pedal a 53lb bike when the power shuts off :)

5. KCFirebolt

KCFirebolt Large man. Little bike.

I'm with you. I think it looks great, so maybe something is wrong with me too. It's a nice blend of modern and retro. Kind of stately. Like you, I'm not sure I'd spend big money for one, but I'm glad it exists.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

you can also flash the controller and get those bikes up to really funny speeds.

7. Those shits are very popular in Copenhagen where bicycles are the primary transportation for a lot of people. Not the Hardleys, but e-bicycles in general.

ducnut likes this.
  8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

It looks awesome. I love the early century motorcycle inspired design. My 74 y.o. dad worships his Specialized electric bike and would totally dig that Harley for inner city putting around.

9. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

For one of my previous jobs my building was only about 5 miles away. I wish eBike tech was around back then because I would have absolutely gone that route.

I had considered using an actual bicycle back then, but I wasn't a fan of arriving all sweaty during the Florida summer months.

These eBikes cover the same ground, much easier and faster, with next to no effort if you dial them up a little bit.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Did not know this.

What kind of flat ground speeds could one "possibly" attain ?

11. L8RSK8R

I've hit 33mph and ran outta gearing. Motor was still assisting.
    I'd suspect with a larger chain ring I could get close to 40mph.
    Battery depletes itself much quicker but then again, you arrive at your destination twice as fast.
    My bike's a class 1 = 20mph max assist.

That's a slick lookin' Harley though.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

my dad's is an older model, german moped laws require it to be limited to 27kph. the module he has overrides that and allows him to go until the motor reaches its limit.
    sometimes he does 40 kph (~25 mph) , he thinks it could do 50.

13. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I walked into a bicycle store for the first time in a long time and the salesman told me I can get a good mountain bike for six grand but a great one for 10 k
    Lol.. F that...Neva gonva happen...
    So are there asking between 4k and 6k for an electric bike urbanite that's not too shabby and that thing looks pretty cool

14. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

I really didnt see the need for these but as an avid mtn biker it got me thinking that one day i may not be able to pedal as efficient as i once could, but i can stay in the game due to these e bikes.

L8RSK8R and ducnut like this.
  15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My son is a MB'er out in Oregon where there are lots of mountain trails. He was struggling going up one trail when an e-biker comes up and gives him a hand in the final climb. That bike pulled both of them up, I assume they were also pedaling, but still. He was dissing them before but now he's thinking it's a pretty cool idea.

16. They will sell it cheap and make up the initial profit loss on accessories and apparel.

17. I’ve seen Mtn bikes approaching 15k, the amount of money into my dust collectors(Road bikes) because I can’t ride because if my hip is staggering when I think about it. Some of those folks are worse than street squids when it comes to upgrading their bikes, myself included in that. Certain things like wheels help a lot, others not so much.

ducnut likes this.