1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Addicted to pressure washing...?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, May 31, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not a clue, something cheap from Amazon. Doesn't get a lot of use so didn't need a great one.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

One of my favorite accessories for the PW is the quick connect fitting (like an air compressor fitting) and hose turn off valve, so yo dont have to walk all the way back to the spicket to turn the water off. Makes setup and tear down super easy and pretty dry for about $11 in parts

awalk9905 and worthless like this.
  3. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I have it on every hose and nozzle at the house. If you go this route, make sure you get the fittings that have a water stop fitting. Otherwise, when you disconnect it, it keeps shooting out water and you’ll get a shower if you try to reconnect it without shutting off the water.
    Cheap and easy https://www.amazon.com/Melnor-65098...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I have gone down a research rabbit hole here.

Need a pressure washer primarily to wash down a dog run. We have turf over the concrete, and I need to spray it down a couple of times per week. Will also use for cleaning concrete and mineral build-up around the pool, an RV, stucco on a 2-story home, driveway, etc. Pretty much everything will be light- to medium-duty.

Right now, pretty set on a Ryobi electric unit that's very highly rated and reviewed. Any reason I should stay away from an electric unit? I like the idea of not dicking around with a carb if I don't use it for an extended period of time. Got tired of dealing with that at my old home with a bunch of gas-powered lawn equipment (the new place is all turf and concrete!!!). Looking at the 2,300psi version.

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I suspect, your duty cycle will exceed what that unit can handle.

I put Sea Foam in all my gas cans and drain my pressure washer after each use and put it back in my can.

6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

They work well. Mine cleans a 14” wide path, with a 3100 psi Troy-Bilt.

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

You can say that again

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

easy to ruin a wood deck with a PW.

9. 88/532

Use the 25 or 40 degree tips, you should be fine. Start at 40. Never use the 0 degree tip.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

I like the vid of the guy who built a waterjet (cutter) out of a PW

or the one who does hydroforming for 2-stroke headers with one

11. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

It seems that being addicted to pressure washing could very well be an indication of an anal personality.

Mixing PW and an anal mind would be adverse to one's health.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Gas powered you can use a sewer jetter and it's a great snake. much better than a hand or even motorized one for clearing plumbing.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MV3D542/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i like my craftsman Honda 2800 psi, but looks like craftsman/lowes switched to B&S now in that model. This one still has the Honda engine
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...sure-Washer-with-Honda-Engine-CARB/1000730692

I do also have an electric small ryobi one to wash the cars if it's early in the morning, otherwise I use the gas one if it's after 10am. Gas>>>electric

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  13. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Do those engines mean anything? It's just marketing now, right?

You see the same washer with Yamaha, Subaru, Honda, Briggs, Generac, Kohler, etc. nowadays, I'm guessing they're all the same.

I think Simpson still uses actual GCV160 Honda motors, but the ones who don't list the actual motor model are questionable.

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's a gas engine spinning a pump. I don't think the names on anything means shit. If it starts and runs reliably who cares who's name is on it. I buy on gas tank size. He with the biggest gas tank refills less often.

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’ve used a lot of pressure washers, for work. Subaru engines are the pinnacle. They’re so much smoother than the rest. I have them on two pieces of equipment. Honda would be my 2nd choice.

BigBird likes this.
  16. Phl218

Phl218 .

in safety class in college, there was an anecdote about a guy who blew up his bent-over, floor sweeping, pants and coat-wearing co-worker's rectum with pressurized air and thereby killed him.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

my one is a Honda GVC160, don't know about what is out now. I'm pretty sure Honda wouldn't just throw it's name on someone's other branded stuff, especially engines, but it's 2020, who knows

ducnut likes this.
  18. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Anybody in SE Michigan looking for a heavier duty unit I have 3 from my storage unit that I am selling.

All work fine, all pumps were filled with glycol before winter, and I always run my stuff outta gas before I store it.

19. 88/532

Caveat. Maintenance on said PWs. Anal is a plus.

Honda GVC 190, change the oil more than recommended. Only a half qt or so in the there, so it’s cheap.

Spares. Carb is $22, water pump is $90, rocker arm set is $15, so keep em’ on hand. All available on Amazon btw. Especially the rocker arms, they can crack and cause starting issues, or worse. Easy to replace, and setting valve lash is easy to do also..

ducnut likes this.
  20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I don't need a PW but I applaud your work ethic.