1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best stationary bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Oct 24, 2020.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Thinking about getting a stationary pedal bike for home to keep the boy active in the winter time? He like.the ones at the gym with a screen and can follow a trail. Is the palaton worth there money? What else is out there?

2. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Only recommendation is avoid the Nordictrack Commercial VR23. Bike was junk and everything about the experience was terrible although I was eventually able to return it and get a refund.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  3. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Honestly, just get a Cycleops trainer for your current road bike and set it up in front of the tv or computer.

I use to love cycling while watching Moto GP, wsbk races

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  4. Major

Major Well-Known Member

I have the peloton, and really like it. My fitness level has improved dramatically. I got mine barely used on craigslist. Echelon makes a bike about half the cost of the Peleton, a lot of you tube content on both bikes.

G Dawg likes this.
  5. Damnit I was perfectly happy with my spin bike till this thread.

Now I need a Peloton.

6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

You don’t already own 5? Shocking

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. The night is still young...

:D

8. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Another vote for the regular road bike, set up on a trainer, in front of a TV. I have done it this way for many many years, and it works great. If you are a serious bicyclist, then this is going to be way more advanced in hardware and fit for you than any "bicycle" imitation. Although you can get bicycle ride tapes or websites, I also like to watch motorcycle race tapes while I spin, and I find it sort of inspirational to go harder faster. I have used the fancy stationary bikes at the gym a fair amount too, and their dumb seats and cranks and handlebar placement are not to my liking.

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Suzuki?

:D

Knotcher and GixxerJohn011 like this.
  10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So what's a good one?

11. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

Love my Tacx Neo 2 smart trainer. Keeps things fun and interesting with dozens of courses of every type from all over Europe, and I’m riding my own road bike.

12. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

OUCH!

13. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I have a CycleOps H2 smart trainer. It uses bluetooth from my AppleTV or iPad to vary the resistance as the course goes on Zwift as I ride.

The current model is the H3. (https://www.saris.com/product/h3). I got mine for less than this...I bought a "scratch and dent" model as they were phasing out the H2 model and saved a couple hundred dollars. I'm still looking for the scratch or dent on this thing.

Anyway...I absolutely love it.

14. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I have a peloton. They are well made and spin smoothly. I typically hate instructors but I basically just train with 2 of the female instructors for uh, motivation.

I searched for a beeb tag but none showed.

I’ll start the “beeb” group tonight.

15. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Not exactly a stationary bike, but it's not NOT exactly a stationary bike either. But I'll throw the Assault Bike out there. Should we call it an "exercise bike" versus "stationary bike"? Assault Bike will let you get to places you didn't know you wanted to go, intensity wise. I think it could just as easily be used to slog along for an hour too though.

16. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

If it is your first or only workout machine, i would forgo the stationary bike, and go with a rowing machine. better overall workout. arms, legs, abs, shoulders, and cardio all in one. concept 2 rowers are the most popular ones in the gyms. they are worth it. we bought one over the summer, new. it took about 6-8 weeks to get, they do pop up on fb marketplace, and CL regularly.

with that said, we are looking to add to our workout arsenal, by adding a stationary bike trainer. i am not a fan of the spin bikes, just seem monotonous, unless they are accompanied by a "program" for circuit, hills, etc... the "real bike trainers" seem like the way to go, especially if you are a peddler already.

as always, your results may vary. Ski

17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I just did a quick check on Amazon.
    Saris CycleOps Fluid 2 is in stock . $319
    MSRP is $299.99

So it's not a terrible deal seeing as none of my suppliers have any trainers in stock.
    I would stay far away from any of the knock offs that are out there.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

get a roller and work on being smooth on the pedals

19. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I use the Fluid 2 with Zwift and it works great. A smart trainer connected to Zwift is nice, but I don’t think the smart trainer connection is totally necessary. I can still vary my intensity and if my avatar is going up a hill, the virtual speed slows down and I have to pedal harder to go faster. Works fine.

20. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

If you're planning on riding with groups or training for an event yes.
    Not for someone who is looking for casual indoor riding.
    I know of several people getting hurt coming off the rollers due to inexperience.

Once a Wanker.. and TurboBlew like this.