1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you still get "rich" racing bikes in America?

Discussion in 'General' started by HPPT, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not looking at the principal ever running out, just living off the income from it and at this point we wouldn't need remotely all the income so the principal would grow.

Given even a million in my 20's I could have lived exactly as I have and I'd have a bunch more than the original million even with the market ups and downs.

track wagon likes this.
  2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Curious what is your house payment and what do you think the average payment is right now?

3. I’ve pretty much made up my mind that I’m never going to retire. :D

I like to buy too much shit.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Weren't interest rates when you were in your 20s considerably higher than they are today? (Not to mention $1 million back then was a lot more money)

Dude, this discussion does not apply to you. We're talking about a 35-year-old retiring today.

5. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

But Mongo likes to think he's still a 35-year-old.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

1200 ish and what does average have to do with anything? Live within your means...

StaccatoFan likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have no idea what they were. There is no reason a 20 something year old couldn't retire right now on 2-2.5 million dollars. None. 35 is even easier.

track wagon likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Therein lies the rub :D

I could retire on a half mill easily right now, problem is I don't have remotely close to it so between that and toys retirement ain't happening.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, Mongo lives on 40 grand or less a year and lives pretty damn well. He realizes that he could live on less if need be. What he doesn't get is why people seem to think they need a couple hundred grand a year in income to retire.

SpeedyE likes this.
  10. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

ha ha who do you agree with on here lately?

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The tons of posts I don't respond to? :crackup:

I just find it funny that people seem to think a riders having sponsors that pay for things is different than the team having sponsors that pay for things.

12. It shouldn’t take much to retire, once someone reaches near retirement age. At that point there shouldn’t be a mortgage or car payment. The only monthly bills should be little shit like cell phone, utilities, etc.

A lot of it depends on when someone buys their “forever home”. I have worked with guys that have been in a bind because they bought/built a $300k-$400k house, in their mid 50’s. It’s hard to retire with that kind of debt unless you’ve already got a good retirement built up.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's where living within your means comes into play which people seem not to understand at all these days. For me having a house payment until I'm in my 80's isn't remotely within my means. If I bought a house that expensive right now I'd better have at least 75% to put down and a short loan term.

SpeedyE and Shocker like this.
  14. John Branch

John Branch 90125

If most of us on here lived within our means , we probably would have never
    gone motorcycle racing.:Poke::cool:

SpeedyE, Razr, track wagon and 4 others like this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Absolute Truth.

track wagon likes this.
  16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I can't speak for others, but all of my retirement modeling and planning has me keeping the same lifestyle I enjoy now. There's three options - I hit the number dead on, I save too much, or I save too little. One of those options is fairly catastrophic so I'd prefer to err on the more conservative side.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing wrong with that at all, I know doing the same is why I could retire on less than what others would want - but that's where I think the conversation is diverging. When talking about the mythical 2-2.5 million dollars for a 20 something I'm talking about retiring and easily meeting your needs - all based on what I consider to be needs which is based on what I did on less income that the 2-2.5 would bring (at any point with any interest rates blah blah blah). Others may want a lot more than that and more power to them but it doesn't change that you can retire on that amount at a very young age. You may not want to if you want a new car all the time or bigger houses or fancier toys or a vacation every year.

SpeedyE likes this.
  18. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Yeah but that specific set of facts does not support my argument so we bury those m'kay.

:D

HPPT and Gorilla George like this.
  19. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Safe withdrawal rates anywhere between 3-5% are reasonable. I would never touch principle. I've had an IRA since I was 18, I'm no fool to the numbers. I don't have debt. I buy vehicles cash. I don't buy fancy clothes. The cost to run my household, with 3 kids, is around $2k a month, and that includes some nice life insurance.

I don't need to replace my salary in retirement, I only need to replace my expenses at a withdrawal rate that is safe. I can do that with $1mil. I use my salary now to ensure I am well positioned. My intention is to save more like $2-4MM, but I can absolutely make it on one. Carry on.....

track wagon likes this.
  20. Agree completely.

Ive been paying 3-4x the regular house payment for the past 18 months or so, and the house will be paid off before the year is up. We will move once we decide where we want to live, and I’ll sell this one and use that to buy the new one. Or at least make it so the loan is very small, like you said.

I plan on never having a house payment again. Or if I do, it will be small and paid off quickly.

But I figure I’ll always have a car payment, at least until I get ready to retire. I like to change vehicles every 2-3 years.

I always get the lowest possible interest rate, so I have no desire to drain savings just to pay a car off. I’d rather just make the payment, then trade it in when I get tired of it.

younglion likes this.