1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D printers

Discussion in 'General' started by nd4spd, Aug 8, 2020.

1. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Got my V2 on Sunday and had it up and running by Monday. Compared to previous experiences, this thing has been a breeze to setup and use. It seems solidly built as well. Only minor design issue I've seen so far is the location of the SD card slot. It's a bit tough to get to with my big hands under the overhang of the print platform.

Printed a few knick knacks with the included white filament just to test things out, then switched to some PLA+ from MicroCenter. First real part is a toggle switch mount which replaces the factory ignition key switch on my 749. Had to print it a couple of times as I played with the tolerances on the holes. Only thing I'm still having issues with is the counter sunk holes. Since I have them on both sides of the part, one is always going to be facing down when it prints and while it eventually got hole filled in, it will need some cleanup. Maybe I'd be better off printing thicker walls and just drilling out the countersunk area.

2. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Put a chamfer on the underside countersink at whatever angle your printer can handle and drill it out after.

jksoft likes this.
  3. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Any of you guys that have used the Creality Ender printers know if they're good for ABS, or only PLA? I'm looking at an Ender 5 Plus as my first 3D printer. Also are all the filament brands about the same, or are there some that are known to be better quality?

4. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

No issues running inland ABS on my Ender 5. You do need to make an enclosure for it. Anything will do. Just something to keep the air relatively still and warm. Otherwise it will peel from the base.

5. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! Since it uses a cubic aluminum frame, it looks like attaching some panels on all sides should be pretty easy. Not sure about the top though, but I'll think of something. Ideally I'll want to use some clear acrylic or polycarbonate panels.

6. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

You can download a .stp file of the ender 3 from github to make your design a little easier. I believe there is a link on the Creality website.

7. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Anyone have any experience with stand alone 3D scanners that aren't based on a junk phone app?

8. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I just bought a revopoint pop2 during their kickstarter campaign back in December. I'll let you know how it is when it gets here by the end of the month (or so they say). They claim 0.1 resolution. If it does 0.25 I'll be happy with it. The machinist in me is very skeptical about 0.004"

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  9. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

We had pretty good luck with our NextEngine, but I've heard they may be out of business. For $2500-3000, we got a lot of miles out of it. Software was decent, and if you prepped the surface correctly, you could do pretty accurate scans. Not great for something really small or detailed. We used it for scanning products, bottles, etc., which is relatively easy. Not much that I know of between that, and a $20k+ Creaform.

10. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

We got ours about a month ago. My engineering team isn't happy with it, even for the little that it cost. I think they just need to show a bit of patience. One guy is used to high end scanners, so I think it may be more of an attitude problem than necessarily the unit.

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Check out "superfast matt" on youtube. He did a phone/app comparison to some specialty scanners a little while ago. Good channel.

12. Dan Dubeau

I don't have high hopes for professional level results, but I think for the hobby grade stuff I plan on using it for at home it will fill a need. I've blown $500 on way worse stuff before lol. If I need any higher resolution reverse engineering done I just bring it to work and use the CMM.

I can see how ones expectations coming from pro grade hardware would be tainted though lol. I have no experience with scanners but have used CMMs for years, and working with the faro arm scanner guy when he comes in to certify our bigger jobs that don't fit the cmm . I did get to play with one for a bit at a customers about 8-9 years ago, but I imagine things have changed a lot in that time. I know the faro scanner guy will routinely tell me things are out 0.25mm when I KNOW they are in within 0.05mm verified on our CMM. He'll check it again and tell me it's out 0.14 the other way.... That's what I'm basing my expectations on here with a $500 unit...... I'm sure his unit will do better, but he really DGAF when he comes.

13. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

We've used Faro in the past, but the hardware and software aged out, and I didn't want to pony up. We're making packaging, so it's not like it's the tolerance of a Swiss watch. I do like the Creaform options, and a gun attached to a Faro can step up accuracy to a point. That said, I think the processing software is as big a factor. We've had some high end ($60k+) scanners demoed, and they're super quick and slick when they're working with their demo part. I give them something that we need to do, and suddenly...."uh....um....well, it should work much faster than this, but you kind of threw us a curve ball" You mean I asked you to show me real world work flow? How dare I? We had that guy do a part that we did with our NextEngine, and it took him 12 hours to do what we did in 2.5. I'd say the NE unit did +/- .015.

At some point I'd like to try that RevO thing myself, as I have use for a certain level of reverse engineering capability for my other business. Certainly not going to trust the word of my closed minded Engineers.

14. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

I'm interested in more feedback about the pop2 also. I looked at the Kickstarter but was hesitant to pull the trigger. Post up when either of you get some experience with it

15. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I've been poking around on and off for a week or so looking for options. The Revopoint is about the only thing that registers before you spend a few grand, which I'm not opposed to, but I'm not sure I require more resolution than that will provide (provided they can deliver the resolution they promise).

SEO means that a Google search can no longer yield what I'm looking for besides pages of (mostly irelavent) ads instead of real reviews and I don't know enough to about them to know what I don't know.

16. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Might want to get that FARO scanner checked. Ours scanner would calibrate to 0.0035" max, and was pretty consistent for us. Being around 0.010" is a bit much. But then again, if you need critical, gotta use the touch probe.

I've been eyeing the REVO as well. The youtube videos are kinda mixed. Seems like getting something scanned and having it not lose position is the biggest issue. One of the forums that's more for commercial scanning had a couple threads of people trying it and giving up. Too much time wasted trying to get a successful scan. Said the cheapest one that was still functional is the Einscan, but those are a couple grand.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  17. Dan Dubeau

Yeah, the faro guy isn't that great. With my experience with them and the limits of measuring stuff in a large work envelope, 0.15mm, is about the best they can reasonably achieve positionally in a 4-6' window. And that's with a probe. With the scanner, it's about 0.15-0.25mm. It all depends on the user. We build checking fixtures, and most of the operators we get in to ceritfy the big ones with an arm aren't that experienced actually inspecting fixtures. They are used to measuring parts. We need 10% better than that (theoretically....) I wish we would just buy our own as we do enough big jobs now that it would justify the cost, but....

I based my expectations of the pop2 on most of the bad reviews saying it's shit are professionals that have high expectations because they use a high end scanner already. And also low level you tube muppets that can't get good results because they have zero foundational knowledge of dimensional metrology. It's like reading 1 star amazon reviews saying a product is shit because the delivery guy was slow. Read through the lines, and I think it will be a decent product if used within the scope of it's abilities, and by a competent person in a stable controlled environment.

One of the main goals is to be able to scan something, then be able to modify the mesh and produce a pattern for casting. Also making custom electronics mounts for stuff (scan the device, machine 3d print a case, etc.) Another is to scan my wooden lure carvings and make them 100% symmetrical to resin print a master to pull a silicone mold from. I do a bunch of stuff like that all the time so I think I can find utility from it. Hopefully it's not complete shit, but I watched enough videos I think I got an honest expectation from the average. I'm not expecting miracles, or a high end unit for $500. $500 doesn't buy you much in that arena.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  18. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Yeah. When you get spoiled with the good stuff, never want to use anything that isn't as nice again. We'll see how the 2 does.

Of course, you get a scanner. Then you have to learn all the point cloud, stl, reverse engineering software and steps to it. That's where all the difficult tedium lies.

Rebel635 likes this.
  19. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

The positioning after each scan is what I'm hearing my guys complain about. Early versions of the Next Engine software had a similar issue. I would say the actual data the RevO is collecting is decent. It's just probably the software is limited in what it can do with it. As for editing the mesh....I don't know if that software has the capability, but if it does I would be surprised if you could do anything with it. We pull the NE scans into Solidworks and edit the mesh there, though we're looking for something different from you guys. We just need a water-tight surface. I would pony the money for a $20-40k scanner, if they could show me that the post process is any quicker or better than what we currently have. They still haven't been able to do that.

20. Dan Dubeau

I use Rhino as a daily driver for nurbs surfacing (as well as solidworks, mechanical desktop and edgecam). Have been a huge rhino fan since V2.0 back in 2004. Just started playing around in blender a few years ago when I got my 3d printers for mesh manipulation and sculpting etc. I'm sure the new software and point cloud stuff will be a learning curve like all software's, but I'm sure I'll figure it out and whatever workarounds I need to get something useful out of it.

Positioning is something to consider. Most stuff I plan on doing will fit on a turntable. The bigger stuff will probably present a challenge for proper technique. Good thing for youtube university :D.