1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kindle Reader or Amazon Fire

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Oct 20, 2020.

1. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I'd like to start taking advantage of e-books and the RRW electronic edition. Does any one have either of these and what are the pros and cons? It looks like the Kindle may not be able to access RRW, but I can't tell for sure.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have both. Fire is a low end tablet that is built to work well with Amazon. Kindle is like a book, monochrome with a battery that lasts for days, but that is all it does. Not great for magazines with color pics.

sheepofblue likes this.
  3. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

That's what I was looking for - how does the Fire do in regards to e-books?

4. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I’ve used a Fire for e-books. They are super cheap and work great with books from Amazon. I’ve read PDF books that I emailed myself too, it works but doesn’t utilize the same features like bookmarks (from my experience). Also haven’t tried it with e-books from a library, not sure it that app would be available on a Fire tablet.

5. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I progressed from a Kindle to a Fire. I read all books, watch movies, shows, MotoGP stream, play games, etc. My sister still reads with Kindle paperwhite? Because it's tiny and light and doesn't wake her up when it falls on her face when she reads in bed and falls asleep, lol. Also, the Kindle has that no glare screen so you can read on the beach... maybe Fire has something like that now but I haven't looked into it.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Fire is fine for e-books. If you read magazines electronically, it's the better way to go. For books, I prefer the Kindle simply for battery life. My wife and I use the Fire for devotionals. It is far easier to switch back and forth between different books. You just have to be aware of battery life. Yeah, I know I could probably do all of it on my phone, but I have an aversion to having to answer a book.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Regular books are much better on the Kindle. Fire is for everything else.

Senna, pscook and R Acree like this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I use the hell out of the kindle app on my ipad. I use it for enough other stuff there'd be no point in just the reader for me.

9. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Mom had a reader. Advantages are easier on the eyes and crazy great battery life. She spent a lot of time in doctor offices and the hospital at the end so those were great. For myself I use applications on an iPad, Mac or at work the web based one.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I switched mine over to the sepia mode or whatever it is and that helps the eyes thing.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

12. Chango

Chango Something clever!

The sepia mode is better than normal, but the regular Kindle is still much better for just reading books. Of course, the regular Kindle can't do colors or videos at all, so if you only want one device the Fire/iPad is the way to go.

13. tito

tito Well-Known Member

look at the Levono Tab 8 8in inch tablet as an alternative to the fire. https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/android-tablets/lenovo-tab-series/Lenovo-TB-8505/p/ZZITZTATB58 its a little more costly then the base fire, but way better, you are not locket to the Fire OS, which is a POS, and you have access to the google play store. My whole family has the fire tablets and they are a PITA compared to my Tab 4 (the link I provided replaced the tab 4)
    also it won't read kindle awz format, but moon reader is an awesome ebook reader if you have any unlocked mobi files....
    but if you are just wanting to read books... the kindle paper white is the way to go.