1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Want to Help a Sick Kid?

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I thought about posting this on here for the last couple weeks. Then I thought, there are quite a few compassionate people on here, and it's a great cause...why not. I was watching the local news about 5 weeks ago, and a story about a 10 year old boy with Leukemia came on. For some reason it just hit me, hard....about how sad this story is. I just couldn't sit and do nothing. I started following his mom on Facebook, we chat every day. She seems very nice, and I can tell she's terrified, and nobody seems to help. He needs a match for a bone marrow transplant. This is his 2nd bout with Leukemia. She just wants awareness, to hopefully find a match.

Here is Brian Perkins (Mongo, hope this is ok) https://www.facebook.com/keepbj.strong

G2G, SundaySocial and SpeedyE like this.
  2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm good with the post.

G2G likes this.
  5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You're the only one.

Anyway....update, I emailed a billboard company and they agreed to place an ad free on one of their electronic multi-ad billboards. I'm also putting together an ad for one of their permanent banner type billboards, I just have to pay a $500 deposit and the cost to apply the banner, maybe $1200 total. I thought this was very generous of them, they don't know me or the family of the sick boy. The company is Lamar Outdoor Advertising.

RightSideUp, G2G, L8RSK8R and 3 others like this.
  6. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You're a good dude.
    I've had something similar to leukemia since birth, so my mom is very active on online groups etc so I'm going to send her the link to share around as much as possible.

7. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

10 years old.... :( Thank you for posting it up here Razr, will share around now.

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Thank you. That's all the mom wants.

L8RSK8R and noles19 like this.
  9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Thanks, all it takes is one person to get the word out, and hopefully find a match. Maybe someone else will get a match. Being a bone marrow donor is pretty simple, it takes about 2 hours, outpatient, you're sore for a couple days, and that's it.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I rarely post on Facebook, but I did today and this thread made me think it wouldn't hurt to mention it here. Covid has seriously depleted the blood supply and there and many children battling many different kinds of cancer and other life threatening maladies. I donate as often as I am eligible. Please consider doing the same.

dtalbott and Razr like this.
  11. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That's about the only good thing about FB, it can get the word out. My wife's friend request to me sat for a couple years before I accepted it, I wasn't on there much :crackup:
    I donate blood a few times a year, it's easy and fast.

R Acree likes this.
  12. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Our company has the vein train that stops about 3 times a year and i have been here 21 years , my wife loves wearing the t shirts they give me and I encourage my coworkers to donate also . Wishing the best for the lad .

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Update.....Brian will have a bone marrow transplant at the end of November. They never found a complete match, so his 19 year old brother will donate, he's a 50% match. The little man is a fighter, and he has an incredible attitude, he keeps his Mom strong. He gets to go home for one day every 2-3 weeks, and his teacher has been approved to deliver his homework to the hospital, she will stay and help him study.

14. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I was my buddies live in caretaker from Feb to August. His transplant was Jan 10th. Hardest thing I've ever taken on.
    It's extremely hard on the patient and caregiver/s.
    I wish nobody would ever have to go thru this.
    You're a good man Razr!!

I'm following the kid and donating.

SpeedyE likes this.
  15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You've taken on WAY more than I did, I applause you. Not many people would do that. Is he doing ok?

Earlier this year, I went through (still am) a pretty serious medical issue...my pancreas wasn't working right. I lost 40 lbs in 2 months. Short story....I think (pray) I beat it, feel WAY better now. But something clicked inside me. I wasn't the arrogant ego bastard anymore :crackup:So I signed up as a volunteer at a children's hospital, started a Alzheimer's walk team (honor of parents) Started spending more time with family and friends. I just softened up. If you go to the St Judes website and watch videos of those kids and don't feel anything, you're a cruel bastard. It can take so little effort to make a huge difference in someone's life. Now back to the normal tough guy macho motorcycle talk show!

SundaySocial likes this.
  16. Buell1965

Count me in for 50.00 , let me know where to send for the best use . GOD BLESS THAT LIL FELLA .

17. Buell1965

PM me razr where to send the check and it's on it's way friday , thank you sir for what you do .

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I don't have any contact with him or his Mom other than Facebook, even though they're in the same city I'm in. We are planning on a dinner when all of this is over....the pizza's on me. Here's a link to donate, or I can ask her where to physically send a check. Thank you very much, I know his Mom really appreciates all the help people are doing....https://www.gofundme.com/f/keep-bj-...er&utm_campaign=p_email+5102-48hr-donor-share

Buell1965 likes this.
  19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

How do you go about getting tested for the bone marrow ? I have no idea what I am. I've donated many gallons of blood over the years but never had my BM tested.

OK, I just read that...my BM has been tested...the OTHER BM you fucktards.

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Pretty simple, and free if you're under a certain age....late 40s I believe.
    My whole family was tested about 30 years ago for a very sick 5 year old cousin with a rare blood disease. Nobody matched her, but I am a match with one of my older brothers.....so I got that going for me.