1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a vehicle (Minivan specifically)

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Ok car guys, I am a TERRIBLE person when buying a vehicle. Like Broome level bad meaning I want it right then, no haggle, no bullshit just tell me where to sign.

Well I am trying my best to do better this time.

Found a vehicle that the wifey wants, 8-10 hours away if that matters.

Chrysler pacifica hybrid.

Dealer has it for 30k. I am thinking I want to steal it for $25k.

Are there lots of markups in used vehicles? Are they going to be more or less flexible if I have my own financing, or are they hoping to back end me and make more off me with financing there?

I feel like a twat cause I know motorcycles, but the sales is a nother animal when it comes to vehicles. I guess the selfish part of me says that since its not for me, I want to get it as cheap as possible.

Gorilla George likes this.
  2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

You know you are paying covid prices for crap right now?

3. notbostrom

You will essentially be getting raped but a pacific depreciates fast for good reason. Post up the specs

418 likes this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

cha0s#242 and BigBird like this.
  5. Robby-Bobby

We had one already that she LOVED. This is the hybrid version with all the bells ad whistles.

I mean, its 100% HER vehicle other than if/when we take trips with the kids so I don't care.

6. Robby-Bobby

7. Robby-Bobby

Oh fuck. Is there a thread link?

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I'll betcha they won't go down more than $500. I've tried to buy a few used trucks over the last few years and the dealers price them at the lower end of retail KBB and really won't negotiate. You can thank CarMax for that business model. The shady used-car dealers inflate the asking prices and will haggle, but not mainstream dealers. YMMV :D

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

it will take days to collect his praise

Yo!

BigBird likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

I love me some Pacifica, but not sure about the hybrid.

The hybrid didn't get a good long-term grade https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a22688297/2018-chrysler-pacifica-hybrid-reliability/

I would get a new non-hybrid one, there is a lot of incentive money right now, especially conquest. Once you own a non-FCA car, don't have to trade it in, you can get up to $7K off. Check TrueCar to get an idea of deals in your area. I would look at Touring L Plus personally, but even the Touring has good options. I would add the S package as it looks a bit nicer and get the premium audio if you get the regular Touring.

The Touring L Plus has screens in the seats and Alpine Radio, heated 2nd row, etc.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    ducnut and Phl218 like this.
  11. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Go to Truecar.com and see what other dealerships are selling them for. Where is the car? If it's anywhere near me in NC, I'll be glad to go have a look for you, I owe you for helping me with the WR250-R

12. notbostrom

13. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

There's GENERALLY more margin in selling used vehicles than new ones, but the money maker on used vehicles (depending on the price) is in the financing. This is definitely the case with cheaper vehicles, but may apply to the 20-30k range also. People shopping for 10-15k used cars don't pay cash and are generally happy they get 'bought' by a finance company who will front them the money. Because they don't know/care about the rate, there is additional margin made on the interest rates.

Summation - I doubt they'll hesitate to take $1k or so off of a 25-30k vehicle, but you'll definitely have more negotiating power if they're the ones providing financing as it means more profit for them. So agree on a price of the vehicle first, tell them you'll finance with them. Then check your credit union/bank against their offer and make them match or beat it and obviously honor the original price.

14. notbostrom

Does it have white wheels? Asking for a friend

969, ChemGuy, Sabre699 and 2 others like this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

i'm cheap too, but i also hate car salesmen. so i settled for carmax for my last truck...

here's one in Cali.
    https://www.carmax.com/car/19513852

fly out there, get their financing (2% with great credit) and drive it back...

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

Get a new non-hybrid....with truecar it's a pretty painless process usually. the dealers usually stick to their pricing, etc.

ducnut likes this.
  17. Robby-Bobby

doesn't have front tv's in the backseat.

18. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Chrysler Hybrid, I cant think of a single thing that could go wrong.

19. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Just joined the minivan club yesterday. Not a Pacifica though. I ended up going new just because they were dealing more on those than used ones.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The deals on new vehicles right now are stupid. Really, it might be better in the short and long term to look hard at new.