1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 track bike vibrations

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Brutal, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

I have a track bike that seems to have a very fine vibration, changed chain and tightened the headstock bearing but still really bad?

It get seriously bad when going through the twisties in 3rd-4th gear at 12k-16k rpm

Any help appreciated.

2. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

any idea where the vibration is coming from? do you feel it in your hands, tank, feet, etc.
    are you sure the rear wheel is aligned properly if you changed the chain?

checked the steering head bearings?

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i'm simply overwhelmed by the sheer volume of info given to diagnose such a problem ... :cool:

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

RPM dependent = Engine

Speed dependent = Chassis

MELK-MAN likes this.
  5. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

It's a high frequency vibration that I think is speed dependant, I'll try the headstock bearing and see if that makes a difference, the vibration can be felt all the way up my ass and through my inner thighs.

An even bigger issue that came apparent at jerez was the inability to hold a constant throttle or get on the gas easy when coming out of the corner without it stuttering and feeling like it was cutting out, only seemed to happen when hot and never when WOT

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Random ideas:
    - bent wheel
    - out of balance or out of round tire
    - bad wheel bearings
    - out of round or bent sprocket
    - loose chassis bolts like subframe, engine, etc

Based on super limited info here, I think the last is most likely. The rest are ez to rule out either way.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If you feel it in the seat, then it's really likely not headstock bearings. I had a broken clutch basket that I swore was an out of balance wheel because the vibration was only apparent at speed. However, it turned out that the vibration was worse at high RPM/high load, which is experienced going down the straightaway.

Another consideration is your fuel maps or something in the injectors/EFI system. A misfiring cylinder (plugged injector or bad spark plug) can cause high frequency (or even low frequency) vibrations, and a misfire can also cause poor low throttle opening issues.

I suggest a trip to your local dyno operator for a full load/high RPM analysis.

8. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

For anyone interested I believe I've found the issue to be a rough wheel bearing in the rear wheel.

DBConz likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the cush drive needle one?

10. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

Its the one on the disc side man, rough as fcuk!!