1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damn I miss my Dad...

Discussion in 'General' started by RRP, Oct 17, 2020.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

My Dad drove OTR for 30 years (so did my wife’s). He was a fleet/company driver until 1981, when he bought the first of many trucks as an OO. I was 12 y/o then and when he brought that first used ‘76 Transtar COE home I thought we were rich.

I spent most of JH/HS going on the road with him whenever I could. I loved being on the road with my old man. They are some of my favorite childhood memories.

As one of the last old school Teamsters, he made a good living and took good care of us. When I was almost done with high school, he asked me what my plan was. At the time, he was pulling flatbeds hauling steel, which to me was the coolest of all the truck driving jobs (for obvious reasons). I told him I was going to get a truck and put it on with Valley Steel (his company) and work with him. I had assumed that was his plan too.

Much to my chagrin, he announced that “no you’re not, these jobs won’t exist in 10 years.” Needless to say I was crushed. He made it clear I would be going to school and I would get some kind of formal training so I could take of myself and my future family. (That’s another story.)

The passing of my father in law several weeks ago has created a lot of voids, one of them being his “retirement job” hauling grain for a local friend and farmer for the 20 years after he “stopped driving”.

I volunteered to fill in this year. I got put in “Leroy’s Truck”, a worn out ‘93 IH with about half a million miles on it. But...it’s a “big truck” and I love it.

4C493279-95D9-497D-9F94-E85D9C410B2C.jpeg

tony 340, BigBird, malamute and 20 others like this.
  2. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Thanks for sharing your story. I understand.

My biggest wish would be if my Dad was alive to meet my son. He'd get a serious laugh out of my little guy and the sh*t he comes up with and the
    sh*t he tries to get away with now and again.

3. Pride & Joy

Pride & Joy Well-Known Member

Very cool. I'll always be grateful to my Dad for sharing a love of motorcycles and cars.

YamahaRick likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Felt lucky to get the opportunity to meet my father about 10 yrs ago... trying to make up for lost time ever since. He hangs out with my childhood friends more than me these days.
    Meeting him made me realize what a small world it is as he knows many of the adults that had a positive influence on me. We just realized, last week, he was very close to my buddy's father in law
    prior to his passing. His wife dug through some family photo albums while we were talking and he was in pictures at many family events.

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Mine has been gone 50 years next week,sometimes it seems like it was yesterday.

Senna likes this.
  6. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Bad ass dude. I’m going to Nebraska next week to drive a grain truck for my father-in-law. Unlike you, I have no idea what I’m doing.

RRP likes this.
  7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Tell me about it. There's not a day in my life when both topics are not part of it.

Thanks again, "Yamaha Charlie"!

bragg.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    TurboBlew, tony 340, BigBird and 3 others like this.
  8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

My pops also drove for over 30 years. Everyone thought I would drive but I wound up building the damn things. Been at Freightliner 22 years now

9. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

thank you for sharing your story, and the love of you and your father. lost my father to the big C, over 30 years ago. he passed 10 days before his first and only grandchild was born. (my daughter). not many days go by where i am not reminded of his guidance, passions, or lessons. what i wouldnt give for one more day with him, fully healthy, & nothing holding either of us back.

Ski

10. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

I am in a different boat with my dad. I was always at his side growing up, and we did a ton of things together. He is where I got my love of cars, and my ability to fix damn near anything. We went to races, pit crewed for a race team, worked on old cars and spent tons of time in the shop. Then, in 2001 he had a stroke while in The Netherlands on a vacation. He is not the same person. He was always stubborn, but the stroke has changed him and he is extremely hard to get along with. I will still go and see him, or take him to a race weekend, and enjoy having him there. But the disagreements always blow up. I honestly don't even know how my mom puts up with him most days. I love my dad, I just wish the old him would come back. Even if just so that my kids could see the other side of him.

11. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I’m sorry you’re feeling this way right about now man but at least you have a lot of good memories to keep you going...that’s awesome.

I went to three of my friends father’s funeral this past year so I’ve been on a spend as much time with dad as possible kick because there is nothing worse than regrets especially when they are concerning someone who is no longer present on the earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

My Dad was a trucker too. He drove a Gulf/BP fuel tanker 500 miles a day for close to 40 yrs. Some of my best memories were getting to ride with him sometimes. I always thought I was some big shit riding in his truck.

BigBird likes this.
  13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Cherish who he was back then as well as the dude he has evolved into for whatever reason. :beer:

YamahaRick and Shenanigans like this.
  14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Here you go Gary. Got this on the wall in my shop - off Dad’s last truck. ‘97 Classic XL Series.

8F49F7BD-72CA-4DA5-BC62-93F0542C96B1.jpeg