1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's my swing arm play?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Brutal, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

I've never carried out a job like this before or even checked it tbh so wondering what you guys think??

2. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I know what I would do, looks like a decent amount of play to me. Dont know what the spec is but if you can hear it moving, sounds like too much too me!

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

bike bought new or used? ever been crashed?

5. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

With the caveat that I've never changed a swingarm on a R6, but I have to assume its very similar to any other sportbike, and it's hard to see what's happening in the video exactly...

Easiest thing first is check that everything is tight like it's supposed to be. Where the swingarm mounts to the frame, there's usually an adjuster to account for production tolerances and an exact fit. If it's like the Triumph ones, it can back off without the outer bolt coming loose. Some bikes it's held tight by the outer bolt. Also, if it's been ridden like that, I would check the dog one/links to see if any of the holes have become elongated.

Basically, follow the shop manual for removing/installing the swingarm and you should be good. Possible that the swingarm bearings are bad as well, either because of this or the cause of it.

To answer the general question, the swingarm should have no noticeable play side to side.

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Well with the chain going slack without the tire rotating definitely shows movement, i agree the whole setup is moving a lot to judge.

7. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

Appreciate the replies lads! Im slowly learning the trade....

This is a 2011 R6 race bike that hasn't ever been on the road, the play is very little, the noise is more like me pulling the bike and the stands moving, I think ill pull is apart inspect and lubricate.

The manual states lithium soap based grease for the shock linkages, most of the bearings have grease like moly grease, however the one that connects to the lower of the shock is the wax which seems very dry, do i replace the wax with something like moly grease??

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Id bet the bearings are completely shot if it moves at all with the shock, linkage, and wheel still on there.

9. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

I have now removed the shock and wheel and can see the swingarm is actually moving side to side, looks more like the bearings need repacked and tightened up rather than worn bearings.

Movement is around 1-2mm.

Ill have a look in the manual to see if I can tighten it up a touch.

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

A moly grease should work well in that situation. Then again, just about any grease is better than a lack of it. We do linkages and stuff in our dirtbikes quite often. Sure makes a difference in bearing life.

11. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

AFAIK those bearings aren't a "tightening up" type.

Replace everything. Those parts are dirt cheap. That is not a component that will fail kindly.

dave3593 and drop like this.
  12. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i put my pegs on jackstands and went to loosen the rear axle nut. if the rear wheel moves, time to replace the linkage and swinagarm bearings. it's not too bad of a job. did mine this spring.

13. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

Sorted lads I will be ordering some bearings for the swing arm, may as well do the steering head ones as well.

14. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

my R6 doesn't have any play in the swingarm but its a 2017, my FS450 has play and its completely normal, there's a company who sells a rebound stopper that keeps pressure down on the swingarm at full extension.