1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another truck thread...

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Time to replace my 2001 F250, after many good years of service. Really doesn’t have to happen today, but would like to at least be ready should the deal of a lifetime present itself.

The options are quite overwhelming. Especially trim levels.

I travel quite a bit with work, so gas mileage can’t be Tundra like. I don’t tow much these days, so the smaller efficiency motors have some appeal. Only need a half ton this time. Must be crew cab, 4WD, adaptive cruise, and Car Play compatible. Less than 40K on the clock. I use the bed quite a bit, so I’m against the super short 5.5ish beds.

Looks like you can find that in the high 30s in a 2017ish F150. Appears that you can select from any of the big three of you go to the mid 40s, which is the absolute most that I’d pay.

I await the advice of the Beeb:

Search for a pink unicorn F150?

Pick the “best” of the big three and drop 45K?

Avoid a certain year/model?

Get a diesel Jetta with a bunch of buttons for tree fiddy?

2. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Stay away from the GM/Chevy 5.3/8 speed combo. It's a fucking lemon.

Go with Dodge, seriously. They're hard to beat and have all the options listed.

cav115 and dobr24 like this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

12 cylinder diesel big turbo dually.

Make sure it needs two parking spots to fit. Bigger is better

Or Minivan

~sent from mobile

4. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I realized it was an option if you’d get into the 40s, and instantly assumed it was the way to go.

I just built one, and unless I missing something you can get a brand new Laramie for about $50k.

I assume I want that electronic option that gives me like two more MPG? The hybrid type thing?

5. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Fixed it for ya!

BigBird likes this.
  6. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

15-17 F150 with 5.0 CC and long bed. probably take you a minute to find one but there it is.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

One of the Dads showed up to practice with a brand spanking new absolutely loaded Dodge 1500 quad cab/ short beds last night. "Took my Jeep in for service and came home with this. The deals are insane right now and they threw money at my Jeep."

I think he said he was paying less then what you'd pay a month for a basic Corolla for 60 months.

So, crazy deal have started.

8. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

damn. kinda makes me want to ditch the highlander and get back into a truck

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d suggest having a look around at Enterprise car sales. They have nicely equipped, V-6, 4X4, quad cab Rams at very reasonable prices. They get great fuel mileage and are nice to drive. I rented one and was very impressed, compared to my ‘06 Silverado 5.3.

I second GM 8-spd being lemons.

10. Circacee

I rented a Dodge for my trip to Utah, a 2019 Classic with a big ol 5.7 hemi. It had all the bells and whistlers you'd want (except the cooled seats) but it did well. I averaged 18.5 mpg from Los Angeles to SLC back down to Zion and finally Los Angeles. That was with my trackbike and all the crap inside, plus my luggage and the Mrs. It did not have the Auto Start/Stop and even then, I was amazed.

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

If you no longer need a "real" truck, I think you would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least test drive a Ridgeline. AWD, 5000lbs towing, 1580lbs payload, 30 mpg/hwy-(YouTubed). The bed is short, but fat...way wider than you'd think, no wheel well humps, has a trunk and the tailgate is dual function - swing or drop.
    Rides like an F-350 with two tons of shit in the bed...luxury smooth.
    2020 MSRP for top trim (RTL-E, not Black Edition) around $42K.

FWIW, this is coming from a one-ton dually owner also looking at the Ridgeline as a replacement for our aging JGC and, once our camper is gone, I'll have no need for a "truck".

Ridgeline on the left.

honda-ridgeline-2019-ford-ranger-2019-gmc-canyon-2019-jeep-gladiator-2020-cl--04.jpg

Once a Wanker.. and cha0s#242 like this.
  12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That truck on the right looks sexy AF. Which one is that? :D

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The mall crawler? :D

BigBird and SuddenBraking like this.
  14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Nothing in that entire picture worth driving.

Once a Wanker.. and BigBird like this.
  15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I recently rented a RAM from Enterprise. Went into "limp" mode multiple times in one day. Not impressed with that "hemi." The instrument cluster looked like a throwback to the early 80's.

16. Circacee

I love my 06 5.3 Silverado!

17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

[​IMG]

18. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Are the little diesels in the F-150 any good?

19. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I am usually a GMC guy but we have had a few problems with my wife 1500 5.3. Some electronic valve issue and the "Chevy" shimmy in the transmission. Luckily all fixed under warranty. Both are known issues with the 5.3 liter with 8 speed. Used truck prices in East TN/South East seem to be crazy right now. If you don't need full size my buddy has a 2019 Chevy Colorado that is really nice. I heard the diesel is getting 30mph hwy. I believe you can get a diesel for around $42,000

20. Critter

Critter Registered

How many miles on your 2001? 4x4? 2x4? Crew Cab? how much you want for it?